24 drivers, 5 champions and 6,000km of racing

2011 F1 season preview

Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, Barcelona, 2011

Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, Barcelona, 2011

Heading into 2011 the F1 rules have had the usual off-season overhaul.

But there have been few changes to the driver line-up. Had a rally crash not ended Robert Kubica’s season before it had started, the top five teams of last year would all be heading into 2011 with the same drivers.

That consistency could prove vital in a year when the teams face some formidable technical challenges. For 2011 cars feature the radical and controversial Drag Reduction System and the return of Kinetic Energy Recovery Systems.

The change of tyre supplier to Pirelli may seem rather undramatic by comparison. But the importance of this change cannot be understated. The chemistry that takes place between the rubber and the road is fundamental to a car’s performance.

The brief given to Pirelli was to supply tyres that wear out quickly. Their aim is to create more races like last year’s thrilling Canadian Grand Prix – voted the best race of the season by F1 Fanatic readers.

The evidence from testing so far indicates that life has become much more difficult for the drivers. Yesterday world champion Sebastian Vettel talked about drivers needing three or even four stops for tyres in each race.

Assuming the Bahrain Grand Prix is put back on the calendar, the 24 drivers will do battle over a season of record length, covering almost 6,000km.

Among their number are five champions, the most ever seen in a single season, led by reigning title holder Vettel.

Fernando Alonso is already being tipped as the man most likely to usurp Vettel, having come so close to winning a third title last year.

After a disappointing comeback season in 2010, much attention will be focussed on the efforts of Michael Schumacher and Mercedes to recapture their former glories.

For the second year in a row McLaren boast a pair of world champions in Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button. But it remains to be seen whether the radical design of their MP4-26 will pay off.

And then there’s the question of whether Renault can carry the momentum they built up last year into the new season – despite having lost their lead driver.

These are just a few of the fascinating storylines that will unfold out over a season which will hopefully prove every bit as exciting as last year’s.

2011 F1 season preview

Browse all 2011 F1 season preview articles

Image ?é?® Red Bull/Getty images

53 comments on 24 drivers, 5 champions and 6,000km of racing

1. sukoco said on 3rd March 2011, 8:59

P1 : ) hope merc got mix up

2. Tango (@tango) said on 3rd March 2011, 9:11

How many stops will there be in Montreal this year? ANd more importantly, how long will the soft tyres last?

• BBT said on 3rd March 2011, 9:14

supper softs 6 – 10 laps, but they will be changed before they are used. The are not being used in the first races.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 3rd March 2011, 9:57

The softs seem to hold for about 12-15 laps before having a severe drop off in speed. Taking in account qualifying, that might mean about 10 laps left for the race.

I am looking forward to that race!

• Mike said on 3rd March 2011, 11:19

Wow! If your 6-10 figure is correct the drop off must be huge! Considering a pit stop will cost ~30 seconds!

• BBT said on 3rd March 2011, 17:31

The super softs as they were a few weeks back will probably never be raced, they will be changed before they are.

• Tricky said on 4th March 2011, 12:08

Such a sudden drop off might just add to the interest. Assuming the super softs are worth a second a lap for 10 laps, that gains you 10s, but you lose 20 in the pit stop, so you rejoin 10s back into the pack. The top teams won’t want that.
          But such is the advantage in qualifying, I think we can expect to see the likes of Williams, Force India etc putting them on in Q3, and turning up on pole (or at least in the mix near the top).
          In the end the top teams will all tend to the fastest strategy, and the effect will be cancelled.

3. Stephen Jones (@aus_steve) said on 3rd March 2011, 9:19

“F1 Fanatic’s 2011 season preview starts here and will run up to the start of the season in Melbourne.”

– that line just hyped me up so much! not long now

4. VXR said on 3rd March 2011, 9:24

“The team that cracks the tyre model quickest, and the drivers who can make them last the longest, will be the ones who claim the big prize in eight monthss time.”

Without a shadow of doubt.

5. Sukoco said on 3rd March 2011, 9:43

nice article Keith. I think this is true GRAND PRIX stand for.. for go racing with the best driver, best team n resource, around the globe with the best venue to prouf they are the best.. just artic then the only continent we not go racing.. can we go racing there? haha. i just imagine F1 not only race on sweet tarmac but also.. hard sand, ice, gravel with extreme weather condition vanue, so no one had doubt this is thebest GP

6. UKfanatic (@) said on 3rd March 2011, 9:53

Ferrari F150th Italia 1,205 laps 5,302.02 km impressive to see that a car runs almost a full season of racing before it starts racing anyway i more looking forward to racing than practice

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 3rd March 2011, 9:59

Does put into perspecive, just how “little” testing they do, doesn’t it?
      And we still have the last 4 days of testing to go.

• Red Andy (@red-andy) said on 3rd March 2011, 12:10

Yes, this is my argument. It’s basically ridiculous that teams should be allocated 15,000km of testing when they race less than half that distance across the whole season. We don’t need more testing.

• OEL said on 3rd March 2011, 13:49

I suppose the race drivers don’t need more, but “test drivers” should certanly be allowed to drive the car. An extra 3 or 4 days with test drivers only would be good, in my opinion.

7. Alex Bkk (@alex-bkk) said on 3rd March 2011, 9:56

The title of this article grabbed me like a hungry mountain lion! Good work!

8. Icthyes said on 3rd March 2011, 10:13

Thing is, I really dislike this part of the year; it’s a real false dawn. The cars all come out but the racing is still ages away, so there’s a sense of fatigue.

I say: forget pre-season testing. Send them straight to the first race. By compromise, every race that doesn’t have another following one week later holds a Monday test for teams to do development work in. Think of how mixed-up it would all be for the fly-away races at the start, many complain the cars are too reliable, ket’s have some early-season mania.

• MW (@) said on 3rd March 2011, 13:09

Got to disagree Itchyes. On two counts;

1. I think the pre-season testing adds to the hype and encourages speculation eg. How will the likes of McLaren, Renault/Lotus/thingy, Williams fair with their radical designs. And,
      2. I don’t think lack of reliability adds anything to the racing. I’ve never got excited about a car failure mixing things up (except maybe when Senna broke down before the line and Mansell gave him a lift, that was pretty cool but surely an exception :)

• Icthyes said on 3rd March 2011, 15:29

That”s my point. It all starts and I’m excited, but a month later I’m just begging for the season to start, and not out of excitement.

Unreliability would of course make things more interesting. Plus if someone has a dominant car, the last thing we want is for them to have 15 days to hone it and make it reliable.

9. wasiF1 said on 3rd March 2011, 10:24

JUST CAN’T WAIT FOR IT TO START ALL OVER AGAIN.

10. Romesh82 (@romesh82) said on 3rd March 2011, 11:06

Think Tyre issues/degration will be da thing to look for as ALONSO $ VETTEL already predicted.

11. box this lap (@sebashuis) said on 3rd March 2011, 11:35

Great!

12. Icthyes said on 3rd March 2011, 11:42

I think the prospect of someone gambling on an extra stop will depend on the performance advantage in maxing out the harder tyre compared to leaning them out, as opposed to the difference between the soft and hard tyre as we’ve seen the softs won’t give that extra performance for long enough to outweigh the pit-stop penalty

13. Dave Blanc said on 3rd March 2011, 11:44

I’m just not excited by creating false racing with tyres that degrade in 6-10 laps ie before a driver can even get into a decent rythmn. Personally, the fact that everyone seems to be talking about tyre preservation and being “easy on the tyres” really disappoints me. I don’t watxh F1 to see who’s the best driver in the world at preserving tyres. I want to see racers going for it lap after lap. I fear it will sway the pedulum towards the conservative driver, not the attacking driver and that worries me.

• Icthyes said on 3rd March 2011, 12:24

Isn’t that the point of the new rules? No-one will be able to make a set of primes last the whole race, so some might nurse two sets and some blitz around on three.

• Dave Blanc said on 4th March 2011, 2:42

So where’s the fun in that? Drivers racing on different parts of the track against the stopclock rather than wheel-to-wheel…I want to see racing on the track, not cars pounding around on there own or trying to overtake slower cars in front.

14. somerandomguy said on 3rd March 2011, 11:45

im going to melbourne. ive never been to an f1 race before, but now i have to go because its the last race in my country!

15. Harry Palmer said on 3rd March 2011, 12:01

I never used to follow testing particularly but last year was so gripping I have been following every bit of news and gossip I can over this off-season. I only found this website a few weeks ago and I’m really impressed by it. I can’t wait for Australia I’ll be checking here each day to keep up with all the build up and in-depth analysis.

• Shimks said on 3rd March 2011, 12:30

Do that, Harry. It’s the most informative F1 source by far.

Keith is king.

I have a small picture of him in one corner of my room with some candles burning 24/7.

• GeorgeTuk (@georgetuk) said on 3rd March 2011, 13:15

Definitely Harry, a recent joiner myself since summer last year.

By far the most balanced coverage, the comments page page goes from the sublime to the ridicilous (sp?) with the love/hate of drivers or teams though but its just funny to see anyway.

The live Twitter page is brilliant over testing and practice days, always have on a secondary tab.