First look at Ferrari’s adjustable rear wing

F1 technology

Felipe Massa continued Ferrari’s filming activities with their new F150 at Fiorano today.

Pictures of the car in action show the new-for-2011 adjustable rear wing in its open and closed states.

These comparison pictures show the wing in its normal state (left) and opened (right).

Although the angles the pictures were taken at are not consistent the gap between the upper and lower plans when the wing is activated is clearly visible:

Ferrari F150 adjustable rear wing

Ferrari F150 adjustable rear wing

Ferrari F150 adjustable rear wing

Ferrari F150 adjustable rear wing

Drivers will be allowed to use their adjustable rear wings when they’re within one second of another car during races in 2011. Teams are able to use the wings whenever they want during testing.

You can see high-resolution versions of these pictures below.

Felipe Massa drives the Ferrari F150 – pictures

Felipe Massa drives the Ferrari F150 – video

F1 Fanatic previously analysed how often drivers would have been able to use the adjustable rear wings has they been allowed in 2010.

The Ferrari drivers could have used them most, and in total over 3,500 uses would have been possible by F1 drivers in 2010.

F1 technology

Browse all F1 technology articles

Images ?? Ferrari spa/Ercole Colombo

90 comments on First look at Ferrari’s adjustable rear wing

1. Joe Szpara said on 29th January 2011, 16:16

I remember at the young drivers test there was the adjustable renault rear wing being used and it looked very different.

Interesting.

2. I’m still not sold on this rear wing idea but thanks for the photos!

Massa’s helmet looks different. It seems to have more blue a bit like his 06 helmet or am I imagining things (I bet Fixy knows)?

3. henry said on 29th January 2011, 16:21

How do Ferrari get away with all of this ‘filming’ time, while almost no other teams do it at any point during the season? I know it is allowed but i still dont quite understand.

• mcmercslr (@mcmercslr) said on 29th January 2011, 16:35

Mclaren usually stay at Jerez after the test for an extra couple of days for some filming but it stops there for the season for them. Ferrari will use any excuse to go and do a bit more filming

• Adrian said on 29th January 2011, 17:02

Ferrari have their own track so it’s a lot easier and more economical for them to do filming days than for the other teams.

Each team is allowed 100km a year of filming and there are restrictions on tyres and, I think, cornering speeds.

• Johnny Legg said on 29th January 2011, 17:21

They have to use a set of comedy low gip tyres at events like this. They prevent them from cornering at high speeds. i don’t think it would return any useful data.

• nickthegeek said on 30th January 2011, 9:04

Only use I can really see is just as a very basic reliability test, just make sure all the new bits hold together and dont overheat. mind, your not going to learn much as things will be very different when its driven in anger.

4. Ned Flanders said on 29th January 2011, 16:26

Wow, that spike at the back off the airbox looks fearsome. I wonder if that is there to encourage following drivers to keep their distance? Perhaps Lotus should have fitted something similar to Heikki Kovalainen’s car at Valencia last season…

5. Looks very interesting but like Steph I’m not fully convinced on this idea. Yes it will increase overtaking but it makes it not as special anymore. Just one thing though – at Monza teams use very low downforce setups and the angle on the rear wing is very low. So will the adjustable rear wing still make a difference there or will teams have to rely on KERS?

• Also just to add, does anyone know what the effect the triangular slit/hole in the middle of the rear wing actually does? Surely it will make the air coming off the rear wing more turbulent as it could generate vortices? (I know nothing about aerodynamics so what I said probably means nothing at all!)

• DeadManWoking (@deadmanwoking) said on 29th January 2011, 16:54

The actuating arm for the upper rear wing would create some turbulent airflow behind it. The triangular notch behind it would allow that turbulent air to escape rather than hitting the wing and spoiling the smoother airflow to either side of it. This would increase the effectiveness of the wing when it is not in the raised position.

• Fixy (@fixy) said on 29th January 2011, 16:53

In Monza, you can’t further reduce the angle of the wings as I believe it’s the lowest possible.

• I wouldn’t be surprised if teams run a decent amount of wing around Monza this time year. Looking at Button, it was clearly the strategy to go for, Alonso just had a quicker pitstop.

• Scribe (@scribe) said on 29th January 2011, 18:37

But in Monza last year the teams could stall their wings at any time, wereas this year only 1sec behind, some might go with large wings for quali but they’ll be sitting ducks in the race.

• US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 29th January 2011, 19:11

Yeah, I think they’ll still go for a special wing. Like you say they could use the F-duct whenever and wherever they wanted. The same won’t be true of the MRW except in practice and qualifying.

• BBT (@bbt) said on 30th January 2011, 11:02

They will still run the min amount of wing this will make no difference for the reasons given above.

PS Hamiltons set-up was quicker than Buttons but we never got to see that. Two mistakes in Quali and in the race… well we all know what happened there.

6. Which part of the rear wing is moving now, the upper or the lower part? ‘Cause if it’s the upper part of the wing they couldn’t fit a shark, could they? I’m confused…

7. KaIIe (@kaiie) said on 29th January 2011, 17:29

I thought you could be able to see the movement more clearly, but now I’m pretty convinced there has to be a graphic on TV showing who’s using it. Just imagine trying to see if the wing angle has changed when the car blasts past the cameras at 250+km/h.

8. JustAnF1Fanatic (@justanf1fanatic) said on 29th January 2011, 17:34

As a mclaren fan, i have to say the ferrari looks (aesthetically) much better than last year, i might even be compelled to say “nice” :P

9. Eggry (@eggry) said on 29th January 2011, 18:03

This year’s helmet livery is horrible. all down to Malboro.

10. Scribe (@scribe) said on 29th January 2011, 18:51

Well I’m suprised by quite how much that wing jumps! A lot more movement than I was expecting, top speeds could be fearsome in quali.

It’ll make a big differance when following I suspect but it’ll have to snap down before the corners, expect we’ll see a lot of cars going straight on this season, it’ll have to snap up and down very quickly. Wonder how long it’ll take for the wind flow to re-attach.

• US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 29th January 2011, 19:19

Wonder how long it’ll take for the wind flow to re-attach.

I was wondering the same thing. Qualifying speeds should be faster this year, since the moveable wing should be much more effective and efficient than the F-duct, which was already worth a good chunk of time per lap.

• DeadManWoking (@deadmanwoking) said on 29th January 2011, 20:10

From adam Cooper’s Blog:

Teams still have a lot to learn about the wings. One technical director told me this week that while the wing ‘springs back’ into place automatically when a driver brakes at the end of the straight – with his car at least – that process might not happen fast enough to get the downforce back in time to get round the corner safely (we’re talking about just a tenth here). Thus the driver may have to press the button himself just before he brakes. Another thing to remember!

11. Hare (@hare) said on 29th January 2011, 19:23

So… Fernando, no excuses this time… if you wanna pass Massa, press all your ‘go-faster’ buttons… wing down, KERS on, and lead foot the right pedal.

Should be good, there’s gonna be a real art to defending a position this year, and I guarantee some will be much better than others.

12. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 29th January 2011, 19:57

You can see that movement is going to give a sizeable advantage. The surface area difference is huge! I wonder what other features will appear on the cars…when Newey and co. get their heads ‘around’ the rule book?

13. DeadManWoking (@deadmanwoking) said on 29th January 2011, 20:20

WooHoo! The winter drought is over! The 24 Hours of Daytona starts in just 10 minutes. 8)

14. BROOKSY007 (@brooksy007) said on 29th January 2011, 20:41

Is there going to be a loophole here? Does it say that the rear wing can’t be used to assist breaking? If you could use it to assist breaking like on the veyron, that would be worth a second or two a lap! Although you might have to wear swimming goggles to keep your eyes from falling out!

15. Hare (@hare) said on 29th January 2011, 21:19

I love the idea of movable wings. I also love how people have judged it before it’s even been used in battle. I also don’t have a problem with making the drivers life more difficult. This is competition, it’s sport, a game, it’s a test of the talents of the drivers, and the brains of the engineers. It increases the range of fallibility and the scope of required ability.

I’m not convinced about the second gap rule, but I’ll be pleased to see Alonso overtake Massa on merit. I’ll also be pleased to see how the focused talents of Kubica and Kobayashi, along with Hamilton use these rules to their advantage.

Some drivers will stand out if they can understand, and master the tools at their disposal, when others complain, whinge, and ultimately make mistakes.

• Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 29th January 2011, 21:27

The one thing I hope is that the stewards will be a little more lenient about defensive driving otherwise it really is going to be far too easy.

I swing from one opinion to the other. I hate the artificiality. But I hate the cars being designed to prevent overtaking in the first place.

• Fixy (@fixy) said on 29th January 2011, 21:58

The one thing I hope is drivers will be a little less defensive to avoid serious crashes like Europe 2010.