A strange oversight led to Button’s retirement early in the Monaco Grand Prix.
|Jenson Button||Lewis Hamilton|
|Qualifying time comparison (Q3)||1’14.637 (+0.205)||1’14.432|
|Average race lap||1’56.397 (+31.554)||1’24.843|
Not on Hamilton’s pace throughout the weekend and his efforts in qualifying were impeded by Felipe Massa, who Button caught on a quick lap.
An unusual mistake at McLaren led to his early retirement:
I knew after the formation lap that there was a cooling cover left on the left-hand sidepod, where the radiator is.
We thought everything was going to be okay, and it would probably have been fine if we hadn?óÔé¼Ôäót had a Safety Car. My car quickly began to overheat and I started losing engine power, so I turned the engine off pretty sharply because the last thing I wanted was to leave engine oil on the racing line.
Today was just one of those days. It was human error, a mistake, and that?óÔé¼Ôäós all there is to it.
Fifth place on the grid was probably better than the MP4-25 deserved at a track which did not play to the car’s strengths.
Hamilton only set the tenth-fastest race lap and was noticeably struggling for pace at the end. So much so that he wasn’t leaving Fernando Alonso behind at that great a rate despite Alonso having spent longer on his tyres.
McLaren’s radio communications revealed they were concerned about brake temperatures during the race.
2010 Monaco Grand Prix
- FIA admits “lack of clarity” and vows to change rules after Monaco controversy
- From the stands: David Entrican watches the Monaco Grand Prix at Monte-Carlo
- Schumacher’s Monaco penalty will stand after Mercedes withdraw appeal
- 2010 Monaco Grand Prix – the complete F1 Fanatic race weekend review
- Should slower cars let the front runners pass when racing for position? (Poll)
- This time Vettel denies Webber a perfect result (Monaco GP stats and facts)
- Alonso’s mammoth stint and McLaren’s smart move
- Monaco Grand Prix fastest laps
- The FIA’s badly-written rules leave Formula 1 looking stupid once again
- Monaco Grand Prix in pictures