2011 Australian GP team review
Virgin only narrowly managed to get both cars into the first race of the year.
Jerome d’Ambrosio was the last qualifier, 0.4s inside the 107% time.
However Glock was quite close to the pace of the Lotuses in the race.
|Timo Glock||Jerome d’Ambrosio|
|Qualifying time comparison (Q1)||1’29.858 (-0.964)||1’30.822|
Virgin drivers race lap times:
After failing to lap within 107% of the fastest time in both of Friday’s session, Glock voiced his concern the team might not qualify at all.
The team made progress overnight and Glock eventually qualified within 0.6 seconds of Heikki Kovalainen’s Lotus. Glock said afterwards: “fighting for a time within 107% of the leaders is not what we?óÔé¼Ôäóre here for”.
Glock kept up with Jarno Trulli in the race until a wheel problem in his pit stop caused a long stay in the pits. He rejoined the track
Narrowly qualified for his F1 debut, but only lost around five seconds to Glock over the first 12 laps before his team mate hit trouble. He brought the car home:
“I?óÔé¼Ôäóm really happy to have finished my first Formula One Grand Prix. I started really well and I felt comfortable in the car, even though I think that I could have gone a bit faster at the end of the race.
“But the most important thing is that we completed the race and this will give me plenty of experience which will be useful for the next races.”
2011 Australian Grand Prix
- Hamilton and Button expect more from McLaren
- Sauber will not appeal Australia disqualification
- 2011 Australian Grand Prix: complete race weekend review
- Who was the best driver of the Australian Grand Prix weekend?
- No home advantage for Webber at Red Bull
- Relief at McLaren after last-minute changes pay off
- Ferrari look for answers on missing pace
- Collisions spoil Mercedes’ start to the season
- Petrov fires Renault with fine drive to first podium
- Unreliability and driver errors hold Williams back
Browse all 2011 Australian Grand Prix articles
Promoted content from around the web | Become an F1 Fanatic Supporter to hide this ad and others