Sebastian Vettel becomes youngest ever F1 champion

Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, Abu Dhabi, 2010

Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, Abu Dhabi, 2010

Sebastian Vettel has become the youngest driver ever to win the Formula 1 world championship.

At 23 years and 134 days old he has broken the record set by Lewis Hamilton in 2008, who won the title aged 23 years, 301 days.

This record has now been broken three times in the last six years – Fernando Alonso the first to break it in 2005.

F1 world champions by country

Vettel is only the second German driver to win the world championship, joining Michael Schumacher, who last won the world championship in 2004.

Country No. Drivers/s
1 Britain 14 Mike Hawthorn, Graham Hill (2), Jim Clark (2), John Surtees, Jackie Stewart (3), James Hunt, Nigel Mansell, Damon Hill, Lewis Hamilton, Jenson Button
2 Brazil 8 Emerson Fittipaldi (2), Nelson Piquet (3), Ayrton Senna (3)
2 Germany 8 Michael Schumacher (7), Sebastian Vettel
4 Argentina 5 Juan Manuel Fangio
5 Australia 4 Jack Brabham (3), Alan Jones
5 Austria 4 Jochen Rindt, Niki Lauda (3)
5 France 4 Alain Prost
5 Finland 4 Keke Rosberg, Mika Hakkinen (2), Kimi R??ikk??nen
9 Italy 3 Giuseppi Farina, Alberto Ascari (2)
10 United States 2 Phil Hill, Mario Andretti
10 Spain 2 Fernando Alonso
12 New Zealand 1 Denny Hulme
12 South Africa 1 Jody Scheckter
12 Canada 1 Jacques Villeneuve

2010 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Browse all 2010 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix articles

256 comments on Sebastian Vettel becomes youngest ever F1 champion

1. I’m really happy for such race scenario instead of some tricks or dirty defence etc. Great show worth the final.

2. Daffid said on 14th November 2010, 15:00

Happiest man tonight? Vettel or Massa? ;p

• David BR said on 14th November 2010, 15:08

That thought passed through my mind too. I’m sure Massa is enjoying a quiet caipirinha, listening to Alonso throwing the toys around in the other room…

3. Well Done Vettel..

Great to see the smugness wiped off Alonso’s face. showed his true colours there with Petrov..

roll on 2011 and roll on the Return of Mclaren ;)

4. sumedh said on 14th November 2010, 15:00

A deserving champion. And well played by RBR today. Very clearly, they fooled Fernando and Ferrari.

• Agree, that was very clever thinking to use Webber to lure away the Ferrari’s like that and give Vettel the best shot of winning the title this year.

5. despite having saying it in the live blog

In Soviet Russia, Fernando is slower than you

6. dragon said on 14th November 2010, 15:03

I didn’t like Fernando’s gesture to Petrov, who drove excellently, one bit. Yes he just lost a championship he should have won, but take it out on the team that screwed you over!

7. Would I be considered cynical if I hypothesised that Red Bull pitted Mark early in the hope Alonso would copy and be dragged down the field with him? :P

What a season.

• Actually very weird strategy…

• Red Andy (@red-andy) said on 14th November 2010, 15:22

The thought did cross my mind, but I think what happened was that Red Bull just decided to split their strategies. If the soft tyres had degraded quickly Webber would have been up there, as it happened he wasn’t.

Ferrari couldn’t split their strategies as they only had one driver in the hunt for the title. Using Massa to cover off Webber failed so they had to get Alonso to do it; I guess they figured it was better for him to end up behind one Red Bull than behind both, especially as he didn’t necessarily need to beat Vettel to win the title.

• I think that was pretty clever thinking by them to get at least one of their guys the best possible shot at the title. And it worked!

• sumedh said on 14th November 2010, 16:00

Exactly.

Red Bull simply fooled Ferrari. Ferrari on the other hand naively concentrated only on Webber and no one else, neither Vettel nor the drivers who had already pitted – Petrov and Rosberg.

Its like a game of chess, Mark Webber was Red Bull’s sacrifice pawn.

• CarsVsChildren said on 14th November 2010, 17:15

I think Red Bull were gambling to help Webber. I don’t think they even remotely believed Alonso would pit as well.

• RBR didn’t care what Alonso would do, because their aim was to jump him. He could stay out, and Webber would eat him up with the fresher tires, or he could stop and cover, but there was nothing to do about that. Their misfortune of getting stuck behind the STR, was ironically the miracle that saved them. Because Ferrari saw this and, with their minds in mode of being super-safe, they thought, we can 100 percent cover Webber, so lets just do it. But they took their eye off the ball. Their aim was to achieve 5th, not beat Webber, and with the latter in such a desperate position, and showing poor pace, they would have been best to just forget about Webber.

As in many sports, from tennis to volleyball to baseball, espeically american football, you see when a team or competitor has an advantage, they play not to lose, and they loose the entire logic of their game-play and they fall apart. Ferrari should have known, especially as it was this same scenario where they won in 2007 and all but won in 2008.

8. David BR said on 14th November 2010, 15:06

Congratulations Seb Vettel and Red Bull! A deserving winner. As it seemed it might, the race turned on Button: getting past Alonso at the start suddenly made it game on for Vettel. The Schumacher-Liuzzi was obviously the turning point though. Amazed that Webber wasn’t even capable of pressing Alonso. And Alonso’s fist shaking at Petrov made everyone neutral happy, I’m sure, that he didn’t win! What an idiot!

9. alejandro said on 14th November 2010, 15:07

Sebastian Vettel ist den jüngste Weldmeister!!!

I can quote a friend saying: “Fernando, Vitaly is faster than you.”

And A little song for him: “Fernando: Look at the stars, look how they shine for you… and all the guys you couldn’t pass, yeah, they were all yellow ♫”

10. EPIC race of epic season.
    VET, PET, and KUB greatly impressed.
    VET had fantastic end of the season. and today confired he’s a fighter. He won without controversy like Schumacher.
    PET – hero of the day – quality drive, no mistake, I keep thinking he’s better than Hulk.
    KUB was impressive doing such a tempo on 1st set of tyres unitl about 5 laps remaining. Great tactical execution.

11. Brilliant job by Vettel. He and Red Bull made a meal of it, but in the 6 races since that disastrous Spa weekend he’s made no mistakes and driven beautifully. Congrats!

12. I’m an Aussie and wanted Webber to win tonight but it wasn’t to be. well done to Seb Vettel, he drove pretty much perfectly in the last two races and has been the quickest guy out there all season (10 poles).

Alonso has nothing to beef about with Petrov. The Russian didn’t put a foot wrong with Alonso up his exhaust pipe for over half the race and the Ferrari just didn’t have what it took to get past the Renault. To gesture to him like he did after the race might have been frustration spewing out but it was definitely poor form. Seriously, if Alonso and the Ferrari were good enough they would have walked away with the drivers’ championship.

13. Italian F1 Maniac said on 14th November 2010, 15:09

What a perfect race from Sebastian Vettel!! Congratulations to him and all at Red Bull for 2 really deserved World Championship titles!
    Congratulations even more to the so much from us all beloved F1 Sport! Justice and fairness have won and succeed in the end!
    Alonso showed his true face and colors once again during the outlap against Petrov, who was just better as Alonso today, without doing anything unfair.
    Ferrari was bad in strategy and their drivers not in shape at all.
    All good in the end, fortunately for all real F1 fans!
    With love to F1 from Italy…

14. chaostheory said on 14th November 2010, 15:11

This circuit was not “designed” for title deciders. If it was Interlagos Alonso would not had problems overtaking Petrov, Webber overtaking Alonso, or Hamilton -Kubica.
    Other thing is I am mad right now on everything and everyone – from Tilke to Petrov :P Its 3rd year in a row WDC goes to a driver I dont like.

15. Younger Hamilton said on 14th November 2010, 15:13

What an end to a fantastic and epic Season Congrats Sebastian Vettel for becoming the Youngest F1 title you truly deserve it with the speed and maturity you’ve shown with this bloody fast RB6 enjoy your day but i have to warn you that McLaren and Ferrari will be back in 2011 much stronger and Renault will be in there as well.Well done Lewis and Jenson to end the season on the high note and for a brilliant performance this season you gave it all but unfortunately it wasnt enough but like i said its not all doom and gloom we never gave up and we will be back next season.

Sebastian Vettel 2010 FORMULA 1 WORLD DRIVERS CHAMPION
    Red Bull 2010 FORMULA 1 WORLD CONSTRUCTORS CHAMPION.

McLaren we will be back with a VENGENCE!!!

16. What did vettel say over the radio? I missed that.

17. Now I did say Nigel Mansell was gonna win this season… which was in fact a cryptic prediction… RED 5 WON! ;)

18. matt88 (@matt88) said on 14th November 2010, 15:17

happy for Vettel, although i’d have prefered Webber to become WDC this year.

Wrong strategy by Ferrari, they opted for a heavy man marking on him and Alonso’s frustration on Petrov is totally understandable, the way he lost the championship is hard to accept.

• yep very understandable, waving his little fist at someone just cause he couldn’t pull off an overtaking move.

very understandable, and so classy indeed

• matt88 (@matt88) said on 14th November 2010, 16:29

surely you’d be very quiet if you lost a F1 WDC. :D
        When he calms down, Alonso will confess he was wrong in doing this, but in the heat of the moment the Latin passion comes out.

• CarsVsChildren said on 14th November 2010, 17:20

Nope I wouldn’t be calm at all. I would probably yell at myself for being slow, my engineer for the wrong call, and the boss, well because he’s the boss and sometimes it feels good to blame them for everything.

The one person I wouldn’t get angry at is the guy driving the RACE car in front of me. The guy who fairly defended his position for a large percentage of the race.

Alonso is a tool.

• Massa didn’t wave angrily at Glock back in 2008, he took t like a man

19. I have to say congratulations to Seb and I really do mean it. As sad as I felt for Ferrari when I heard Seb on the radio I couldn’t help but almost smile which was the best it was going to get out of me.

Seb deserved it and there isn’t a qustion of that for me. I like him a lot more than some of the other contenders but I didn’t really want him to win this year because of his mistakes that sometimes resulted in him taking out contenders. The fact is though that the title only went on for so long as everyone made mistakes and Seb had a massive amount of failures.

The pitstop wrecked Ferrari’s race today. They focussed on Webber as they thought he was the main threat and then Seb snuck in and attacked. For all their talk of staying cool they blinked first. It didn’t lose them the title though. Alonso made mistakes at China, Monaco and Silverstone, he had bad luck with SC but then good luck at Bahrain and Korea. I’ve never been prouder though by the way he handled the second half of the season. The RB6 was unreliable and RBR kept making mistakes but he had to maximise every opportunity to push RBR so far and mostly he did.

I wasn’t exactly proud of the little rumble with Petrov after the race but Seb made the crazy gesture after he crashed into Mark and these are just highly strung, winning monsters. It wasn’t Petrov’s fault. As much as I may be annoyed at Petrov for having such a good race he was superb all weekend so congraulations to him.

I have to say a massive thanks to Keith for all the coverage this year. It’s made this incredible season that much better especially to share it with all of you.

I remember at the start of the year after Bahrain the BBC news channel ran a piece questioning whether F1 had lost its sparkle. What do you guys reckon?

• Sandman said on 14th November 2010, 15:51

There definitely was no “sparkle”. This season has been a full blown campfire instead, despite RBR’s dominating so much with raw pace.

Now, think about next year, if Mercedes and Renault delivers!

• You summed up the season pretty nicely here Steph.

I must say I largely agree with you. Vettel was not my favourite driver to win it, but he drove as fast as ever and the team succeeded in having Ferrari make that crucial strategy mistake they needed to make the kill.

And he deserves it for his speed in that car, even though I sincerely hope we will see Vettel actually learn to make clean passes in the top 5 next seasons and not just bag it from superb pole positions.

Button made hardly any mistakes this year, but his car was not up to the job. Vettel made some crucial mistakes but was just to fast in the RB6 for the others who all made several crucial mistakes without the advantage of Sebs enormous speed and the full support of his team.

20. SkinBintin said on 14th November 2010, 15:19

Really want much of a Vettel fan, until I heard that emotional radio transmission! Congrats to the RedBull wonder kid!