Massa must “prove himself” – Montezemolo

F1 Fanatic round-up

In the round-up: Luca di Montezemolo warns Felipe Massa to raise his game.

Links

Top F1 links from the past 24 hours:

Montezemolo warns Felipe “You have to prove yourself” (La Gazzetta dello Sport)

“Let’s hope he can finish the season with a good result in Brazil, we expect great things from him in 2012 and then we’ll decide how to proceed. Let’s say he’ll have to prove himself next season.”

Brazilian Grand Prix – Massa?s Ferrari Century (Ferrari)

Ferrari have counted right this time – it is Felipe Massa’s 100th start for them this weekend.

F1 Fanatic via Twitter

“On Friday Luiz Razia will drive in place of Jarno Trulli in the first practice session for Lotus.”

Wickens pushing for 2012 Formula 1 race seat (GP Update)

“My goal is to get a race seat in any Formula 1 team. I feel like I?m ready, I?m 22 and there are now a lot of drivers on the grid who I have actually competed against. So I see no reason why I shouldn?t be able to join them there.”

A good sign from Bahrain (Joe Saward)

“This is all well and good but it is still not clear whether a Grand Prix is a good idea as it could still act as a target for protest, which would not help Bahrain and would certainly not help F1.”

“The government’s conciliatory tone in advance suggests authorities in the island kingdom believe it could cast a harsh light on the tactics used against demonstrators and already noted in rights groups allegations: widespread arrests, purges from workplaces and universities, destruction of Shiite mosques and jail house abuses.”

BBC Tees interview with Rob Smedley (YouTube)

No fear for Jenson Button (Sporting Life)

“We have more security this year. I think every driver you see will have a police escort, and they should do.”

Gianluca Pisanello via Twitter

“Passport, FIA pass, computer. Everything ready for Brazil. Now only missing a bulletproof vest for the trips to the circuit…”

The Monaco Grand Prix opener (BBC)

“Watch the introduction to the 2011 Monaco GP which has won the Royal Television Society’s prize for Programme Content Sequences.”

Ann Bradshaw via Twitter

“Sad news that Sheridan Thynne died at the weekend. A gentleman and a one-off. Such fun to work with at Williams. Thinking of his wife Eve.”

Matt Cox (McLaren) via Twitter

“Going to visit Ayrton Senna’s grave on Monday to pay our respects.”

Follow F1 news as it breaks using the F1 Fanatic live Twitter app.

Comment of the day

Tilkedromes and DRS passes: the future of F1? This from GeeMac:

So the highest proportion of DRS-assisted passes were seen at Abu Dhabi (Tilkedrome), Valencia (Tilkedrome), India (Tilkedrome), Turkey (Tilkedrome) and Spain (final sector reworked by Tilke).

Not knocking the dude (I acknowledge that his hands are tied when it comes to designing new tracks), it is just an observation.

GeeMac

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Damonsmedley!

On this day in F1

And happy birthday to Ross Brawn who is 57 today!

62 comments on Massa must “prove himself” – Montezemolo

1. Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 23rd November 2011, 6:28

You don’t mean to tell me that it happens to be @DamonSmedley’s birthday?

How’s about I try something a little different this time?

For Damon, I think a sonnet I’ll send.
    As it’s difficult for me to sum up,
    This young man whom is both my valued friend
    And great rival from the Collantine Cup.
    It’s nine years since Damon became smitten,
    With the majesty of our favourite sport.
    After Jenson, he has named his kitten,
    Proving he is of the Fanatic sort.
    A virtue of kindness runs deep within,
    In Melbourne, I saw this with my own eyes.
    I know we all mean a great deal to him,
    And he is a joy to have in our lives.
    ‘Though I know that this may sound slightly gay,
    We all love you Damon, Happy Birthday!

2. Girts (@girts) said on 23rd November 2011, 7:04

Happy birthday Mr. Smedley! By the way, could I please get the 2008 version of Massa back? :D

Hope you have a wonderful day @damonsmedley

3. Calum (@calum) said on 23rd November 2011, 7:35

I liked that interview with Rob Smedley.

‘Do you want to go to the 88 British GP Rob?’
    ‘No not really…’

:P

4. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 23rd November 2011, 7:57

I agree with LdM on this one. 2010 was forgivable, but apart from his handbags with Hamilton this year he’s been largely quiet.

5. BasCB (@bascb) said on 23rd November 2011, 7:59

Just when we are talking about the gimmick of DRS being something out of Mario Kart, look what we have here!

6. Dan Thorn (@dan-thorn) said on 23rd November 2011, 8:34

Ugh, I’ve no idea how the BBC won an award for that. My first thought upon seeing it was “This is silly. What’s the point?” It’s very Top Gear-esque – i.e silly, embarassing and a bit cocky and arrogant.

It’s overproduced and unnecessary features like that which I think are the reason the BBC don’t feel they can afford to keep the contract to Formula 1. I have no experience of Sky’s production of sporting events, but I’m actually looking forward to it next year now in the hope it’s a bit more down to earth, rather than pandering to the lowest common denominator, which is what I feel the BBC have been doing (this year in particular).

• Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 23rd November 2011, 8:52

Completely agree, @Dan-Thorn. It stupid and pointless for the BBC to try and do anything remotely interesting like that intro.

Who cares if that intro was superbly produced, expertly edited and drew a spectacular visual parallel between the unpredictable chaos of the casino culture Monte-Carlo is so famous for and the clinical, scientific controlled world of Formula 1? We don’t want to the BBC’s coverage to be entertaining do we? It would’ve been a lot better if the show had simply opened with Jake Humphrey staring at the camera saying “hello. We are at Monaco.”

Hopefully, Sky won’t bother with making any of their own quirky, interesting, well-made and fun intros like this that help to excite both the hardcore and the casual fan base for their coverage next year. In fact, Sky shouldn ‘t bother with a pre-race show or with anything that even attempts to be remotely entertaining at all. They should just show the race and leave it at that. Nice and dull. That’s what we all really want, isn’t that right guys?

• Dan Thorn (@dan-thorn) said on 23rd November 2011, 9:15

Perhaps my first sentence was a little over the top – it is very well made, but that doesn’t mean I have to like it. A pre race show should be entertaining, but it can be done in a far less ostentatious way.

I’m as angry as anyone that I’ll have to pay to watch Formula One next year, and I personally feel that features like this are partly the reason why. I have been entertained by some of their VTs, but I wouldn’t miss them if they were gone. The on screen chemistry between the presenters provides the real entertainment (for me, anyway) and they don’t need to do all these flashy things…

• Huron (@huron) said on 23rd November 2011, 11:12

It was perfectly possible for the BBC to do an intro that wasn’t absurdly cheesy and cringe worthy. All it did was make fans press mute until Jake went away.

7. RBAlonso (@rbalonso) said on 23rd November 2011, 11:02

Massa has had ‘time to prove himself’. Whilst there is no obvious candidate to replace him at the minute, I think Ferrari should take a risk and employ a young gun. Look at kimi and alonso they both only had one full season before being but in top cars/teams. even JB had a fair crack at it and obviously hamilton. My point is that only Webber can claim to making his way up through the ranks so to speak. Felipe had his chance in a top seat and has wasted it since his accident. 137 points is a lot.

8. wrong link on “Bahrain on edge before report on protest crackdown (Associated Press via Google News) “

9. sid_prasher (@) said on 23rd November 2011, 18:48

Belated birthday wishes @Damonsmedley.

Ferrari obviously cannot win the constructor’s title without both their drivers scoring heavily – so if the car is decent and Massa is not on the podium next year, I think it will be a fair call to drop him :(

10. You know the DRS is not a new system, the 1sec rule is however.
    In the mid/late 60′s some cars had adjustable front and rear wings. Actually in 69 Jackie Stewart won the WDC in a Matra-Ford with “DRS”, and I think in that year McLaren-Ford & Brabham were using it too.