Vote for the best F1 driver of 2011

2011 F1 season review

Drivers, Melbourne, 2011

Drivers, Melbourne, 2011

Who was the best F1 driver of 2011?

You’ve seen F1 Fanatic’s pick of the best drivers of the year, now it’s your turn.

Cast your vote for the driver who impressed you the most in 2011 and have your say in the comments:

Who was the best F1 driver of 2011?

• Sebastian Vettel (44%)
  • Mark Webber (1%)
  • Lewis Hamilton (4%)
  • Jenson Button (28%)
  • Fernando Alonso (16%)
  • Felipe Massa (0%)
  • Michael Schumacher (1%)
  • Nico Rosberg (1%)
  • Bruno Senna (0%)
  • Vitaly Petrov (0%)
  • Rubens Barrichello (0%)
  • Pastor Maldonado (0%)
  • Vitantonio Liuzzi (0%)
  • Timo Glock (0%)
  • Jerome d'Ambrosio (0%)
  • Nick Heidfeld (0%)
  • Pedro de la Rosa (0%)
  • Karun Chandhok (0%)
  • Narain Karthikeyan (0%)

Total Voters: 569

Loading ... Loading ...

We’re also looking for your views on the best pass of 2011 and the best overtaker of the year. Cast your vote in those polls here:

2011 F1 season review

Browse all 2011 F1 season review articles

131 comments on Vote for the best F1 driver of 2011

1. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 16th December 2011, 14:14

Sebastian Vettel for me, but I also think Button & Webber for some fantastic racing deserve the second & third spot for me.

2. The Last Pope (@the-last-pope) said on 16th December 2011, 14:21

This is such a difficult thing to gauge. I voted Button because he was the only one of the best 3 (Vettel, Alonso and Button) to have beaten a very equal team mate. Vettel had by far the best car and was unchallenged almost the whole season because Webber couldn’t get the tyres to work for him, and Massa was a pawn for Alonso so it is hard to tell how quick the Ferrari would be in someone elses equal hands.

Its a really close thing though.

• Mike (@mike) said on 17th December 2011, 5:22

Vettel had by far the best car

He had the best car. But several times during the year the Mclaren drivers made mistakes giving pole to Vettel, Even though they had the pace. And the Mclaren was strong in most races, especially as the fuel came down.

I think Vettel is being under appreciated to be honest.

I’m not really a fan. But I think he worked a lot harder than people give him credit for.

If Vettel and been as inconsistent as the Mclaren drivers, we’d all be saying how great Button and Hamilton were to beat him.

They for the most part did good jobs as well. But Vettel was close to flawless.

• Gagnon (@johnniewalker) said on 17th December 2011, 17:14

it is hard to tell how quick the Ferrari would be in someone elses equal hands.

If my mind is right, Massa was faster then kimi in 2008, and when he got his accident in 2009, he had more points than him. So im not sure another teammate versus alonso could beat him. Massa is not that worst……. stop bashing him he did some good performance in the past, I hope next year hes back at 100%.

3. slowhand (@slowhand) said on 16th December 2011, 14:48

Kovalainen – he did so much with so little. Sometimes points don’t tell the full story.

4. A shame that we cannot vote 25-18…-1 cause voting for the best driver has just an answer or two, but we are interrested about how people place the second, the third…
    but the blog is already incredibly great…

5. JamieFranklinF1 (@jamiefranklinf1) said on 16th December 2011, 15:13

Jenson Button and Fernando Alonso obviously deserve a mention here, but it can’t be anything less than Sebastian Vettel as the top driver of 2011. He was sensational.

6. EternalRookie said on 16th December 2011, 15:15

I’m not sure that Seb Vettel was better than Nico Rosberg or Nano Alonso. All three got 100% from their car (and Kovalainen wasn’t far behind in that respect). Of course the Vettel/RB7 combo was miles ahead of the rest, but we are trying to subjectively deduct the car factor.
    But for me the driver of the season was Felipe Massa, the one who did the most to keep the loathsome one at bay.

7. antonyob (@) said on 16th December 2011, 15:30

hahaha Massa!!! that is funny, thankyou, best laugh of the day.

btw- 2 things, its not a personality contest and you didnt actually vote.

8. This is the problem with polls like this, people simply vote for their favourite. Vettel should win by an absolute landslide after the season he’s just had but as I vote he’s only 25 votes in front of Button.

9. james gardner said on 16th December 2011, 16:09

Narain Karthikeyan (1 Votes)

DId his mum vote?

10. antonyob (@) said on 16th December 2011, 16:14

or worse, they vote for a driver who stopped a driver they didnt like! its like saying Basle are the best football team cos they stopped man utd from qualifying for the champs league.

11. Vettel of course. Red Bull gave him the fastest car, and unlike 2010, he really did take advantage of having the fastest car this year.

12. Has to be Vettel for me.

The Red Bull may have been the best car but Vettel has just put in an amazing year which no one else came close to.

13. Couldn’t note vote for Vettel. Though about Heikki and Button but couldn’t reason voting for them instead of Vettel when I only had one vote.

14. Butch27 (@butch27) said on 16th December 2011, 17:27

I voted for Vettel but Button still impressed me!

15. Dan_the_McLaren_fan (@dan_the_mclaren_fan) said on 16th December 2011, 17:28

I just couldn’t decide between Button, Alonso and Vettel.

All 3 of them did an excellent season. They’ve extracted the maximum of their cars, they’ve beaten their teammates quite often during the races, they might have done a couple of mistakes, but none really serious. They also managed to win races while the odds were against them (like Button in Canada, Alonso in Silverstone, Vettel in Monza). They really are the 3 top drivers of the season.

As I couldn’t choose between them, I decided to make a choice a bit irrational : I voted Nico Rosberg. I’m sure Alonso, Vettel and Button will have a lot of votes, while Rosberg did also a strong season, but didn’t have as much coverage as he deserved.

16. Agree#+

17. Gotta love the trolls that voted for Chandhok and Karthikeyan! No, wait…

18. Adam1 (@adam1) said on 16th December 2011, 18:34

While its very easy to say that Vettel had the best car out there, its about car AND driver…if you put my gran in a red bull could she win the drivers world championship?! NO!
    Webber has had the same equiptment and been completely dominated as well. The only explaination is a truly sublime season by a promising young driver. He made several big mistakes (mostly in overtaking) last year, but has learnt from them and had a flawless year this year. His only mistakes this year have only affected him!
    Best overtake of the year in my opinion against Alonso on the grass at Curva Grande!

• Thecollaroyboys (@thecollaroyboys) said on 17th December 2011, 20:34

Correct. I’ve got a very similar guitar to Jimmy Page – do I sound remotely like him? No chance.

• Null-A said on 3rd April 2012, 19:15

While I agree with you that with the same guitar you would not sound nearly as good as Jimmy Page, I dont see why that invalidates that if Jimmy Page would try to play guitar with a broken guitar it would sound bad no matter how good Jimy Page is. So this whole argument is faulty logic. Vettel had the best car and it influence the outcome, to could measure the quality of the driver you have to make comparisons between drivers with the same tools, and Alonso has been the one that has manage to excel more with the faulty tool he had.

19. Easy. Vettel. He’s the only one where there is no reason to explain the vote and that’s why I voted for him

20. Younger Hamii (@younger-hamii) said on 16th December 2011, 22:01

Vettel – Combined Red Bull’s dominant aerodynamic package with his brilliance in Qualifying;Pulled it out of the bag when he needed to 99% of the time to fend off challenges from McLaren,Webber & Alonso.You wouldnt certainly be able to touch him with a great strategy behind him,Dry race & himself in his common position from the start; Pole Position!!!