Active years: 1993-2005, 2011-
Previous identities: BMW (2006-2010)
Find all F1 Fanatics who are fans
Sauber entered F1 in 1993 using engines supplied by Mercedes.
For a while they were expected to become Mercedes’ works F1 outfit but that plan changed when Mercedes became engine suppliers to McLaren in 1995.
Sauber remained as an independent F1 team and was the first destination for several upcoming drivers including Kimi Raikkonen and Felipe Massa.
It enjoyed a particularly strong season in 2001 with Raikkonen and Nick Heidfeld taking the team to fourth in the constructors’ championship.
Team owner Peter Sauber sold his team to BMW at the end of 2005 but five years later he was back in charge of the team once more after the car manufacturer withdrew from the sport.
Following BMW’s departure the team return to using customer Ferrari engines. The team officially took over the Sauber name once again at the beginning of 2011.
Sergio Perez scored the team’s best result as an independent constructor when he finished second in the 2012 Malaysian Grand Prix.
Complete list of Sauber F1 drivers
Sauber Motorsport AG,
Major team personnel
Board president- Peter Sauber
Team principal – Monisha Kaltenborn
Operations director – Axel Kruse
Chief designer: Eric Gandelin
Head of aerodynamics – Willem Toet
Head of track engineering – Giampaolo Dall?óÔé¼ÔäóAra
Head of vehicle dynamics – Benjamin Waterhouse
Team manager – Beat Zehnder
Chief mechanic – Reto Camenzind
Race engineer (Esteban Gutierrez) – Francesco Nenci
Race engineer (Adrian Sutil) – Marco Schupbach
Sauber latest articles
- Sauber go conservative after 2013 setback
- Sauber plan brake fix and new aero for Bahrain
- Getting weight down a priority – Sutil
- Sauber announce Van der Garde as reserve driver
- Sauber to reveal car before first test
- Gutierrez to stay at Sauber as Sirotkin gets test drive
- Sutil joins Sauber for 2014
- Hulkenberg hails “one of my best races”
- Sauber confirm new “multi-year” Ferrari engine deal
- Sergey Sirotkin has first run in F1 car in Sochi
Browse all Sauber articles
Image ?é?® Sauber F1 Team