Ferrari drops ‘Marlboro’ from official team name

2011 F1 season

Scuderia Ferrari logo

Scuderia Ferrari logo

Ferrari have changed their official team name from “Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro” to “Scuderia Ferrari”.

A Ferrari spokesperson told F1 Fanatic: “Philip Morris International and Ferrari have responded to recent concerns regarding the official Ferrari team name and have decided, effective immediately and worldwide, that ‘Marlboro’ will no longer be a part of the team name.

“Whilst we do not agree with the concerns raised, our decision has been taken in line with our history of responsiveness on similar issues and to avoid what would likely be an unnecessary and unproductive debate.”

Last month Ferrari extended its sponsorship deal with Philip Morris, owners of the Marlboro brand, to 2015.

The team changed the graphics used on its cars last year following claims it was designed to be visually similar to Marlboro’s branding.

2011 F1 season

Browse all 2011 F1 season articles

Image ?? Ferrari spa/Ercole Colombo

41 comments on Ferrari drops ‘Marlboro’ from official team name

1. Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 8th July 2011, 23:25

‘…so there!’

Hopefully this will put the whole thing to rest once and for all.

2. Mike said on 8th July 2011, 23:26

Good. Very good.

3. Noelinho (@noelinho) said on 8th July 2011, 23:28

Interesting… so how exactly do Marlboro gain from this arrangement now?

4. electrolite (@electrolite) said on 8th July 2011, 23:37

An ‘unproductive debate’ eh?

5. Pete said on 9th July 2011, 0:09

Finally! In a world where cigarette advertising is banned, somehow Ferrari have been allowed to get away with it for years….

• Snow Donkey said on 9th July 2011, 0:11

Somehow I get the impression that if this was done right after signing a deal into 2015, this is pretty much the reaction when we’re not looking.

6. George (@george) said on 9th July 2011, 0:10

our decision has been taken in line with our history of responsiveness

I have to say I had a good laugh at this part, how many years is it since tobacco advertising was banned?

I was never a big fan of sponsors being tacked onto team names, I hate the whole ‘we at Vodaphone McLaren Mercedes’ thing with a passion.

7. Gridlock said on 9th July 2011, 0:32

“In order to preclude any possibility of being made to drop the new team logo device, which has proven very successful at raising brand profile in countries where Ferrari is a mainline to untapped markets of aspirational smokers, we’re dropping a name which never appeared anywhere that matters anyway”

Fixed :)

8. VXR said on 9th July 2011, 1:41

The art of drawing attention to something that doesn’t deserve any attention, seems to be still working.

Oh no! I fell for it too!

9. US Williams Fan (@us-williams-fan) said on 9th July 2011, 2:30

FINALLY…… I can enjoy a pack of “red apples” without feeling guilty that that their name is associated with Ferrari! :)

10. Eggry (@eggry) said on 9th July 2011, 4:03

It looks like their maketing skill is always beyond of our awareness. Should be there’s something…

11. Burnout (@burnout) said on 9th July 2011, 6:38

As somebody else said on this site the last time the Marlboro sponsorship controversy flared up: “Why would Philip Morris associate themselves with a marque that makes noisy cars which catch fire?” :D

12. Marina said on 9th July 2011, 7:54

I didn’t mind “Marlboro” part of the name anyway, and the whole situation (and how little exposion it receives) seems a bit strange to me. Last year the there were much more loud objections but it didn’t make them change the name. This year the protests seem to be more subdued (not even real protests in fact). I wonder why did they actually do that this time?

13. Fixy (@fixy) said on 9th July 2011, 8:56

I couldn’t believe it when I first read it – I still can’t believe it! What’s happened to Ferrari? Are they trying to get some compliments to destract the media’s attention from their bad results?

14. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 9th July 2011, 9:04

I can’t imagine Marlboro are too perturbed by this. Any damage done would be a result of losing the logo on the car etc…clearly they have confidence they can still make a profit, they will have seen this coming.