Alonso “extremely happy” with Massa as team mate

2011 Korean Grand Prix

Felipe Massa, Fernando Alonso, Ferrari, Suzuka, 2011

Massa out-qualified Alonso at Suzuka but Alonso passed him

Fernando Alonso says he’s “extremely happy” with his current team mate Felipe Massa.

Asked during today’s press conference if he would welcome Sebastian Vettel as his team mate at Ferrari Alonso said: “I am extremely happy with any team-mate I have alongside me.

“I think now I am extremely happy with Felipe. I think we have a very strong team at the moment.”

Alonso has out-scored Massa by 202 points to 90 so far this season and finished ahead of his team mate in ten out of 12 races where both were classified.

“We are different drivers with different styles that we can help each other with a way of driving and a way of approaching the weekend. I am constantly learning from Felipe in these two years and I am extremely happy.

“In the future, nobody knows. I have a long-term contract with Ferrari for the next five or six years so I don?t know, if we can keep going with Felipe or if there will be a change in the future. If someone else is coming we will try to work as close as we work now as we do with him and try to help Ferrari in as many races as possible so it will be good.”

Alonso said his target for the final four races of the season is to “try to win one race if possible.”

“We know it will be difficult,” he said. “Red Bull will remain favourites for the remaining races. McLaren is very strong at this part of the championship as well, so we know it is going to be difficult.”

Contrary to what he said last week, Alonso said he is not interested in the runner-up place in the championship: “I think finishing, second, third or fifth in the drivers championship is not a big difference.

“Once you cannot be world champion it is not any more a big interest on that. And then in the constructors championship, which is maybe more important, McLaren are still quite a long way ahead of us, so we need to do the maximum, but we know it is also going to be difficult to catch them.

“As I said try and enjoy racing like we did at Suzuka last weekend, when you can be aggressive on the starts, you can play a little bit with the strategy. We can enjoy Sundays, try do good races, maximise the potential of the car and if we do that then we know a podium is very possible and as I said if there is one opportunity to win one of the remaining Grands Prix we try to take it.”

2011 Korean Grand Prix

Browse all 2011 Korean Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Ferrari spa/Ercole Colombo

57 comments on Alonso “extremely happy” with Massa as team mate

1. Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 13th October 2011, 12:21

Ooo, bigger picture…like it.

And yeh, I bet Alonso is happy with Massa as a team-mate. No-one to upset the balance and reasonably good at occupying the spot behind him, should Ferrari ever have the best car again.

• maybe, but i wonder if Ferrari are *really* happy with Massa as his team mate, his lack of results (inc those w/o Hamilton contact) has pratically has gifted Mclaren 2nd in the WCC for the last 2 years.

• McLarenFanJamm (@mclarenfanjamm) said on 13th October 2011, 18:35

@Icthyes – exactly what I was thinking. 202 points to 90 and beating him 10-2 in races, what’s not to be happy about?

• damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 15th October 2011, 19:18

It’s the same situation within Red Bull really. Mark is the perfect number 2 really. He’s just good enough to help them take the Constructors’ title, but not good enough to disrupt his team mate’s dominance.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 13th October 2011, 20:52

I found this one nice @icthyes

I bet Alonso must be really astonished to see what humiliation Massa can take without cracking, and still be supportive of the team. That must me an eye-opener to him :-)

2. Eggry (@eggry) said on 13th October 2011, 12:23

of course he would. However I’m sure he isn’t happy with car.

3. Hairs (@hairs) said on 13th October 2011, 12:28

In other news:

“Dog happy with being scratched behind ear”
    “Cat pleased with regular distribution of food”
    “Duck savours rain shower”
    “Plant grateful for hydrogen fusion”

Of course Alonso’s happy with Massa, he’s the best teammate he’s ever had. Guaranteed to back down, no natural self confidence, easily dominated, and not particularly talented. Exactly what he wanted at McLaren and didn’t get.

4. SennaNmbr1 (@sennanmbr1) said on 13th October 2011, 12:31

What a joke. I’m surprised anyone wants to drive for Ferrari.

5. Dobin1000 (@dobin1000) said on 13th October 2011, 12:43

I almost covered my desk in the coffee I was drinking when I read the headline! A subservient team mate who also keeps tripping over Hamilton and causing him problems too – I bet Felipe is getting a big Christmas hamper from Fernando after this season…

6. Hatebreeder (@hatebreeder) said on 13th October 2011, 12:44

Did massa really lift off to let alonso pass at the Japanese GP as brundle had said? cause then i guess it’s obvious he is “extremely happy” with massa. :P

• Becken Lima (@becken-lima) said on 13th October 2011, 13:49

Japanese GP is not an exception this year:

• Doubt it. Massa was having big problems with the rear tyres irrc and at Hungary Massa was again right off the pace when that incident happened. He probably wasn’t going to fight much when he was so slow as most team mates wouldn’t but there’s no evidence of team orders I think and they’d be pretty pointless given Ferrari aren’t fighting for either title.

• Mike (@mike) said on 13th October 2011, 14:35

I’m fairly sure he did, which is a good thing too.

Alonso was faster, and it benefited the team as a whole.
      That, is being a good team mate.

7. sumedh said on 13th October 2011, 12:47

Thanks for this one. Was having a boring day at office. The article made me LOL

8. Daniel2030 said on 13th October 2011, 13:00

of course. any teammate that plays second driver role to him he is extremely happy with.

alonso with an equal teammate is average at best.

• TED BELL said on 13th October 2011, 22:13

Isn’t it great that Alonso is happy with Massa as a team mate ?? Too bad none of the rest of us are….

9. David-A (@david-a) said on 13th October 2011, 13:06

Who else burst out laughing when they saw the headline? :P

10. PJA (@pja) said on 13th October 2011, 13:15

I am not surprised Alonso is happy with Massa as his teammate, someone Alonso consistently beats, and on the rare occasion Massa is ahead of him on the track Massa will move over to let Alonso through.

What more could he ask for from a teammate.

11. Maksutov (@maksutov) said on 13th October 2011, 13:15

Very laughable :D

12. Surely Massa now needs to “disobey” team orders and not let Alonso through – start with Korea. And if Massa beats him fair and square – then resign and retire.

But I suppose that will never happen as Ferrari might take too long to change tyres for Massa.

• Robdsgg said on 13th October 2011, 14:19

The problem is Massa is just plain slower than Alonso. There’s no pull over button going on most of the time. Although Massa doesnt try take Alonso out (being team mates and all), he still trys to build a gap and keep Alonso behind. Once the overtake begins, there’s only so much you can do to stop a quicker car from overtaking you in the DRS zone.

We saw many overtakes in the same corner in Japan, and they all looked exactly the same as Alonso’s on Massa. So you can throw your expectations of Ferrari out of the window on that one.

So even if he tries to be a bad team player, Massa will still get overtaken and beaten by Alonso because Alonso is consistently about .5 seconds a lap quicker.

13. Colossal Squid (@colossal-squid) said on 13th October 2011, 14:19

Well I’d be delighted if Ferrari got another win. It’ll be very difficult thought. Maybe the unknown of India will throw up a suprise!

14. Not really a big surprise. I don’t think Alonso would have a season like 07 if he had a stronger team mate but he’s quite happy when he’s ruling the roost and directing things. It’s not like other world champs haven’t done the same. Besides, I doubt he’s going to say anything negative about his current team mate. I think I remember Lewis saying he was perfectly happy with Heikki before he got the boot. Massa puts the team first so there’s no way Alonso’s going to stick the knife in and they seem to get on OK.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 13th October 2011, 21:01

I think you are right on that part about 07, Alonso seems to have got over it and would handle things differently now as he’s had the experience of that.
      As for other champs being much the same, we only have to look at Senna, Prost, Piquet and Schumacher pushing/asking/influencing their team to choose certain team mates to their liking.

15. Dimitris 1395 (@) said on 13th October 2011, 14:38

For Alonso, Massa is the perfect team-mate, much as Fisichella was in 2006. Not equally competitive, always obedient to team orders, able to score some points for the team. I don’t blame Alonso