US F1 closes down

US F1 has closed its factory less than two weeks before it was supposed to begin competing in Formula 1.

According to Autosport the remaining staff have been laid off. I have been trying to contact the team for several days without success.

There has not yet been an official announcement from the team.

It remains to be seen if there will be time for their entry to be taken up by Stefan GP with the first practice session at Bahrain just ten days away.

Read more: US F1 set to abandon F1 bid

113 comments on US F1 closes down

1. Ledzep4pm said on 2nd March 2010, 20:42

Why didn’t the FIA give the place to a proper motor racing team like Lola or Prodrive, where we’d see good cars and good racing, and the ASTON MARTIN marque in F1

• mfDB said on 2nd March 2010, 21:00

everyone keeps saying this, but I’m pretty sure they were not ready and did not have cash either.

• Like everyone else, Prodrive would have been screwed by the sudden disappearance of the budget cap. Even if the application process was opened up again for 2011 I doubt Prodrive would apply without a budget cap in place.

• Patrickl said on 2nd March 2010, 23:24

Like I said, there is the “resource restriction agreement” in place.

Look at Virgin’s budget. They claim to be operating on the budget (resource level) as should be in place at the end of the glide path.

• If you can produce an F1 car for £60M with a budget cap then you can produce a car for £60M without a budget cap.

2. Alistair said on 2nd March 2010, 20:49

Not unexpected news!

I feel for the American fans; however, I’m not sad that USF1 is no more (or never was). The team was just a gimmick: a medium of getting American drivers into F1, by virtue of their nationality, not necessarily their talent. F1 is supposed to be the ‘pinnacle of motor sport’, not a training ground: that’s what the junior series are for. USF1 hopelessly underestimated the challenge of setting-up an F1 team and competing in the F1 World Championship. And it was largely through the machinations of the former FIA President that gave USF1 and the other newcomers a grid slot over more deserving candidates, in the first place. Many people are welcoming the new teams with open arms. But what’s so great about having cars that are 4-6 seconds per lap slower than the front-runners? What’s so great about the return of pay-drivers? It makes one have greater respect for the ‘achievements’ of Minardi…

PS. Regarding the ‘Lotus’ drivers, out of Jarno and Heikki, which driver will go backwards quickest in a race?! Just a joke; but I reckon it will be Jarno: I think Lewis made Heikki look ordinary, since Lewis is extraordinary.

• Gman said on 3rd March 2010, 2:56

I agree with pretty much everything you’ve said about USF1 except for the American drivers part…Windsor talked alot about that at first, but his comments on Kyle Busch and Danica Patrick showed just how removed from reality he was on the subject. When it became apparent that they were just looking for pay drivers, it showed that they had little interest in developing American talent.

I thought it made sense for the team to go with two experienced guys to start with and keep an American in the team as a reserve/tester, like Lotus has done with FF. However, Anderson/Windsor had little desire to even do that.

• Chris said on 3rd March 2010, 5:50

“what’s so great about having cars that are 4-6 seconds per lap slower than the front-runners?”

I’m sure it will do more for overtaking in F1 than all of the aero restrictions we have seen in recent years managed.. lol

3. his_majesty said on 2nd March 2010, 20:53

Reading that the two head hanchos of usf1 weren’t even there to give them the news. That seems very very small. I lost respect for peter a long time ago but still had respect for ken anderson. That has been flushed down the toilet. My shop was closed down last year, at least the company owner came and told all of us face to face like a MAN.

• Salty said on 2nd March 2010, 23:07

Quite right. Glad your employer had the decency to thank you all for your work before imparting this sad news.

Good luck in finding, well, given the climate, just finding. My best wishes are with you, as busy doing the same.

• his_majesty said on 2nd March 2010, 23:59

I actually own my own business now. It’s not quite wrenching on cars anymore, but love it.

4. Pengo said on 2nd March 2010, 20:57

Because there are enough teams based in the UK as it is. USF1 was an attempt to get a team based outside Europe. If/when USF1 makes it to the grid in 2011, it could open up the possibility of mfg teams in other parts of the world, following the trend of races spreading out to more places outside Europe.

In the meantime, someone needs to put Peter Windsor on suicide watch.

5. well hopefully USF1 will be better prepared for 2011, but if they dont get ahead they will be back runners for 2011 as well which i think is a shame since Europe vs America always brings more money.

6. Bewildered said on 2nd March 2010, 21:06

Can’t help feel sorry for Pete Winsor, and the other well motivated individuals. Looks like Ken Anderson seems to have been the bottleneck?

7. luigismen said on 2nd March 2010, 21:21

Not surprised…
    Bring on Bahrain now!

8. Prisoner Monkeys said on 2nd March 2010, 21:38

I’m not heartbroken.

9. TMFOX said on 2nd March 2010, 21:56

So how long will it take before Campos do the same (if they haven’t already done so)?

10. Xanathos said on 2nd March 2010, 21:59

Last year we had three new teams on the entry list. Seriously, who would have thought back then that the unknown Manor Team would show up at the second test together with Red Bull while the headline-grabbing USF1 team would end up as propably the most farcial F1 attempt of the decade?

I didn’t expect this.

11. Dennoow said on 2nd March 2010, 22:01

I don’t care. I mean, both Stefan GP and USF1 are teams that didn’t do any testing. They will not contribute anything except being obstacles on the road for the other 11 teams (yes, including Virgin). I do think that it might be slightly better with Stefan GP since they won’t have an all (not very promising) rookie lineup with Jacques Villeneuve. He was a former world champion but not the best driver ever IMO. Campos/Hispania (or whatever the hell they call it) and Stefan GP/USF1 will provide a huge amount of entertainment, just not of the good kind. It would be a HUGE surprise if they aren’t 7 or 8 seconds behind on the other teams and if they make it to the finish of any race. I say disqualify them and let them try again next year.

• DanThorn said on 3rd March 2010, 8:05

Stefan GP have had a car and a driver for a while and would have had a few days testing last week – but they couldn’t get a tyre deal. Plus their car is basically the Toyota TF110, so it shouldn’t be that bad. And, with the “Hispania” being built by Dallara, I dont think that will be too disasterous either.

• spudw said on 3rd March 2010, 18:19

While Stephan GP won’t set any speed records, I wouldn’t paint them with the same brush as Campos and USF1.

Stephanovic bought into a good deal on what is likely a reasonable F1 car and is ready to go. Compared to the out-sourcing Campos and the disaster that is USF1, it looks like it should be a fairly credible F1 operation. Stephanovic is obviously an astute operator, as he got the deal with Toyota that either Campos or USF1 should have had were they not asleep at the switch.

Were it not for contractual restrictions on tires, Stephan would have had some testing under their belt in advance of Bahrain.

12. Simon Hull said on 2nd March 2010, 22:53

I am not surprised to hear about the demise of USF1. Peter Windsor and Ken Anderson weren’t ever going to fool anybody by saying that they would be on the grid. They just made themselves look even more stupid. Peter Windsor is a good journalist. That is a good journalist, NOT team principal. I think Formula 1 has tried enough to establish itself in the US and it is just not meant to be so they should stop wasting time and money trying.

Stefan GP I think should be on the grid. They clearly took the initiative in purchasing the remains of Toyota rather than trying (and ultimately failing) to design and build their own chassis.
    And we mustn’t forget that Stefan GP won’t be trundling around at the back 7/8 seconds off the pace. Why? Because the car was designed by Toyota, and I can’t see it being worse than the Campos car, Lotus car or Virgin car.

That leads me smoothly onto the next point. Campos. Whilst they are saying they will be ready for Bahrain. It is only 10 days until the practice and they haven’t released images of their car, launched their team officially or even signed a second and third driver. Will they be on the grid? Time will tell, however, for their second driver I think Adam Carroll deserves the drive. Surely Adam Carroll was a more deserving A1 GP champion than Jenson Button was a Formula 1 champion. And why should he suffer just because his last success came over a year ago.

Looking ahead to the Bahrain gp, I think Felipe Massa will be the man to beat. This is because he is a past winner at the track, the Ferrari has been looking like the best car (unless Mercedes can put the cat amongst the pigeons with their new “super diffuser”) and the fact that Fernando Alonso has never been able to manage tyres effectively on heavy fuel (Monaco 2005 as a prime example). Michael Schumacher’s fitness is yet to be proved, however I do think he will pass the first race with flying colours. Red Bull appear to have been extremely unreliable (the worst of the existing teams) in testing and the heat of Bahrain will be a very tough test on their engine (which is notably weak). McLaren, I have my doubts about. Button has historically performed well in Bahrain and I think could out perform Hamilton. The car itself baffles me. Why would McLaren use all of their fancy contraptions if the car is performing well. I think they have aerodynamic problems which need fixed.

Certainly the season will be incredible and I cannot wait for it to start next week.

Ps does anybody else know if the BBC Classic F1 feature will start tomorrow for voting?

13. F1Yankee said on 2nd March 2010, 22:56

i didn’t want to believe the stories, but once again, “where there’s smoke, there’s fire.” i’m very interested in what charlie has to say, either directly or through the fia. this is a massive disappointment.

14. taurus said on 2nd March 2010, 23:51

Give it to Stefan – the little boys ARE needed in F1 just as much as Ferrari. Sanitising it so we have nothing but £150million budgeted teams takes away chance of an upset – i.e. the team surviving on £50 a week gaining a point or even a podium.

This surely makes USF1 even worse than Lola and Andrea Moda?!

15. Icthyes said on 3rd March 2010, 0:21

Sad news, especially for the staff. Hopefully now Stefan can get on the grid (and employ USF1 workers made redundant), and hopefully the USA will be back to build up its presence in F1 once more.