2011 Australian GP team review
Both Mercedes drivers retired after being hit by rivals in Melbourne.
|Michael Schumacher||Nico Rosberg|
|Qualifying time comparison (Q2)||1’25.971 (+0.365)||1’25.606|
Mercedes drivers’ race lap times:
Having missed the cut for Q3 by a tenth of a second, Schumacher lined up 11th on the grid.
He was hit by Jaime Alguersuari at turn three and had to pit to replace a punctured tyre at the end of lap one.
The floor of the Mercedes was also damaged, causing handling problems. Schumacher said: “As the damage was quite substantial, we decided to stop the car for safety reasons.”
Qualified seventh and held the place at the start but was passed by Fernando Alonso on the outside of turn one as they began lap five.
Rosberg switched to hard tyres at his first pit stop but left left him prey to Rubens Barrichello who ran into him on lap 22.
The impact damaged Rosberg side pod, he lost water pressure and retired shortly afterwards.
Ross Brawn said: “This has obviously been a very frustrating weekend for our team.
“Michael’s race was spoilt almost immediately with a collision which eventually caused sufficient damage to force us to retire the car.
“Nico was running reasonably well, however an over-ambitious move from Rubens, which the stewards also agreed with, brought his race to an end.
“It’s a disappointing end to a disappointing first weekend of the season. We will demonstrate our strength as a team, put this race behind us, regroup and go forward from here.”
2011 Australian Grand Prix
- Hamilton and Button expect more from McLaren
- Sauber will not appeal Australia disqualification
- 2011 Australian Grand Prix: complete race weekend review
- Who was the best driver of the Australian Grand Prix weekend?
- No home advantage for Webber at Red Bull
- Relief at McLaren after last-minute changes pay off
- Ferrari look for answers on missing pace
- Collisions spoil Mercedes’ start to the season
- Petrov fires Renault with fine drive to first podium
- Unreliability and driver errors hold Williams back
Browse all 2011 Australian Grand Prix articles
Promoted content from around the web | Become an F1 Fanatic Supporter to hide this ad and others