Michael Schumacher’s off-track pass on Fernando Alonso at the Rettifilio was not shown during the race
But footage of the moment was captured by a fan at the first corner.
See that and more in this collection of the best fans’ videos from Monza.
The past merges with the present at Monza. Spectators at the first turn look over the old banking towards turn one:
HRT pit stop practice
This side-on view of the top four cars shows how good Fernando Alonso’s start was and how poor Jenson Button’s was. The Ferrari was past the McLaren before they reached the starting line.
Alonso grabs the lead at the first corner, prompting a cheer from the crowd:
The first-lap crash
Heading to the first corner, Vitantonio Liuzzi makes sure the HRT pit crew don’t have to worry about changing his tyres:
As the race gets going again, Vettel chases Alonso into Parabolica but Lewis Hamilton has fallen into Schumacher’s clutches:
Webber’s Red Bull
Mark Webber crashed at the Parabolica early on in the race. Here’s video of his car afterwards
Schumacher (briefly) passes Alonso
While the TV cameras were showing replays of Webber’s crash, Schumacher briefly got ahead of Alonso.
As this video shows, he ran too deep into the Rettifilio chicane on lap six, cutting the corner and passing the Ferrari.
Having cut the corner he let Alonso past again. As the world feed cut back from replays Schumacher was attacking Alonso again at the della Roggia chicane:
Plenty of passing going on in the DRS zone heading to Ascari:
Monza surely has the best podium in Formula 1. Here’s footage of Alonso celebrating with the crowd:
It pays to be connected. Here’s some well-edited footage from the hospitality suite adjacent to the start/finish line. Includes some great close-ups of the drivers pre-race:
So far it seems no-one captured any footage of Felipe Massa, Jarno Trulli and Sebastien Buemi colliding at the della Roggia on lap five.
2011 Italian Grand Prix
- Sebastian Vettel named Driver of the Weekend for Monza
- Rate the race result: 2011 Italian Grand Prix
- FIA steward Daly says Schumacher should have had penalty
- 2011 Italian Grand Prix: complete race weekend review
- Vote for your Italian GP driver of the weekend
- Red Bull: Vettel poised to clinch second title
- McLaren: Button leads Hamilton home again
- Ferrari: Alonso admits “the title is gone”
- Mercedes: Schumacher fifth after Hamilton battle
- Renault: Senna claims first points finish
Image ?é?® Daimler