Both Sauber drivers lost places at the start of the race but made it to the end to score the team’s first consecutive double points finish of 2010.
The two drivers were also able to change to intermediate tyres within two laps of the safety car coming in at the start of the race – giving further weight to arguments that the rain delay went on far too long.
|Nick Heidfeld||Kamui Kobayashi|
|Qualifying time comparison (Q2)||1’37.715 (+0.072)||1’37.643|
Got ahead of Kobayashi at the start but was passed by his team mate after the safety car came in for the second time.
Adrian Sutil passed him on lap 37 but Heidfeld claimed the position back on the following lap when the Force India driver went off. Ended the race ninth behind Kobayashi:
We changed onto intermediates quite early. In hindsight it was actually too early as it wasn?óÔé¼Ôäót easy to stay on the track, although we managed it, and then the conditions improved.
After a lot of laps, and on a drying track, at the end the tyres were gone, but I think others had the same problem. I could not really defend my position against Adrian (Sutil) because, with the mirrors being so dirty, I just could not see him.
I knew from the radio he was there, but I only saw him when he was beside me. For me racing in the darkness was on the edge, but I still felt I could see okay.
Both Sauber drivers did only one run in Q2 and Kobayashi did the better job, qualifying 12th.
Like Heidfeld, he lost places to Vitaly Petrov and Sebastien Buemi early on, but both those drivers were doomed not to finish.
Having pitted early he was promoted to tenth when several drivers ahead of him changed tyres. Vitantonio Liuzzi took the place off him at turn three on lap 36, Kobayashi narrowly avoiding front wing damage, and carrying on to finish eighth.
2010 Korean Grand Prix
- Mercedes deny Massa held up Schumacher for Alonso
- Korea say 168,000 attended first F1 race
- Alonso not considering Brazil title win
- Hamilton: Alonso would have passed me
- Button: “I will fight until it’s impossible”
- Horner hits back over Webber criticism
- Korean International Circuit: your verdict
- Montezemolo: “We haven’t won yet”
- 2010 Korean Grand Prix: the complete F1 Fanatic race weekend review
- Who was the best driver of the Korean Grand Prix weekend? (Poll)