The Red Bull drivers were emphatically quickest in first practice at the Hungaroring.
Sebastian Vettel led Mark Webber as the pair ended the session a second quicker than their rivals.
Renault’s Robert Kubica was the best of the rest.
After the session began Felipe Massa was the first driver to set a time, slowly lapping the circuit where his season came to an abrupt end last year.
Ferrari seemed not to show their hand during the hour-and-a-half’s running, Fernando Alonso ending the session seventh fastest as he tried a new blown rear wing on the F10.
Another team focussing on new aerodynamic developments were Williams, who ran an array of wind speed sensors on Nico H?â??lkenberg’s FW32.
Force India ran their new exhaust-blown diffuser on Adrian Sutil’s car, while reserve driver Paul di Resta drove the car in its previous configuration for a back-to-back comparison.
McLaren, too, did not appear to be chasing fastest times. Jenson Button was fourth fastest while Lewis Hamilton, unhappy with the balance of the car and losing time with a technical glitch, was 18th.
The dusty track prompted a few spins and moments, the most significant being a half-spin for Vitaly Petrov at the exit of the final corner which left him broadside across the track on the grid hatchings. He was able to get back to the pits.
|1||5||Sebastian Vettel||Red Bull-Renault||1’20.976||29|
|2||6||Mark Webber||Red Bull-Renault||1’21.106||0.130||27|
|6||22||Pedro de la Rosa||Sauber-Ferrari||1’22.764||1.788||24|
|11||14||Adrian Sutil||Force India-Mercedes||1’23.003||2.027||19|
|15||15||Paul di Resta||Force India-Mercedes||1’23.520||2.544||19|
|16||16||Sebastien Buemi||Toro Rosso-Ferrari||1’23.780||2.804||22|
|17||17||Jaime Alguersuari||Toro Rosso-Ferrari||1’23.868||2.892||28|
|22||25||Lucas di Grassi||Virgin-Cosworth||1’26.868||5.892||17|
2010 Hungarian Grand Prix
- Technical review: German and Hungarian Grands Prix
- From the stands: Nikolai Vogler watches two races in one week
- Ecclestone asks Hungarian President “Was your crown made in China?”
- Michael defends Barrichello strategy
- How F1 can make pit stops safer
- 2010 Hungarian Grand Prix – the complete F1 Fanatic race weekend review
- A move too far: Schumacher forces stewards to take a stand
- Who was the best driver of the Hungarian Grand Prix weekend?
- Red Bull mark 100th F1 start with win (Hungarian Grand Prix facts and stats)
- Red Bull fly to victory but FIA set to clip their wings (Red Bull race review)
Image (C) Red Bull/Getty images