“Everything on schedule” in Austin, says Tilke

F1 Fanatic round-up

In the round-up: Circuit designer Hermann Tilke says press is being made at the Circuit of the Americas.

Links

Top F1 links from the past 24 hours:

Hermann Tilke says construction of Austin circuit is on schedule (Autosport)

“We are working on it. There are a couple of hundred workers on the site, a lot of machines, and everything is on schedule up to now.”

Maya Inc worked for F1; now use the clout to build hospitals (FirstPost)

“Whereas the Commonwealth Games were organised by a vast army of politicians, bureaucrats and sports officials, Formula One was driven by a small team of management professionals.”

Martin Brundle

“As F1 commentator I’m so pleased Virgin are changing name next year, I have a mental red alert every time I mention their car in close action.”

Step Inside the Circuit India: Join Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button’s Indian adventure (YouTube)

Don Foster meets with BBC over F1 (Bath Liberal Democrats)

Quoting a letter from the BBC: “It is our understanding that other broadcasters had the opportunity to put forward their own proposals to Formula One Management (‘FOM’). However, as we explained, the decision to award the broadcast rights rested solely with FOM.”

Formula One Fantasy – HRT?s Daniel Ricciardo (F1)

“Q: What current Formula One regulation would you most like to change and why?
DR: I?d like to give my car a bit more horsepower! (laughs) Honestly I think we?re in a good era at the moment and the racing?s been exciting so I wouldn’t change much. I would like to see the field closer together though. That’s one thing which would make even better racing.”

Follow F1 news as it breaks using the F1 Fanatic live Twitter app.

Comment of the day

It’s fair to say there hasn’t been many positive comments anticipating next week’s race so far, such as this from PJ:

The 2011 regulations didn?t make Valencia exciting, and I doubt they?ll liven up this place either.
PJ

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Adam Dennehey, Amadis, and one other person…

On this day in F1

On this day in 2008 the FIA announced it would improved stewarding in F1 by supplying more information about penalties given in races:

In a significant change the FIA will ensure all video evidence relating to controversial moments is made available to the public via its and FOM?s websites.

Three years later and, with one exception, it’s hard to think of many occasions where they’ve carried this out.

63 comments on “Everything on schedule” in Austin, says Tilke

1. PJ (@pjtierney) said on 5th November 2011, 0:05

Ooh COTD, wasn’t expecting that, cheers :)

2. Ratboy (@ratboy) said on 5th November 2011, 0:13

Happy Birthday Adam Dennehey, Amadis and of course that unknown other person.

3. Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 5th November 2011, 0:15

I’d just like to take this opportunity to help publicise the fact that I am taking registrations for this season of the Collantine Cup F1 2011 PS3 series.

Some of you may be familiar with the Championship I ran for PS3 owners over the off-season last year. It was a great success and we are all very keen to do it again for this off season coming using F1 2011. However, thanks to the 16 player grids and the fact that we’ve had a couple of people drop out, we’ve got quite a few places on the grid to fill. It’s a casual, laid-back series which is designed to be a fun way for us to spend the off season without things getting too serious. So if you’re an ultra-competitive type, this series probably isn’t for you.

There will be 8 rounds held on Sunday mornings UK time with the planned schedule available here.

If you’re interested in joining, you can register your interest here. I’ll be accepting registrations until Midnight on Sunday, so this is the last time I’ll make any mention of it. After registrations close, the current drivers will vote for the people they most want to join and the members with the most votes will be offered a place in the series.

If you’re keen to join in, please feel welcome to register. We’d love to get a grid full of Fanatics to help make this off-season even more fun than the last!

4. Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 5th November 2011, 0:17

Happy Birthday :-P

5. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 5th November 2011, 0:38

I’m disappointed we never got a risque slip of the tongue – “And Kovalainen takes the Virgin from behind!”

6. Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 5th November 2011, 0:56

Hang on, it’s Keith’s birthday?!
    Well you know what this means don’t you…?

For many years now,
    From his lounge, not his attic.
    Keith Collantine
    Has run F1Fanatic.

It started out simply,
    As just one man’s dream.
    But became the best website,
    Our sport’s ever seen.

There’ve been a few changes,
    Made throughout the ages.
    To the site’s userface,
    And the layout of pages.

From daily news Round-Ups,
    And Comments of the Day.
    To his superb reporting,
    Our Keith earns his pay.

He’s been on the telly,
    For Sky and the Beeb.
    To talk about Massa,
    And TV rights thieves.

Don’t mention team orders,
    He’s a true racing man.
    But he isn’t exactly,
    A DRS fan.

His vast wealth of knowledge,
    Makes others look dim.
    That’s why I named my,
    Online Cup after him.

To Keith I’m indebted,
    ‘Cause it’s clear to see.
    That this site and its users,
    Mean so much to me.

So I know in my heart,
    That I speak for the rest.
    When I say ‘Happy Birthday’!
    Keith’s simply the best.

7. celeste (@celeste) said on 5th November 2011, 1:16

Happy Birthday :)

8. Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 5th November 2011, 1:51

This weekend: FIA GT + TC2000 (with 2 rounds to go and the championship wide open!) at Potrero de los Funes!

Don’t miss it!

9. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 5th November 2011, 2:51

Nico Rosberg set to replace Felipe Massa at Ferrari,seems like this rumor is a very strong one. Given the the fact the WC may be over but all this things are there.

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 5th November 2011, 3:16

Uhm, I don’t buy it. It’d not be a great move for Rosberg anyway… you know, it’s Alonso’s territory.

• wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 5th November 2011, 11:41

@Fer no.65 May be not as with Schumacher he doesn’t seem he cared,he will be one of those driver who won’t care what happens on the other side of the garage & secondly we still haven’t seen Nico in a good machine so we are still not sure that how much potential he have ( though I believe he is as good as Hamilton) but of me he will be better then Massa.

10. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 5th November 2011, 2:57

“Everything on schedule” in Austin, says Tilke

I think people are a little too quick to latch onto claims that anything related to Formula 1 in the United States is doomed to being an inglorious failure. And I’d say that most of this stems from the USF1 debacle, which is really rather unfair because USF1 was not actually run by any Americans.

11. Jarred Walmsley (@jarred-walmsley) said on 5th November 2011, 5:58

Happy Birthday Keith!!

12. Hatebreeder (@hatebreeder) said on 5th November 2011, 6:58

why does Red Bull drive on every track that’s being constructed?

13. handcart (@handcart) said on 5th November 2011, 8:36

Happy Birthday Keith! And to Adam Dennehey and Amandis!

Keith you run a great site, do brilliant work and have a fine set of fellow fanatics – a special ‘hats off’ to @Magnificent-Geoffrey

I hope you enjoy a good day today. Look up tonight and when the sky is lit with fireworks, count them to represent our greetings!

14. Copersucar (@copersucar) said on 5th November 2011, 9:03

have an immoderately happy birthday Keith!!

15. Nixon (@nixon) said on 5th November 2011, 9:38