2011 European GP team review
The Virgins were able to overhaul the HRTs but didn’t have the pace to challenge the Lotuses.
|Timo Glock||Jerome D’Ambrosio|
|Qualifying time comparison (Q1)||1’42.553 (-1.182)||1’43.735|
Virgin drivers’ lap times throughout the race (in seconds):
Opportunistic driving on the first lap allowed Glock to pass both Lotuses despite not getting ahead of them off the line – he squeezed past around the tight corners as they crossed the bridge for the first time. He even picked off Jaime Alguersuari around the outside of turn ten.
But his advantage was short-lived: “I had a very good opening lap and I overtook both the Lotus cars and a Toro Rosso, although he got right back past me straight away.
“Once the DRS was enabled I couldn?óÔé¼Ôäót keep Heikki [Kovalainen] and Jarno [Trulli] behind me and after that I just ran my own race.”
Qualified behind Vitantonio Liuzzi but broke free of the HRT, which pitted once more than he did.
Struggled to the end of the race without a drinks bottle, losing three kilos of fluid according to the team.
2011 European Grand Prix
- 2011 European Grand Prix: complete race weekend review
- Vote for your driver of the European GP weekend
- Red Bull: “Rules changed but not the result”
- Ferrari: Alonso says Red Bull up to a second faster
- McLaren: Only third-fastest in Valencia
- Mercedes: Schumacher takes blame for collision
- Toro Rosso: Alguersuari bounces back
- Sauber: Perez nearly grabs a point with one-stopper
- Renault: Boullier unhappy with single point
- Force India: Sutil cracks the top ten
Image ?é?® Virgin Racing