The surgeon who operated on Robert Kubica following his crash this morning said it could take a year for him to recover.
Professor Mario Igor Rossello, a specialist in hand surgery, spent over seven hours operating on Kubica. Afterwards he said, “We will see in one year what will happen with his nerves injury.”
Rossello said it was “really difficult to say now” whether Kubica would be be able to use his hand as well as he could before.
The professor added that the next few days were crucial to ensure the surgery had been a success:
“The danger is in five, seven days, you can have vascular problems, vascular shocks. We could do surgery again to solve these problems.”
With Kubica likely to face a long time out of the cockpit, Renault are expected to turn to Bruno Senna to take his place in the team.
Renault has two third drivers, Senna and Romain Grosjean. Team principal Eric Boullier said last week that if one of his race drivers had to be replaced, “I will get the one who is ready and obviously Bruno is the most ready driver.”
This video shows more from the interview with the doctor, as well as footage of Fernando Alonso who went to visit Kubica.
Update: Renault have issued the following statement:
“Robert Kubica underwent a seven-hour operation at the Santa Corona Hospital in Pietra Ligure this afternoon.
“The Lotus Renault GP driver had been diagnosed with multiple fractures to his right arm and leg following a high-speed accident at the Ronda de Andora rally this morning. He also suffered severe cuts to his forearm, which could have an impact on his right hand mobility.
“Doctors are reasonably satisfied with the way the operation went. Tonight, Robert’s condition remains stable but serious. He has been placed into an induced coma and could be woken up in the morning.
“Professor Mario Igor Rossello, Director for the Regional Centre of Hand Surgery at San Paolo Hospital in Savona: ‘It has been a very important and difficult operation. Robert Kubica’s right forearm was cut in two places, with significant lesions to the bones and the tendons. We did our best to rebuild the functions of the forearm.
‘It took seven doctors, split into two teams and a total of seven hours to complete the operation. One team was the emergency task force from the hospital of San Paolo (Savona) that is normally appointed to treat this sort of injury, while the other team came from the orthopaedic department of the Santa Corona Hospital (Pietra Ligure).
‘At the end of the operation, Robert’s hand was well vascularised and warm, which is encouraging. Following the surgery, Robert Kubica will remain under permanent monitoring overnight because his condition remains serious.’
“Eric Boullier, Team Principal and Managing Director of Lotus Renault GP: ‘The news of Robert’s accident came as a real shock to the whole team. All of us, at Lotus Renault GP, wish him a quick recovery.
‘We have been really impressed with the way the doctors looked after him today and we would like to thank the whole team of the Santa Corona Hospital for their professional approach and dedication.
‘I will be travelling to Italy tomorrow, along with Vitaly Petrov, in order to see Robert and tell him that we are impatiently waiting for his return.’
“Another update will be made tomorrow morning at 9:30 CET (8:30 GMT), at the hospital, by Professor Rossello and Daniel Morelli, Robert’s manager.”
Thank you to everyone who emailled and Tweeted to let me know about the video
Robert Kubica rally crash
- Kubica tests DTM Mercedes at Valencia
- Kubica says he will return to F1 if he feels fit enough
- Kubica suffers injury setback after fall
- Robert Kubica to miss start of 2012 season
- Kubica’s final operation “a total success”
- Kubica hopes to leave hospital “within ten days”
- Kubica “better every day” but too soon to decide on return
- Heidfeld: “not the way I would have liked” to return
- Renault confirm Heidfeld to take Kubica’s place
- Kubica to have final surgery on Wednesday