Ferrari’s F1 car gets a third name: Ferrari 150??? Italia

2011 F1 season

Felipe Massa drives a <strike>Ferrari F150</strike> <strike>Ferrari F150th Italia</strike> Ferrari 150??? Italia

Ferrari have made a second adjustment to the name of their 2011 F1 car following their dispute with Ford over the use of the name ‘F150′.

The car will now be called the Ferrari 150??? Italia.

Ferrari say the change “should make it clear even to the thickest of people that the name of the car is a tribute to the anniversary of the unification of our country.”

The team previously changed the name of the car to the Ferrari F150th Italia

A statement issued by the team said: “It might seem like a Kafkaesque scenario, but the affair relating to the name of the car with which Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa will tackle this year?s Formula 1 World Championship saw its final and decisive episode played out these past few days with the concomitant withdrawal by Ford of the summons. Therefore common sense has prevailed.

“In order to avoid the slightest risk of anyone confusing a Formula 1 car with a pick-up truck, for their part, the men from Maranello have decided that the car will lose the F that precedes the number 150 and which stands for Ferrari, as it has done on numerous occasions when it?s come to giving a car a code name, be it for the race track or the road.

“It appears that this could have caused so much confusion in the minds of the consumer across the Pond that, at the same time as losing the F, the name will be completely Italianised, replacing the English ??th?? with the equivalent Italian symbol.

“Therefore the name will now read as the Ferrari 150??? Italia, which should make it clear even to the thickest of people that the name of the car is a tribute to the anniversary of the unification of our country.

“Let?s hope the matter is now definitely closed and that we can concentrate on more serious matters, namely ensuring that our car that already seems to be pretty good out of the box, becomes a real winner.”

Ford told the Detroit Free Press today that: ??We are pleased we were able resolve this issue amicably.

“This resolution ensures that Ford?s famous and distinctive F-150 trademark will be protected.??

139 comments on Ferrari’s F1 car gets a third name: Ferrari 150??? Italia

1 2 3
  1. Robbie said on 4th March 2011, 20:41

Clear? It makes it sounds like it overheats a lot.

• Stefanauss said on 4th March 2011, 20:43

Maybe to you English people, but in Italian it never would be perceived as a temperature.

Can I propose the photo caption as COTD?

• Unfortunately the “thickest people” Ferrari were referring to speak English, not Italian…

• Stefanauss said on 4th March 2011, 20:58

I know, which I think is very strange because the people the previous name would confuse the most are the Italians.

That [letter][number][english suffix] [italian] was an abomination.
          Glad they listened to me on Twitter, eventually.

• SeattleChris said on 4th March 2011, 21:43

Seriously, lets all just call it the F150 as it was originally proposed. It is in line with the standard Ferrari naming convention and is easy to remember and say.

I’m not sure Keith can make the suggestion we use F150, so just do it yourself.

Nice pic of the F150 Keith!

• Stefanauss said on 4th March 2011, 21:49

Oh, there’s no doubt about that.
            Everyone would always called the car F150, anyway, no matter what Ferrari or Ford said.

Let’s leave this kind of headache to F1.com and their over-formally Vodafone McLaren Mercedes, Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro, etc.

• Hare (@hare) said on 4th March 2011, 21:56

@SeattleChris You’re not alone : the Fans F150 pact becomes yet more relevant.

It’s an Italian company, and it’s their history. What do they prefer to call it? If they want to call it F150, or F150 Italia.. then so be it?

• DVC (@dvc) said on 5th March 2011, 1:31

Let’s just use apostrophes and stops to abbreviate the long name the car now has. So, Ferrari 150º Italia becomes F’150′I. Or F’150. if you are in a real hurry.

• peter said on 6th March 2011, 0:31

LOL, I think the “thickest of people’ dig was aimed not at english speakers, but rather a countery that speaks english….they produce pick-up trucks.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 4th March 2011, 21:05

They were looking forward and anticipating that August slot for the Bahrain GP!

So 150° (so almost going backwards. What hairpin has that kind of angle?), might also be a reference to the almost 180° spinning of the “real name” by now.
      This is getting real comedy value.

Off course this name makes a lot more sense than the “F150th Italia”, and it was suggested on this blog immediately after they made the first change.

• Fixy (@fixy) said on 4th March 2011, 21:25

I think you English can pronounce it as if it were “th”, as that “°” symbol varies from language to language and in England it is, in fact, “th”.

• matt90 said on 4th March 2011, 22:14

Yeah its just that claiming it simplifies it when to any casual english speaking fan it says 150 degrees is ridculous, especially when its had 2 previous names.

• verstappen said on 4th March 2011, 22:48

Now the °ickest will get it…

• damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 4th March 2011, 22:58

Haha verstappen! But I think the ‘thickest of people’ they are referring to are the Americans and Ford. I always find Ferrari press releases amusing! :P

• Mike said on 5th March 2011, 6:11

I’m surprised they are baiting ford like this. considering…

• F1iLike said on 5th March 2011, 9:41

Aaah you got to love Ferrari and Italians! :D Never shy for insulting or speaking their mind

• UKfanatic (@) said on 5th March 2011, 14:10

150th or 150º is the same but when you google it it looks different so thats why the name is the same without being the same

• I’m still going to call it and blog it as F-150.

Go ahead Ford, sue me!

2. To me, it sounds like 150 degrees i.e. an obtuse (91-179 degree) angle. Which is unfortunate because it makes it sound like the teams thinks its car will be obtuse (awkward) like the F60 from 2009 was.

To other people (such as Viva F1) it sounds like the metric for Ferrari Gas Mark 2…

3. Bartholomew said on 4th March 2011, 20:49

Ford,as well as GM, are run by Big Dummies and it is neccesary for Ferrari to explain things carefully so thick minds can understand.
    A good statement by Ferrari

• mfDB said on 4th March 2011, 21:53

First of all, I can’t tell if your kidding, so I will leave your comment alone. but Ferrari’s comment wasn’t just made to the people that run those companies, it was also made to the people in general. they say the ‘consumers’ across the pond and I personally find it annoying and uncalled for. It’s not that Ford is confused by a pickup and an F1 car, it’s that they own the name. If Ford badged one of it’s race cars as a 308GTS or a Testarossa, I can guarantee you that these guys who run their mouths at Ferrari would be going absolutely insane.

I’m a big fan of Ferrari F1, but the current management doesn’t seem to know when to shut up….I miss the Old Man

• Feynman said on 4th March 2011, 21:56

A retarded statement by Ferrari … it was them that messed up originally with a violation of trademark law, if we’re looking for thickos, how about management incapable of even the most basic and rudimentary due-diligence.

This kind of churlish, abusive, snotty garbage, from a supposedly grown-up, sophisticated international company, is cringe inducing, an absolute embarrssment frankly. Is this what people buying the Ferrari brand expect?

And all for nothing more than Luca’s ego, a transparent play to the peanut gallery in the service of tawdry political ambition …. I thought we wanted sport and politics to be kept separate.

• Bren said on 4th March 2011, 23:15

lighten up!!!!

have a beer! chill !!

• Alex Bkk (@alex-bkk) said on 4th March 2011, 23:38

And while your drinking that beer, ask the rest of the Italian people how they feel about the English “th” on a Ferrari F1 car.

• Feynman said on 5th March 2011, 0:31

Bren, be quiet, shhhhh time, grown-ups trying to talk here.

Alex, no-one gives a monkeys about th or °, I am talking about their arrogant and petty tone and their cowardly veiled smears of other companies and countries. They should try and show a little respect. Or are they incapable of basic civility?

If they had used that tone as a commenter on this site, they’d likely get their post deleted.

Ford had a legitimate legal right to protect their property, and Ferrari know this full well, demonstrated by how quickly they backed-down and immediately cobbled together an ultimately inadequate replacement name.
          They were bang out of order, and they knew it. To start insulting those that were in the right, had done nothing wrong, and were victims of an attempted trademark infringement, is both childish and boorish.

For a company trying to prove itself to be the smart ones, having to rename a car once may be regarded as misfortue; to publicly backtrack twice looks like carelessness.

• Alex Bkk (@alex-bkk) said on 5th March 2011, 0:52

I understand your point… My point was simply defending Ferrari’s renaming of the car with the Italian “th”. It looks better on paper than an English “th” and as Seattle Chris has pointed out, it will always be called the F150 by the public.

Oh, and any time is a good time for a beer

Is there anyone here that can write out the Italian name for the car?

F one hundred fiftieth = ?

Honestly I had to Google fiftieth for spelling, I don’t think I’ve ever written that word before.

• bananarama said on 5th March 2011, 1:39

The person whose comments should be under scrutineering are clearly yours. A relaxed conversation would be just fine for this website.

The way this statement looks, Ford demanded they change the name more than they did before. After all, their truck is named F-150, not F150. Not a big difference, but in german law that would make a difference. From my experience american law is a bit different so I guess Ferari could have had problems. They clearly showed goodwill and immediately changed the name. Seems that still wasn’t enough for Ford. Why would Ford want the name to be changed more? So that nobody confuses the F-150 with the Ferrari race car name. Who would confuse a pickup truck with a racecar? Ferrari gave the answer to that in their statement.

I think there is no need to get aggressive about it, if you take a step down you might even see a slight touch of humour.

Cheers.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 5th March 2011, 15:30

Bren, be quiet, shhhhh time, grown-ups trying to talk here.

Not the best way to start a comment that asks others to “show a little respect”.

• Feynman said on 5th March 2011, 18:03

… But turns out to be pretty much exactly the correct response to someone who demonstrated a fundamentally lack of basic respect for any other posters comment.

It’s not complicated, within the rules of this blog, my, or anyones, posts are not required to be pre-submitted to ensure the tone is deemed light enough by characters like Bren.

If they wish to argue or debate the content then that’s good, but pulling weakly passive-aggressive stunts like that particular piece of zero-value-added snark, deserves and requires to be called out as a lack of manners everytime it occurs.

If he had nothing particular to say on the matter at hand, or nothing substantive to contribute to this particular subthread, why did he feel compelled to behave in such a rude and dismissively condescending manner.
            Not very respectful of the community is it? Do you see David?

• Maciek said on 6th March 2011, 21:55

@Feynman. I’m not sure how to point out the irony and utter chutzpah of you posting these words about someone else without seeming to be pointing out the obvious, but it was irresistible anyways.

4. Stratos said on 4th March 2011, 20:50

Ford is crying for nothing, who will confuse a Ferrari F1 car with a pick-up? Probably only in America lawyers can be stubborn enough in oder to try to obtain some money from Ferrari due to a similar name.
    Honestly I think Ferrari should keep the name as F150th and go to the court to fight this case with Ford. Any judge will laugh in the face of any lawyer for this.

5. US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 4th March 2011, 20:54

Any Italian speakers who can spell that out for us? How is it pronounced? Obviously it’s not 150 degrees…

I propose they change its name for every race this year. After Melbourne it could be changed to 150F Italian Legacy. After Sepang it could be the Ferrari ht051 ailati. After China it could be the Ferrari F 100+50=not a pickup truck. There’s no end to the creative ways in which they could clear things up for the thickest among us.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 4th March 2011, 20:58

I believe the ° is the same as when English speakers have a ‘th’ after numbers. I might just stick to calling it “150 Italia” because ‘th’ sounds awful.

• Stefanauss said on 4th March 2011, 21:02

Correct, Keith.

We spell “Effe Centocinquantesimo Italia”, where the bold part is “th”.

• Stefanauss said on 4th March 2011, 21:05

I’d like to add that, while i agree that in English it sounds rather awful, in italian it seems somewhat “musical”, better than just the number itself.

And it strongly pairs with the fact that we refer to our celebration with “Il centocinquantesimo” most of the times.

• US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 4th March 2011, 21:17

Thanks. Centocinquantesimo is what I was looking for, but didn’t they drop the “Effe” part? Like Keith says, I’ll probably just call it the “one-fifty” Italia, since I might have a hard time remembering centocinquantesimo. I’ll try though!

• Stefanauss said on 4th March 2011, 21:20

US_Peter, you’re right. Just drop the F-part, didn’t think about that!

• Fixy (@fixy) said on 4th March 2011, 21:28

If I were English, I’d pronounce it “Ef a hundred and fiftieth Italia”, transalting the suffix, altough the mix of English and Italian is bad.

• Luis said on 4th March 2011, 21:38

I would love to hear a BBC presenter attempting to pronounce “Effe Centocinquantesimo Italia” :-)

• Alex Bkk (@alex-bkk) said on 5th March 2011, 1:18

I can say it but I can’t spell it. It sounds lovely in Italian.

• Guy (@guy) said on 4th March 2011, 21:15

Keith, didn’t you previously suggest you might carry on calling it the F150 anyway?

6. hamifan said on 4th March 2011, 20:59

absolutely pathetic

7. Scootin159 said on 4th March 2011, 21:01

Some other names they passed up:

“Ferrari F1 car built in the 150th anniversary of the unification of Italy”
    “Ferrari F50 plus 100″
    “Ferrari F Henry Ford”

8. Darren said on 4th March 2011, 21:02

I was looking forward to delivery of my brand new F-150 pick up , but when I arrived, the dealer drove up to me in a red Ferrari Formula One car and handed me the keys. Not much room for the hay bales but I sure get around quicker!

9. I try to be balanced when I’m on this site but I have to admit The Horse Whisperer made me literally lol. This is one of the reasons why I love Ferrari; they appear arrogant and are often insulting but at least they say how they feel. I love it when we get a bit of panto and/or emotion in F1 like when Webber slammed his glass down at Silverstone, THP called Stefan GP “the Serbian vultures” or Hamilton shoved that camera the over way when he was in the garage at Canada 08.

It can be immature and make a lot of people hate Ferrari pretty quickly and they’re not exactly graceful but I can’t help but love that style even when I don’t agree with the substance especially in a day and age when everything in F1 is just PR.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 4th March 2011, 21:09

This one is pretty good comedy. Obviously Ferrari is looking forward to making some nice 150° spins on track this year ;-)

• Steve said on 4th March 2011, 21:15

They are the only real racing team left tbh. They stink of passion while the rest all look like bankers.

• Mike said on 6th March 2011, 6:26

Considering Ferrari spends more on F1 each year than most other teams, I suppose Ferrari would actually have more accountants.

Well accountants are nearly bankers right?

In fact, from the perspective of real racing teams not looking like bankers, I’d strongly suggest NASCAR teams are more real than F1 teams, And in fact F1 is so not real, that it is in fact just a figment of your imagination.

But I digress…. XD

• Hare said on 4th March 2011, 23:03

We can all decent to insults and mutual disrespect. People or entities in public positions impact, and influence people around the world. This influence can be as a roll model, as a provoker, as an educater, as a standard.

That in mind, I’m drawn to anyone who feels the need decent to insult, however justified when its a non spontaneous moment. Even in spontaneity its better to find a respectful solution to issues.

Howver, it is what it is, but I don’t warm to this ‘passion’, I warm to genius and the people that pick up the challenge and get on with it.

• wow nice poem. :P

• I don’t like it when they insult people/groups as I stated above and I do wish they could be more respectful. However, on the other side it means that we do get bouts of honesty and usually something more to talk about it the opff season :P

• Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 5th March 2011, 15:40

Actually all this really shows is that no-one takes Ferrari seriously anymore. You can imagine what would happen if Christian Horner accused people of being thick. Yet we’re so used to this juvenile (if amusing, yes, objectively) stuff that they’re like an old man whom we humour.

10. Lee said on 4th March 2011, 21:04

has to be the best press release i have read in a while!

11. Cyclops_PL (@cyclops_pl) said on 4th March 2011, 21:20

How drunk did they get when they thought about THIS?

12. DaveW said on 4th March 2011, 21:21

The only thickness in evidence is Ferrari’s inability to understand the cause of action and legal issues raised in the complaint accompanying Ford’s summons.

The F150 is Ford’s biggest product, period. Why should they let a competitor, FIAT/Chrysler, use it in an international platform, never mind the legal necessity of establishing a continuous, vigorous defense of its valuable marks?

And now every journalist will curse them as they repeatedly having to retrieve the symbol from the bowels of MSWord menus to write about F1.

• ALT + 1076 = °

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 4th March 2011, 21:31

Switch to Czech (CS) keybord and its on the upper left+shift. Lucky me, eh!

• Fixy (@fixy) said on 4th March 2011, 21:31

I have the Italian keyboard and I press Shift + à.

• Burnout said on 4th March 2011, 21:32

While I understand why Ford needed to defend the F-150 name, I find it very hard to believe that anybody would cite this as an example of misuse of copyright. Ferrari’s use of the name is completely unrelated to Ford, and this isn’t a product for public consumption. You may as well say that no other company can use F150 as an internal name code.

Anyway, Centocinquantesimo sounds much better than one hundred fifty/ieth. Sensible move by Ferrari there.

• mfDB said on 4th March 2011, 21:58

I’ll say it again….let’s see Ford badge one of their race cars as a 308GTS, Testarossa, F430, etc and see what Ferrari does….

• Daffid said on 4th March 2011, 21:37

If Ford had any brains they’d realise that suddenly all those googling F150 would have been presented with pictures of a Ford, huge opportunity to expand their brand missed. Thick barely covers it.

• Tergon said on 5th March 2011, 8:37

What competitor?
      Who the hell is talking about fiat/chrysler here?
      We are talking about Ferrari’s F1 car that is likely to be fighting for the championship.
      F-150 (NOT F150) is the biggest product in US (I’ve never seen one in europe), and there are NO F1 races in US this year.
      So F150 will never even get close to F-150….
      And besides, this is Ferrari….Ford should have asked for them to change the name to F150 for promotional reasons, but i guess a car maker that cant make a racing car wouldnt bother anyway…

• Tergon said on 5th March 2011, 9:13

In cases like this I am really glad that Enzo did not sell to Ford, we all know how well Ford manages other brands….
        Oh and btw, if anyone is going to bring up the FORD GT as a good racing car, please read it’s history and you’ll find out that it was made in Britain by Lola and is actually a properly developed Lola GT.

• Kenny (@kenny) said on 6th March 2011, 18:11

Although Eric Broadly was on the team that designed and developed the GT40, and Lola provided space for the team to work in until their own facility was ready, Lola Cars had nothing to do with the project. The car was designed and developed by Ford Advanced Vehicles, Ltd. Various parts of the cars were built by independent contractors in the UK and the US and by Ford, and the engines were Fords (with Weslake piston heads).

• Patrickl said on 5th March 2011, 10:16

In Word on a PC you can use CTRL+SHIFT+”+” to go into superscript and back out.

13. BREAKING NEWS!

“Ford launches legal case against Ferrari for unauthorised use of the letters ‘F’ and ‘R’ in their brand name.”

14. Hamish said on 4th March 2011, 21:23

Lets be realistic here, we’re all still going to call it the F150.

• Hare (@hare) said on 4th March 2011, 22:00

Snap…

• Patrickl said on 5th March 2011, 10:17

Why not just call it “the Ferrari”? Why would you call it by it’s chassis designatation?

• Digitalis said on 7th March 2011, 21:26

Point well taken. The model number or chassis designation or whatever you want to call it is pretty much irrelevant. Seriously, the only people who have these things memorized are the ones spending too much time on the computer in Mommy’s basement.

The whole F150 / F-150 argument here (with a few exceptions) misses the point completely. Ford sued to protect a trademark, and not just from Ferrari. Fast forward 5 years to the introduction of the Geely F150, the Chinese automaker’s first entry into the American pickup market. Ford sues to prevent this, and is told “Well, you let Ferrari call a car an “F150.”

Farfetched? You bet. But that’s what you pay lawyers to do. There isn’t an executive at Ford who cares about this dispute EXCEPT to ensure that the F-150 brand is protected against *real* infringement.

15. Fixy (@fixy) said on 4th March 2011, 21:23

Felipe Massa drives a Ferrari F150 Ferrari F150th Italia Ferrari 150° Italia

Not a good publicity, it will be remembered with having had three names, two of which not particularly nice.

1 2 3