Vote for the best F1 driver of 2010

2010 F1 season review

Drivers, Abu Dhabi, 2010

Drivers, Abu Dhabi, 2010

Over the past four days F1 Fanatic has ranked the drivers of 2010.

Now it’s your turn to vote for the best driver of this year.

Which driver did the best job throughout the whole of 2010? Cast your vote below and explain who you voted for and why in the comments.

Who was the best F1 driver of 2010?

• Jenson Button (2%)
  • Lewis Hamilton (31%)
  • Michael Schumacher (1%)
  • Nico Rosberg (3%)
  • Sebastian Vettel (11%)
  • Mark Webber (6%)
  • Felipe Massa (0%)
  • Fernando Alonso (21%)
  • Rubens Barrichello (0%)
  • Nico H???lkenberg (0%)
  • Lucas di Grassi (0%)
  • Karun Chandhok (0%)
  • Pedro de la Rosa (0%)
  • Sakon Yamamoto (0%)

Total Voters: 518

Loading ... Loading ...

You need to sign in to vote. You can register an account here or read more information here.

2010 F1 season review

Browse all 2010 F1 season review articles

Image ?? Bridgestone/Ercole Colombo

143 comments on Vote for the best F1 driver of 2010

1 2 3 4
  1. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 22nd December 2010, 10:33

I’m contractually-obligated to vote for Jenson Button.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 22nd December 2010, 10:58

LOL, i voted for Hamilton after Keith convinced me.

• TestaRossa (@testarossa) said on 22nd December 2010, 11:28

That makes two of us…..

• Ned Flanders (@ned-flanders) said on 22nd December 2010, 14:15

No way, he wasn’t even the best driver in his team no matter which way you look at it. This is a poll on the best driver, not your favourite

• TommyB (@tommyb89) said on 22nd December 2010, 14:33

Don’t know how on earth anyone can vote for Jenson. Agree with Ned, if he didn’t even beat his team mate how can he be best driver.

So hard to pick between the three guys, Hamilton, Vettel and Alonso.

• US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 22nd December 2010, 19:26

Yeah, it’s definitely down to those three. I think Keith’s right that Vettel is probably number three, but while I like Hamilton better as a person, my head says Alonso did the better job this year. When it really counted he kept his head cool (as did Vettel). Hamilton cracked under pressure and made some costly errors much like Webber in the late season. Vettel and Alonso both had their share of errors as well, but I think it has to count for something that they both really came from behind in the standings and performed flawlessly when they had to. So as much as it pains me I voted for Alonso.

• Monad (@monad) said on 23rd December 2010, 9:25

Actually he made less mistakes than Alonso in total threw the year. And i wouldn’t call Singapore a mistake.

• damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 24th December 2010, 13:31

So hard to pick between the three guys, Hamilton, Vettel and Alonso.

Well I’ve gone for someone completely different! Not Webber, not Button, not Kobayashi, but Robert Kubica.

I think Kubica was the most impressive driver this year by a long way. It was such a shame he made that error in the pits at Spa (one of his only errors all year, as it happens) as it would have almost certainly have been a 2nd place finish. Good luck for next year Mr. Kubica!

• Here we go again another british biased opinion what did he exactly do to make him driver of the year???

Nothing.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 22nd December 2010, 16:52

‘another British biased opinion’

He only has 4 votes (at this point) so there’s no need to go on about British bias. It may well be their favourite driver- still not the point of the vote but not necessarily national bias which a lot of people seem to be desperate for.

You could easily say the same about people voting for Schumacher.

• Look mate it happens everywhere Media, Fans, Jenson Button is spoken about like he is a King or something he is over-rated and arrogant yes he has driven some great races.
          All I heard from him this year was oooh I’m WC ooh no grip ooh I was blocked………..
          Need I Say more.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 22nd December 2010, 19:11

Faraz, to save you further embarrassment, i’ll point out that Prisoner Monkeys is Australian.

• John H said on 22nd December 2010, 21:55

‘Nothing’

If you’re going to cry bias, then at least back it up with more than one word!

• William Wilgus said on 29th December 2010, 9:11

Exactly! Hamilton has his moments of greatness, but lacks the consistency to make him a truly great driver.

• Im sorry but that is the most pathetic vote ever oh he is British I will vote for him.

Might as well put Susan Boyle in the car.

• SamS (@sams) said on 23rd December 2010, 7:57

Faraz,

this is a poll based on OPINION. So if they want to vote Button then vote. I voted for him for his early season form.

Get over this its a British site and there for bias.

• The Ram (@the-ram) said on 22nd December 2010, 21:41

I’m voting for Button.

• We Want Turbos (@) said on 22nd December 2010, 22:37

LOL @ Yamamoto on -1%

• JohnGreen (@johngreen) said on 23rd December 2010, 12:47

Voted for Lewis

• singletrack said on 29th December 2010, 12:30

You can’t be serious Keith? According to your own criteria it would be Kubica, he had fantastic results despite being handicapped by Renault. Hamilton(who handicapped himself on numerous occasions), according to your analysis had nothing but excuses for a “6 out of 10″ season as he put it. I had never bought into the “British bias” posts claims on this website before, but after this, I am not so sure.

2. Loetkoe said on 22nd December 2010, 10:45

Kubica for me. I loved to watch his driving throughout the season, especially Monaco.

3. Woffin said on 22nd December 2010, 10:46

I love the fact that Sakon Yamamoto is on -1%.

4. Cyclops_PL (@cyclops_pl) said on 22nd December 2010, 10:48

I would be disinherited If I voted someone else than Kubica.

5. Edentrail (@edentrail) said on 22nd December 2010, 10:48

Haha, Kubica has the early lead even without the Polish websites’ help! :)

• It’s normal, because what he did in this season was better what Vettel and other drivers done in fasters cars. His performance was one of the best, and few extremly passing on Button or on Sutil in Singapore and more more others.

6. mis (@marcin) said on 22nd December 2010, 10:49

I voted for Kubica. But I’d say top three for me were Kubica, Hamilton, Alonso and any of them could be chosen No. 1.

7. verstappen (@verstappen) said on 22nd December 2010, 11:09

Schumacher.
    To make this return and stick with it… then to me you’re the best.
    And at times, like with his overtaking Alonso in Monaco, we saw the old fox again.
    I just hope the Pirellis suit him (and Massa) better.

8. I really am struggling to select a single driver as the best…

You could make such good arguements for lots of drivers…

Hamilton – for driving out of his skin.
    Button – for keeping up with Hamilton when everyone said he wouldn’t.
    Webber – “not bad for a number two driver”!
    Vettel – WDC despite horrendous misfortune (made mistakes too).
    Alonso – one of his best seasons.
    Kobayashi – would overtake in a residential area given the chance.
    Kubica – Scored about 10x the points of his (granted, rookie) team-mate.
    Rosberg – outdrove the Baron.
    Schumacher – stuck at his return when many said he’d quit.
    Kovalainen – best of the “new team” boys!

The list really goes on and you could argue for anyone, but I think i’m going to plump for Hamilton!

9. Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 22nd December 2010, 11:19

Kubica. He was a beast this year. Can’t wait to see him in a race-winning car.

• Cacarella (@cacarella) said on 22nd December 2010, 14:04

Agree 100% – and voted the same as well!

• Zahir (@zahir) said on 22nd December 2010, 20:02

My problem with voting for Kubica is his team mate. While theres no doubt that Kubica is highly skilled and drove well all season a lot of people are saying he out drove his car. The problem with that is because Petrov is a rookie you dont really know if Kubica was exceeding the cars potential or just reaching it. With the likes of Hamilton, Alonso etc, they have proven world class team mates and to beat them is a worthy achievement.

Dont get me wrong I think Kubica had a great season but I dont think theres enough evidence to say he was the best driver on the grid

• damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 24th December 2010, 14:03

Haha! I voted for Robert too, Magnificent Geoffrey. Spa and Melbourne were majestic drives. (Apart from the pit-stop error in Spa, that is)

10. Rosberg was the best driver of the season for me. I think his great season went largely unnoticed. He has only made one or two major errors, and Spain was his only bad race. Even when Schumacher was on the pace, Rosberg would still end up ahead of him.

11. Dan_the_McLaren_fan (@dan_the_mclaren_fan) said on 22nd December 2010, 11:29

I hesitated between Hamilton, Alonso, Vettel and Kubica. But I then I rememberd that Kubica wasn’t always on top form and I rememberd him doing a few mistakes (Spa, Hungary, Abu Dhabi qualifying). Despite being the quickest man of the year, Vettel doesn’t deserve to be named the best driver, he did 2 big mistakes which won’t be forgotten that soon. Then I was left with a very difficult choice : Alonso and Hamilton. But finally I chose Alonso, because from Germany, he did an almost perfect series of races (if you don’t count Spa and Abu Dhabi), and he managed to beat the Red Bulls twice in qualifying, without an underweight car. I might hate hate the character, but I truly respect Alonso as a driver.

12. Daniel said on 22nd December 2010, 11:35

I want to vote for Wolfgang von Tripps, but he isn’t on the list. He was the only driver who didn’t make a mistake all season.

13. miraclees (@miraclees) said on 22nd December 2010, 12:06

A tough choice. Having read some rankings, not only Keith’s but for example Joe Saward’s, and having gone through my memories of this season I ended up in a four-way tie: ALO HAM KUB VET in alphabetical order ;-) WEB would have been a contender but for his Korean meltdown.

But there was only option for 1 vote :-) and time to take a totally subjective decision as all of us do :-)
    So… I tend to think that ALO is the most complete driver on the grid today. And his fightback in the second half of the season was remarkable, although the German race left a bad taste in my subjective mouth. So not him although as I said I rate him very highly.
    VET is the champion and should have wrapped it up earlier but for the fragility of his machinery. He would have got my vote if he did not make this stupid move in Turkey… So not him either :-)
    So I was left with HAM and KUB. Both are hard racers and can be a joy to watch when they are on song. And they were on song more often than not this year. KUB’s drives in Monaco & Spa, HAM’s in Canada, and both of them overdriving their cars to get the best result. So finally I went with my heart and voted KUB.

And a general remark re everybody questioning Keith’s choice – everyone is entitled to their opinion, the ranking are Keith’s opinion and he clearly states that – this is his blog, after all! So if someone cannot agree with his opinion, just present your own view and agree to disagree in a gentlemanly fashion. (btw the standard of discussion here for the last 2 years that I’ve been following this place has always been unimaginably high by internet standards :-)
    cheerio

14. topdowntoedown (@topdowntoedown) said on 22nd December 2010, 12:11

It hurts me to say it, but Alonso takes it for me. Consistency, class, overtaking, bringing the car home, getting the job done.

This is racing and therefore no points are docked for being a short irritating man with half the regulation number of eyebrows, much as I’d love to.

Hamilton, Vettel, Kubica and Rosberg making up the rest of my top 5…

• adamf184 (@adamf184) said on 22nd December 2010, 21:25

Wow!! Class and consistency mentioned about Alonso!?

Class, seriously….moaning on radio in Australia? Valencia? radio moaning and aftermath of Germany? Last lap reaction to Petrov in Abu Dhabi?

I dont even think he was very consistent. Australia, was it China jump start, Monaco crash, Spa crash, 8th in Valencia, 14th in Silverstone.

• 8th in valencia? i think charlie has that one for not using his eyes.

when did he moan in australia? he had good reason being taken out at turn 1. but he said nothing and drove a great race.

what did he do wrong in germany? it was ferrari and massa’s doing. what was he to do? stop?

as for monaco crash, not helpful but lewis did the same in germany and suzuka and those 2 crashes lost him the title too. without them he would of not damaged new parts and qualyed higher and been champion.

so they all made similar mistakes.

keep to reality dude

• Anthony_MR (@anthony_mr) said on 23rd December 2010, 3:31

He was moaning about massa being in front of him, watch the race again. He was all over the place saying on the radio “LET ME PASS HIM!!” (maybe because he couldnt)

• David-A (@david-a) said on 24th December 2010, 0:29

In Valencia, his race was going to be ruined by the safety car regardless of what happened. And he got so preoccupied with moaning about Hamilton that he got passed by Kobayashi.

And you obviously didn’t hear all his whining in Germany.

15. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 22nd December 2010, 12:14

Lewis Hamilton for those hard races. He was the only one who was ready to do racing in the Korean GP when they were behind the SC,as many title contender complained about the dangerous situation he was ready.I think he is sometimes overaggressive which cost him in Singapore & Italy but for sure he is one of the bravest out there.

I do too think that Kubica equally deserve the award just give him a good car.

1 2 3 4