Sauber scored points with both cars for the first time this year.
The team had some aerodynamic changes on the C30 including revised front wings.
|Kamui Kobayashi||Sergio Perez|
|Qualifying time comparison (Q2)||1’23.702 (+0.335)||1’23.367|
Sauber drivers’ lap times throughout the race (in seconds):
Was frustrated after being held up in qualifying: “On my last lap, when I was on new soft tyres, a Force India was in trouble in front of me, he made a mistake in turn ten and that was it for me. It is a shame because our new aero package is working well.”
He picked up a puncture in the first half of the opening lap. It’s not clear exactly what happened, but Kobayashi said: “I was pushed into the gravel and then another car touched me, which resulted in a left rear puncture.
“I had to pit and was relegated to last, which of course cost us a very good set of the soft tyres.”
He did a 24-lap stint on the hard tyres before switching back to softs. After that he made up a lot of places, passing Vitaly Petrov for 11th with ten laps to go, when became tenth after Felipe Massa retired.
Perez scored his first points (that he was allowed to keep) after a trouble-free race.
The team took the decision to use the hard tyres for his second stint, leaving him free to attack on soft tyres over the final two stints.
His lap times dropped off towards the end of his final run on soft tyres which, at 19 laps, was much longer than many other drivers managed. But he was unable to keep Nick Heidfeld from taking eighth.
Perez said: “My first points in Formula One are obviously something special for me, and it is good for the team that Kamui also scored.
“The team had a very good race strategy and did a perfect job at the pit stops. I feel that for me today is a turning point in this season.”
2011 Spanish Grand Prix
- 2011 Spanish Grand Prix: complete race weekend review
- Vote for the best driver of the Spanish Grand Prix weekend
- Red Bull: Vettel soaks up pressure for fourth win
- McLaren: Hamilton strong on “disastrous” Pirellis
- Ferrari: Alonso stars, Massa struggles
- Mercedes: Rosberg wanted Schumacher to let him pass
- Renault: Heidfeld eighth after “worst fire of my career”
- Williams: Maldonado reaches Q3 but still no points
- Sauber: Kobayashi gets point after puncture
- Force India hold back on aerodynamic upgrade
Image ?é?® Sauber F1 Team