Hamilton apologises to Massa and Maldonado

2011 Monaco Grand Prix

Pastor Maldonado, Williams, Monaco, 2011

Pastor Maldonado, Williams, Monaco, 2011

Lewis Hamilton has apologised for comments he made after the Monaco Grand Prix in a series of posts on Twitter.

Hamilton said: “Hey guys. I wanted to apologise for last weekend’s performance and also my comments after, I never meant to offend no one.

“I would also like to say thank you to everyone on here, for their positive messages and also to the angry messages. I can respect them both.

“To Massa and Maldonado, with the greatest respect I apologise if I offended you. Both of you are fantastic drivers who I regard highly.

“To my fans lost and my fans won, I wish you nothing but love and happiness. God bless you. Onwards and upwards, Montreal next.”

Following the Monaco Grand Prix Hamilton accused the two drivers of causing collisions by turning in on him while he was trying to overtake them, saying “these drivers are absolutely fricking ridiculous, it?s stupid.”

2011 Monaco Grand Prix

Browse all 2011 Monaco Grand Prix articles

152 comments on Hamilton apologises to Massa and Maldonado

1. mattr said on 31st May 2011, 13:36

lewis was voted the best driver at the spanish grand prix,and he was great in china too.
    he has one bad weekend and ppl judge him on that.
    what he did in the race has been blown out of proportion.he said some stupid things,we all do when we are frustrated,and we’re not trying to win a world championship.
    anyway he apologizes for what he did,and ppl still arent happy.
    bottom line is,he was punished for both incidents,and he’s apologized for what happened.that good enough for me.

• AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 31st May 2011, 20:00

It is good enough, you’re correct. However people will always jump all over bad news, it makes for far more interesting headlines. This will be forgotten come Valencia (it will be featured in the Montreal build-up).

2. Robert Edwards said on 31st May 2011, 13:59

I’ve followed F1 for some 40 years now and obviously remember the battles between Senna, Prost, Lauda, Piquet, Mansell, etc. I was at Monaco in 1984 and saw Senna in the Toleman. I was furious when Ickx stopped the race! What gorious years!!! Many young fans today didn’t live that era and have no way of comparing to today’s sport. The Spanish and English press had a field day with Lewis and Fernando in McLaren. This week-end we’ve had Lewis’s outbursts and very mixed and diverse coments from around the world. But I see it this way… Hamilton is currently the most spectacular driver in F1 today. We all compain when the sport is boring. This year it is much better with the new regs. But it’s never boring when Kewis is driving. And that’s the way I like formula1.

3. kristy said on 31st May 2011, 14:04

sounds like he is sucking up. everyone one saw his true colours, its too late for pr apologies.
    its a constant cycle, first he blames everyone, then he apologises only when he sees the public swing against him. he has to be a bigger man at the first step and be able to take defeat. to be considered a winner, you also have to be a gracious loser. but its getting worse with hamilton, he hasnt matured in f1, infact he is acting more spoilt, previously he mainly moaned if the car wasnt good enough, now he moans at others for his own mistakes.

4. Melty said on 31st May 2011, 14:08

Has anyone noticed that Maldonado made more than one blocking move down the ‘straight’? Why was this not noticed by the stewards? Is it a result of the straight not really being straight, that helped this avoid detection?

5. mattr said on 31st May 2011, 15:35

maldonado clearly weaves infront of lewis and turns in too early.

it should have gone down as a racing incident.

• slr said on 31st May 2011, 16:31

Maldonado was defending but then changed back to the racing line to take the corner properly. If he was weaving to defend, it wouldn’t be a racing incident, it would be Maldonado getting the penalty.

6. mattr said on 31st May 2011, 15:49

the same move on schumacher

7. west (@west) said on 31st May 2011, 17:03

keith remember hamilton is fighting for the championship, he was not going to sit behind those slow guy’ or slow cars’ he had to use his tactics to pass them, but they lack expriance thats why the accident happened . Look at him and schum both have expriance there was no accident

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 31st May 2011, 17:14

I don’t think I’ve ever said Hamilton isn’t fighting for the championship and should have just stayed behind the other cars, so I’m not sure you’re getting at.

• Macca77 said on 1st June 2011, 6:49

That’s funny, Massa has a lot more experience than Lewis in F1. First of all he drove for Sauber a few years before going to Ferrari, something Lewis didnt do and shows everytime he opens his mouth.

8. west (@west) said on 31st May 2011, 17:10

And remember guys once some one say sorry they need to be forgiven we all do mistakes in our life . stop all the crap you talking let lew fight for the championship his the only one who can stop the bull,lol

9. mattr said on 31st May 2011, 17:26

hamiltons overtake of schumacher

hamiltons overtake of maldonado.

if you pause the video at 13 seconds youll see how deep maldonado cuts in.his 2 wheels are not on the curb,half of his car is over it.

10. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 31st May 2011, 19:57

I knew Hamilton would be tripping over himself to apologise. I can’t imagine he’s lost many fans. Might not have gained too many but irrespective of how reckless he was in Monaco I can never hold it against a driver for sheer determination. He’s not a vindictive guy, he just wants to win.

11. boomerang said on 31st May 2011, 20:49

McLaren will be my favorite team always! But, I don’t understand them since the season 2007 when they relinquished the title to Ferrari. Regarding the circumstances that was only logical thing to do but…, it was quite obvious that a colored man would win F1 championship in his rookie year. Unthinkable and unacceptable by some.
    Freaking ridiculous? Not really, when you have a FIA president with Nazi background and bunch of people that endorsed him and took advantage from his term of service.
    I think that McLaren team, instead of forcing Lewis to apologize, should be more supportive in situations like this. Or, if they find it to hard to be supportive, at least to be…, I don’t know…, more human I guess…

12. kbdavies said on 31st May 2011, 22:34

Most people commenting here have never been involved in any competitive sport before, and certainly not at the highest level. They do NOT understand the desire to win and how it encompasses, define and shapes a persons life; This is why they expect sportsmen to behave like robots in the heat of competition.

Most people criticizing Lewis would have said far far worse if they had gone through the kind of weekend Lewis had a Monaco. It really p****s me off!

The guy is human for Gods sake! His desire to win is clearly above most of the grid; save for Alonso, Schumacher and Vettel – and we all know how they behave when things go against them, or they lose.

We say we want racing, but vilify the best racer on the grid when it goes wrong, vilify him for speaking his mind, vilify him for apologizing, even vilify him when his team makes a mistake that costs him dearly!
    And in this case, he CLEARLY was NOT at fault for both incidents. I agree with Lewis that Massa must indeed be stupid; as its not the first time that he has tried to turn the car overtaking him into a pile of Lego bricks. He is even known for destroying his own race just to stop another car from overtaking him.
    Lewis has NEVER been involved in an incident where another car has attempted to overtake him – This cannot be said for Massa, Webber, Vettel etc, and i dont see crowds out trying to hang and quarter them! At worst, this was a racing incident for Gods sake.

I just hate it when underachieving couch potatoes who cant do a tenth of what a sportsman does suddenly become experts on sports psychology and start criticizing the said sportsperson when he does something wrong. They have no idea what it take to reach the highest echelons of your sport, the effort, hard work, sacrifices and sweat. Yeah, you may have read about , but if you have NEVER been in any physically demanding competitive sport at the highest level, you just need to shut up and slink back to your unfulfilled existence, instead of criticizing those that have the guts to do it! Rant over!

• VXR said on 1st June 2011, 9:02

I hope that’s not a dig at me, because I ‘have’ raced around Monaco!

And sometimes you realise that barging your way through the opposition is more likely to make things worse, rather than better. Hamilton was lucky to come away with the points he came away with at Monaco, regardless of whether or not he had received any penalties. His car won’t always come off best.

13. Malibu_GP said on 1st June 2011, 3:39

Thank You so much @kpdavies! I have wanted to convey that sentiment forever here… Jeez, you would think the Man has committed a capital offence.

14. Malibu_GP said on 1st June 2011, 3:41

I’m sorry, kbDavies!

15. Ben Bailey said on 1st June 2011, 9:25

Check out these great photos and analysis of the Hamilton/ Schumi and then Maldanado overtakes. Causing an avoidable accident? Looks like it was Pastor that caused the accident to me when like schumi he could have avoided it and scored more valuable points for williams.
    These moves should be encouraged not penalised. Crazy for DiRista to be punished and subsequently Lewis twice!