2011 F1 season
Ferrari have changed their official team name from “Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro” to “Scuderia Ferrari”.
A Ferrari spokesperson told F1 Fanatic: “Philip Morris International and Ferrari have responded to recent concerns regarding the official Ferrari team name and have decided, effective immediately and worldwide, that ‘Marlboro’ will no longer be a part of the team name.
“Whilst we do not agree with the concerns raised, our decision has been taken in line with our history of responsiveness on similar issues and to avoid what would likely be an unnecessary and unproductive debate.”
Last month Ferrari extended its sponsorship deal with Philip Morris, owners of the Marlboro brand, to 2015.
The team changed the graphics used on its cars last year following claims it was designed to be visually similar to Marlboro’s branding.
2011 F1 season
- New video of Maldonado and Hamilton’s Monaco crash
- How well do you remember the 2011 F1 season? Take the F1 Fanatic quiz
- The 2011 F1 season: The complete F1 Fanatic review
- Your 2011 F1 predictions revisited
- Barrichello tipped to stay at Williams
- 2011 F1 statistics part 3: Stats and facts highlights
- 2011 F1 statistics part two: Vettel’s domination
- 2011 F1 statistics part one: car performance
- New 2011 rules produced best racing of last four years
- What F1 Fanatics really thought of the 2011 season
Browse all 2011 F1 season articles
Image © Ferrari spa/Ercole Colombo