Lotus T127 launched (Pictures)

Test driver Fairuz Fauzy shook down the Lotus T127 at Silverstone

Test driver Fairuz Fauzy shook down the Lotus T127 at Silverstone

Lotus has officially revealed the car it will return to F1 with in 2010 at a launch ceremony in London.

See below for pictures of the Lotus T127 – the first Lotus since 1994.

Image (C) Lotus F1

154 comments on Lotus T127 launched (Pictures)

1. Myles Woerner said on 12th February 2010, 18:20

I’m not gonna lie, I love this livery. Best looking car on the grid, hands down.

2. Beautiful looking car. Must say though, it’s cetainly not as “swoopy” looking in design as the other cars on the grid. However, it looks a lot better that the car USF1 has presented. (They have not broken cover yet of course.)

3. Bartholomew said on 12th February 2010, 18:29

Quite good looking ! I am only missing a touch of gold, could be in the WHEELS, where the yellow is
    Cheers

4. Looks ugly as sin, worse than the Mclaren. It’s mainly due to the colour of it, but also because of the huge buck teeth it has at the front!

Still… for as long as it works better than the Virgin (which I did have high hopes for…)

• fabio pellim said on 12th February 2010, 18:38

hahaha James I didn’t see you post, taste it is something unique, very funny read my post after your, cheers

• The car is the second prettiest this season after Renault.
        It does look vintage – makes me feel like it’s 1998 again ;-)

And…

NO SHARK FIN!!

• James said on 13th February 2010, 0:49

It just looks awful to me. My opinion… The Mercedes, Ferrari, Sauber and Virgin car(s) look the best of the bunch so far. But then looks aren’t everything, or so they say…!

• SteveH said on 12th February 2010, 21:26

The front wing looks like it’s ready to be broken off, IMHO.

5. fabio pellim said on 12th February 2010, 18:38

Maybe it won’t win a race, but definitely won my heart, the most beautiful car on the grid on 2010

6. Aleksandar Serbia said on 12th February 2010, 18:52

It’s got British all over it, i cannot decide between Jaguars F1 entry and this one, they are both distinctive to rest of the field but i wouldn’t say more appealing.

7. Andreas said on 12th February 2010, 19:00

This is the first thing that comes to my mind:

8. Myles Woerner said on 12th February 2010, 19:04

Oh and Keith, can we get the forum back up and running? I’m really missing it.

9. GeeMac said on 12th February 2010, 19:09

That looks mega, I love the livery, and I love the lack of a shark fin!

Just an observation: Didn’t Lotus only add the letter “T” to their turbo powered cars?

• The Lotus turbo cars had the “T” designation after the number, e.g. 97T. The new Lotus is T127.

• GeeMac said on 13th February 2010, 14:14

I can see that, so why have they named it “T127″? It should just be “127”. So have they strapped a turbo to that Cosworth engine without telling anyone?!?

10. three4three said on 12th February 2010, 19:22

Looks pretty good, if a little basic. I do like that yellow stripe though and the front wing is vastly more developed than the Virgin’s. And it’s good to see another car that suits the green ‘eco’ striped tyres (along with Force India).
    Any reason there’s no AirAsia on the livery, or is that part of the Naza Group on the rear wing?

11. Say 'no' to shark's fin. said on 12th February 2010, 19:25

Best looking car with Virgin.

McLaren = awful and giant shark fin.

Renault = nice colors, but again the awful and giant shark fin.

Red Bull = the shark fin strikes back.

Sauber = the WORST looking car on the grid by far.

• I like the Ferrari best (no fin) but I am almost regretting to say that I quite like the Sauber with its fin. Maybe bacause it is so ugly that it becomes appealing again?

• Dingle Dell said on 13th February 2010, 1:55

Well, out of 11 cars launched, 5 of them are without shark’s fin. I do hope that if USF1 & Campos make the grid, they would be without the ugly shark’s fin.

McLaren, Renault, Sauber, STR, Force India, Red Bull – these have SHARK’S FIN…

and oh, I pretty much dislike outboard mirrors too!!! Ferrari started it.

This year majority of the cars have them – Ferrari, Williams, Force India, STR, Red Bull, Sauber.

Thank God McLaren, Mercedes, Renault, Virgin, Lotus are running inboard mirrors.

Can’t wait for both shark’s fin and outboard mirrors and that appendage to support the outboard mirrors being banned in near future :D

12. LewisC said on 12th February 2010, 19:37

I think this looks like a car that’s been developed very quickly, and on a very tight budget. Air doesn’t create downforce by flowing in straight lines, it needs to flow around sculpted curves to create lift/drag as desired – so I worry that this will be a bit of a mobile chicane.

13. Very nice to see British Racing Green back on the grid. It’s interesting to see an official promo picture giving away at least a launch configuration of the car’s diffuser, which seems rather unheard of to me, compared to the relative secrecy the other teams did at the launches…

Sporting-wise, this is essentially a new operation, so while the team is obviously trying to market itself with the legacy of the Lotus brand in Grand Prix racing, it would make some sense to dismiss expectations for the moment and appreciate whatever results the team can achieve in the season coming up…

14. doncakes said on 12th February 2010, 20:22

Funny that so many teams go out of there way to not show you the diffuser, and here is Lotus with a high res shot WITH the press release.

Another no Shark fin car. Will be interesting to compair fin vs no fin for GP wins this season.

15. BNK Racing said on 12th February 2010, 20:31

well thats better….the spy shot earlier this week ddid it ZERO justice lol. with that said….i think we will have a harder time predicting the bottom 3 cars of each race than the top 3 lol (not incl accidents etc)

16. Marc Connell said on 12th February 2010, 21:04

looks like its been pulled from a typical British garage. Thats what i like about it!

17. Ned Flanders said on 12th February 2010, 21:15

Well everyone seems to love this livery- and to be fair I think it’s alright too- so let me be a pessimist and point out a few things which are wrong with it:

o The shade of green is too dark
    o The yellow stripes going down the car are too thin
    o Those yellow wheels look ridiculous
    o It has very few sponsors (though I suppose you could argue that’s a good thing)

18. Ned Flanders said on 12th February 2010, 21:19

Oh, and out of curiosity I’d love to see what this car might have looked like if the green was lighter.

If any photoshopper happens to read this could you do me a favour and create a Lotus in either a Jaguar green, or even Force India green? It would be much appreciated!

19. HounslowBusGarage said on 12th February 2010, 21:21

Why were they using what looked like intermediates on a dry track?

• Stealthman said on 13th February 2010, 0:53

They can’t run slicks on shakedown tests due to tyre restrictions. At least that’s what I’ve read in other places on this site.

20. Icthyes said on 12th February 2010, 21:25

Nice livery, maybe could have been a little better, car looks quite basic but maybe it wasa rush job and they have a few more things to come.