2011 F1 testing
Sergio Perez says Pirelli’s new medium tyre compound is much stronger and lasts longer than the one used in Valencia last week.
Speaking to F1 Fanatic Perez said: “They changed it – it’s a completely different tyre.
“There’s a big difference. [With] the medium tyre from Valencia the degradation was two laps, here it can last a lot more.”
Perez supports the idea of Pirelli supplying tyres that degrade quickly to improve the competition.
He said: “I think it would be good if they do a tyre that has degradation and the teams and the drivers have to work a lot during the race for strategy. They will make it more interesting,.
“But anyway the tyre’s changing so we have to get on with what we are getting.”
Perez completed 94 laps yesterday and was second fastest despite stopping on track in the morning, bringing the red flag out.
Although he described the fault as an unidentified “technical problem” a team source confirmed Sauber had allowed the car to run out of fuel.
This is common practice during testing to establish how low on fuel a car can run.
Perez says his confidence is growing every time he gets behind the wheel:
“It’s been a good two-and-a-half days, with Valencia.
“It’s getting better every time, I’m getting more comfortable every time I jump into the car.”
He’s also accumulated more practice with the KERS and adjustable rear wing:
“We’ve tried pretty much everything.
“It’s very hard to get used to it but once you do it’s completely fine.
“The most important thing is to get it right and get used to it and to do it constantly. Once you do it constantly I don’t see a problem.”
2011 F1 testing
- Young Drivers Test Day 3 in pictures
- Vergne completes third day on top in Abu Dhabi
- Young Drivers Test Day 2 in pictures
- Vergne stays quickest on second day of test
- Italian F3 pair complete Ferrari test
- Jean-Eric Vergne leads first day of young drivers test
- 2011 F1 testing diary part four: Barcelona
- McLaren cover least test distance with new car
- Rosberg: Mercedes are “on the up”
- Second Barcelona test day 5 in pictures
Image ?é?® Sauber F1 Team