Active years: 1993-2005, 2011-
Previous identities: BMW (2006-2010)
Find all F1 Fanatics who are fans
Sauber entered F1 in 1993 using engines supplied by Mercedes.
For a while they were expected to become Mercedes’ works F1 outfit but that plan changed when Mercedes became engine suppliers to McLaren in 1995.
Sauber remained as an independent F1 team and was the first destination for several upcoming drivers including Kimi Raikkonen and Felipe Massa.
It enjoyed a particularly strong season in 2001 with Raikkonen and Nick Heidfeld taking the team to fourth in the constructors’ championship.
Team owner Peter Sauber sold his team to BMW at the end of 2005 but five years later he was back in charge of the team once more after the car manufacturer withdrew from the sport.
Following BMW’s departure the team return to using customer Ferrari engines. The team officially took over the Sauber name once again at the beginning of 2011.
Sergio Perez scored the team’s best result as an independent constructor when he finished second in the 2012 Malaysian Grand Prix.
Complete list of Sauber F1 drivers
Sauber Motorsport AG,
Major team personnel
Team president- Peter Sauber
Team principal – Monisha Kaltenborn
Operations director – Axel Kruse
Chief designer – Matt Morris
Head of aerodynamics – Willem Toet
Head of vehicle dynamics – Benjamin Waterhouse
Team manager – Beat Zehnder
Trackside engineer – Tom McCullough
Chief mechanics – Reto Camenzind
Race engineer (Nico Hulkenberg) – Marco Schupbach
Race engineer (Esteban Gutierrez) – Francesco Nenci
Sauber latest articles
- Hulkenberg hails “one of my best races”
- Sauber confirm new “multi-year” Ferrari engine deal
- Sergey Sirotkin has first run in F1 car in Sochi
- Gutierrez expects strong race after Q3 breakthrough
- Hulkenberg surprised by race pace
- Sauber will race Sirotkin if he gets superlicence
- Sauber “tempted” to race passive DRS, Lotus aren’t
- Sirotkin has seat fitting at Sauber
- Sirotkin joins Sauber as team develops Russian link
- Hulkenberg: Sauber problems “a difficult situation”
Browse all Sauber articles
Image © Sauber F1 Team