What the best dressed drivers are wearing: Helmets of 2011

F1 pictures

They can withstand 800C temperatures and if you accidentally park a tank on one they won’t so much as crack.

They also come in a range of pretty colours. See what the drivers of 2011 have done with their helmet designs:

Sebastian Vettel

Timo Glock

Timo Glock, Virgin, Helmet, 2011

Timo Glock, Virgin, Helmet, 2011

Jerome d’Ambrosio

Jerome d'Ambrosio, Helmet, 2011

Jerome d'Ambrosio, Helmet, 2011

Got a favourite? Vote for which driver’s helmet design you most prefer:

Which F1 helmet design do you like best?

• Sebastian Vettel (7%)
  • Mark Webber (2%)
  • Lewis Hamilton (13%)
  • Jenson Button (7%)
  • Fernando Alonso (6%)
  • Felipe Massa (4%)
  • Michael Schumacher (8%)
  • Nico Rosberg (3%)
  • Nick Heidfeld (13%)
  • Vitaly Petrov (4%)
  • Rubens Barrichello (3%)
  • Pastor Maldonado (1%)
  • Adrian Sutil (0%)
  • Paul di Resta (0%)
  • Kamui Kobayashi (6%)
  • Sergio Perez (1%)
  • Sebastien Buemi (0%)
  • Jaime Alguersuari (2%)
  • Heikki Kovalainen (9%)
  • Jarno Trulli (0%)
  • Narain Karthikeyan (0%)
  • Vitantonio Liuzzi (5%)
  • Timo Glock (2%)
  • Jerome d'Ambrosio (4%)

Total Voters: 490

Loading ... Loading ...

2011 F1 helmets – more pictures

Some more angles on the helmets of 2011:

F1 pictures

View more F1 pictures

Images ?é?® Ferrari spa/Ercole Colombo, Renault/LAT, Williams/LAT, McLaren, Getty Images/Red Bull, Force India F1 Team, Sauber F1 Team, Team Lotus, Virgin Racing, Motioncompany

194 comments on What the best dressed drivers are wearing: Helmets of 2011

1 2 3 7
  1. RIISE (@riise) said on 2nd April 2011, 11:49

If it wasn’t for the Monster advert, Schumacher would get it. But i’ll go with the helmet in my avatar.

2. Damon said on 2nd April 2011, 11:50

It’s got to be massas for me, plus it’s proven it’s ability lol

• Fixy (@fixy) said on 2nd April 2011, 12:20

I voted for Liuzzi even if I preferred the one with white rather than gray. Massa’s to me is worse than the one he was using at the start of this year, but one think I like is the colour is more green and less yellow. I still have to get used to it a bit, I preferred his 2008 one.

• F1iLike said on 2nd April 2011, 14:19

Yep I think Massa’s helmet is by far the coolest! Really nice..

And as for Vettel, Keith I think you will have to update that one week by week ;) The man with the million helmets!

• schumifor2011 said on 4th April 2011, 11:11

yeah thats so true. i remember him having one that looked like a can of red bull.. as in the sides looked like the side of the can (it still kinda does) but on the top it looked like the top of the can with the ring and other details painted on with amazing detail

• macca77 said on 2nd April 2011, 16:15

Yeah Massa’s is the best for me too. Schumacher is close, I like the all red approach, too bad the monster advertising ruins it. Not sure what the dragons on the back mean, i dont like them either.

3. kimika (@kimika) said on 2nd April 2011, 11:54

Jenson’s one is the most beautiful

4. Dan Thorn (@dan-thorn) said on 2nd April 2011, 11:54

Alonso’s is the best. I also like Button’s and Alguersuari’s, and Barrichello’s is great because it’s old school. I quite like Maldonado’s as well actually, but most of them look like someone’s eaten a colour palette and thrown up on them.

• TommyB (@tommyb89) said on 2nd April 2011, 13:08

Alonso’s and Alguersuari’s are my two favourite’s. Button has modernised his design a bit but the union jack idea was clever I thought.

• I almost voted for Fernando and I think he had the best of the field last year.

I voted for Massa’s. When I first saw it at testing I absolutely hated it but now I think it’s a nice upgrade on his usual style. The Ferrari boys have the best helmets though. I like Petrov’s, Webber’s, Kobayashi’s and Jerome’s too. I agree Button’s design is clever but I really don’t like it compared to when it was shiny and think there are many other ones that stand out now.

• bananarama (@bananarama) said on 2nd April 2011, 14:59

I like Schumachers, Alonsos and Hamiltons best because you see the car come round a corner and you immediately recognize who the driver is. They just stand out from the boredom of sponsorship/car matched helmets, especialy those horrible RedBull helmets. I was very happy when Schumacher came back that he kept the red helmet and I still think it looks awesome in the silver car so I think I will go with that one, but as a team effort I like Ferrari best (and McLaren a close second). Heidfelds helmet isn’t bad either and I must say I think Vettel improved from last year.

5. mcmercslr (@mcmercslr) said on 2nd April 2011, 12:00

What a great post.

Me being a big Hamilton fan it had to be hamiltons one. I bet there are about a million different iterations of vettels though

6. Scribe (@scribe) said on 2nd April 2011, 12:01

I think Massa’s because he’s developed his design most originally, loik it. Hen Buttons because it’s always been a nice clever design and he’s also developed it well. Petrovs and Maldonado’s are bubblegum fun.

• I agree with all of that although I can’t work out if I love Pastor’s or hate it which is a good thing because at least it isn’t boring.

7. Rubens for be simple, most of them have way to much going on!

8. damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 2nd April 2011, 12:05

What a great idea for an article! My favourites are; Alonso’s, Button’s because it’s clever, Barrichello’s because it’s… Barrichello’s, Kobayashi’s because it signifies Kamui’s presence, Massa’s for the unique colours, Buemi’s because it’s quite nice and Alguersuari’s because it’s probably the nicest looking helmet out there. However, I voted for Kobayashi! :P

As for the worst; without equivocation, Sutil’s. Those are possibly the most disgusting colours anyone could wish to have representing their head.

9. S.J.M (@sjm) said on 2nd April 2011, 12:09

Just cant help laugh at the Renault drivers helments, looks like they visited the Lotus Factory and had a giant sticker put on their heads as a memento. Ruins both helmets being smack on the forehead.

10. Lemon (@lemon) said on 2nd April 2011, 12:09

Jenson’s, Massa’s and vettel’s are all very nice but I would give it to Heikki for the most well balanced and unique design!

11. LookingSpiffy (@lookingspiffy) said on 2nd April 2011, 12:15

Still very fond of Petrov’s design, so simple (though not as simple as Barrichello’s!) and distinctive amongst all the others. Love the colours of Kovalainen’s, Kobayashi’s and Massa’s, though I still prefer the previous design Massa used – I think it went just fine with the new SFM logo.

12. krtekf1 (@krtekf1) said on 2nd April 2011, 12:16

My favourite is Heidfeld`s helmet! It really suits with the car! :)

13. rikpacman (@rikpacman) said on 2nd April 2011, 12:20

I’m a ma-hussive Hamilton fan but I don’t get why people are voting for his helmet as the best design… I know it’s yellow as a tribute to Senna but the actual design looks dated and lazy. Heikki Kovalainen’s is the standout one for me.

• Lemon (@lemon) said on 2nd April 2011, 12:27

Yeh completely agree, I’m also a Hamilton fan but his helmet design is pretty average tbh, nothing special. Looks like he’s just getting the votes because he has a lot of supporters on this website!

• RIISE (@riise) said on 2nd April 2011, 12:48

Not Heikki’s….surely not?

• mags (@mags) said on 2nd April 2011, 12:59

I’m with you on the helmet bit(not a Hamilton fan)-it does seem as if people are voting by driver rather than style-unless f1 fans are completely without taste! I also quite like liuzzi’s, just for the asymmetrical colouring.

• Patrickl (@patrickl) said on 2nd April 2011, 13:10

I don’t like the design much, but as recognizability goes it’s one of the best.

• Solo (@solo) said on 2nd April 2011, 15:21

Well actually that helmet looks better than those pics. That gray background makes things worse probably. On the track it looks quite awesome and is easily recognizable without being an eyesore.
      You don’t need ten thousand designs features to have a nice helmet.

Btw i never heard Senna having anything to do with the helmet. The story i heard was that from his early carting days, his father gave him a yellow helmet to wear so he can spot him easily between other kids and be less worried about him.

• robbiepblake (@driftin) said on 2nd April 2011, 15:49

Hamilton’s is good because it’s distinctive, not because it’s actually a nice design.

• sato113 (@sato113) said on 2nd April 2011, 22:12

I thought HAM’s helmet was yellow because back in his karting days he could only afford a single colour helmet and His dad thought yellow would be easier to see on track.

• Harv's said on 4th April 2011, 0:13

It is, it had origianlly had nothing to do with senna, i think the best helmet are the ones that you instantly know who is driving, the ones that have a different contrast with the car! Hamilton, Massa, Schumi, Rosberg, Petrov not all these helmets with tiny details that you never see. i also like a helmet that has a story behind it, not like vettel, what had a red bull can on his head

14. Dane said on 2nd April 2011, 12:21

My favourite 2 are Petrovs & Maldonado’s. His design reminds me of Evil Knievels. + I never knew Webbers helmet had the Australian coat of arms.

15. Drarckula (@drarckula) said on 2nd April 2011, 12:22

i like Massa’s, kobayashi’s and Kovalainen’s. im not fond of Heidfeld’s, I preferred his when he was with BMW but that might be just me…

1 2 3 7