Alonso “extremely happy” with Massa as team mate

2011 Korean Grand Prix

Felipe Massa, Fernando Alonso, Ferrari, Suzuka, 2011

Massa out-qualified Alonso at Suzuka but Alonso passed him

Fernando Alonso says he’s “extremely happy” with his current team mate Felipe Massa.

Asked during today’s press conference if he would welcome Sebastian Vettel as his team mate at Ferrari Alonso said: “I am extremely happy with any team-mate I have alongside me.

“I think now I am extremely happy with Felipe. I think we have a very strong team at the moment.”

Alonso has out-scored Massa by 202 points to 90 so far this season and finished ahead of his team mate in ten out of 12 races where both were classified.

“We are different drivers with different styles that we can help each other with a way of driving and a way of approaching the weekend. I am constantly learning from Felipe in these two years and I am extremely happy.

“In the future, nobody knows. I have a long-term contract with Ferrari for the next five or six years so I don?t know, if we can keep going with Felipe or if there will be a change in the future. If someone else is coming we will try to work as close as we work now as we do with him and try to help Ferrari in as many races as possible so it will be good.”

Alonso said his target for the final four races of the season is to “try to win one race if possible.”

“We know it will be difficult,” he said. “Red Bull will remain favourites for the remaining races. McLaren is very strong at this part of the championship as well, so we know it is going to be difficult.”

Contrary to what he said last week, Alonso said he is not interested in the runner-up place in the championship: “I think finishing, second, third or fifth in the drivers championship is not a big difference.

“Once you cannot be world champion it is not any more a big interest on that. And then in the constructors championship, which is maybe more important, McLaren are still quite a long way ahead of us, so we need to do the maximum, but we know it is also going to be difficult to catch them.

“As I said try and enjoy racing like we did at Suzuka last weekend, when you can be aggressive on the starts, you can play a little bit with the strategy. We can enjoy Sundays, try do good races, maximise the potential of the car and if we do that then we know a podium is very possible and as I said if there is one opportunity to win one of the remaining Grands Prix we try to take it.”

2011 Korean Grand Prix

Browse all 2011 Korean Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Ferrari spa/Ercole Colombo

57 comments on Alonso “extremely happy” with Massa as team mate

1. The Limit said on 13th October 2011, 14:59

It certainly is not a surprise that Alonso is happy with Felipe Massa as his team mate, but the Spaniard is probably more content at having Ferrari at his beck and call, as the team’s number one driver. Fernando knows that if he had a quicker guy in the sister Ferrari, beating him on a regular basis, his number one status within the team would come under threat.
    The bigger issue here is that it appears that the Ferrari top brass are happier with Alonso that they were with Kimi Raikkonen. Fernando looked at ease as soon as he donned the red overalls last year, and that counts for alot. However, with Luca De Montezemolo both praising Vettel and Hamilton’s talents in public, one must always remember that the buck always stops with Luca and no one else.
    I often wonder if Alonso secretly wants a topline driver in the sister car so that he can prove, once and for all, that he can beat a great team mate who has the same machinery as him. That would really lay the ghosts of 2007 forever in my eyes, as so many suggest that Alonso can only thrive in a team where he is the only ‘star’ driver.

2. OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 13th October 2011, 15:03

Alonso is happy now, what about 2007? His clash with a good teammate (Lewis in his really good days) made him feel so uncomfortable that he preferred going to a taylormade but uneffective Renault team (where another servant crashed for him in Singapore to give him some “hapiness”) than staying in a competitive McLaren which won the championship a year later… he could have probably had his third WDC already if he wasn’t so picky with teammates. He wants to set his own legend as Prost, banning good teammates who scared him (Senna), or he wants to be consider a truly champion again? his 2 championships were well deserved, outclassing his teammates, now he needs a pawn to feel better… baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaddddddddddd

3. Neel Jani (@neelv27) said on 13th October 2011, 16:01

Why would he be unhappy? Ferrari has a “puppet” called Felipe Massa who would distract the media and critics by blaming others for his poor results whenever he gets involved in an incident (though not his fault with incidents).

Alonso is a great driver. He is the most complete driver on the grid. He is a balanced driver and can easily outperform good drivers. The problem is that he gets insecure when a competitive driver comes into the team. He wants the team to be his “own”.

Regarding Massa, he is not even a proper No. 2 driver. I mean Alonso 202 points and Massa only 90!! Only 44.5% of points what Alonso has. This explains why Ferrari has been 3rd in Championships in 2010 and 2011.

4. andrewf1 (@andrewf1) said on 13th October 2011, 16:09

Alonso’s quote is one of those things you would expect Captain Obvious to say.

5. Fixy (@fixy) said on 13th October 2011, 16:20

I smiled reading this. I don’t know why but I feel it’s exaggerated abit ;)
    Learning how not to attack or defend from Lewis in the last few races, surely!

6. RumFRESH (@rumfresh) said on 13th October 2011, 18:51

Fernando may be happy with Massa but I’m not so sure about Ferrari being happy with Felipe. I can’t help thinking that they would do a lot better in the constructor’s championship if one of their drivers hadn’t somehow become a midfield racer.

7. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 13th October 2011, 19:59

Ever the optimist, but not in a cheesy Hamilton kinda way.

It can’t be a Formula 1 season without a win for Ferrari, surely?

When was the last time that happened?

8. sid_prasher (@) said on 13th October 2011, 21:13

Massa has had a couple of really bad years..,I think he needs to win a race (somehow) to get his groove back.

9. F1Yankee (@f1yankee) said on 14th October 2011, 0:49

man, more senseless beating up on massa. alonso can’t say anything without inviting a flood of slams. it’s got to the point where brundle is hammering him during the show. if it’s so bad for him, why doesn’t he quit? why would 99% of drivers kill to be a ferrari grand prix driver?

what people should be critical of is massa’s lack of speed, not the role he plays in the team, and not the way the team is run – which happens to be the smart way and with very few and sporadic exceptions, the way every team has always been.