Senna wins two BAFTA awards

F1 Fanatic round-up

Ayrton Senna, Toleman, 1984

Ayrton Senna, Toleman, 1984

In the round-up: Senna wins BAFTA awards for Best Documentary and Editing.

Links

BAFTA Film Awards Winners and Nominations in 2012 (BAFTA)

Senna won two BAFTAs and was nominated in the Outstanding British Film category. Read F1 Fanatic’s nine-part series on The Making of Senna here:

Webber again plays down retirement talk (ESPN)

“I’ve been through enough on and off the track to know that nothing is forever. I was supposed to be replaced by Kimi [Raikkonen] four years ago.”

Kobayashi ‘happy’ with start (Sky)

“If I look at the whole picture I am happy with the first test. For sure we have found the right direction to go in.”

Sale rumours hit morale at Lotus (FT, registration required)

“Lotus Cars and its Malaysian owner Proton have dismissed speculation that the glamorous, but long-underperforming, UK sports car brand is about to change hands.”

The uncertain future of the Nurburgring (Autosport, subscription required)

“One scenario has both parties signing provisional contracts; another has each cutting their own deal with Ecclestone ?ǣ financial suicide that would be, as anyone who has negotiated with Ecclestone can attest, but where desperate folk are involved all rational thinking goes out the window ?ǣ but one thing is certain: Hockenheim will not shoulder the burden, and plans to stick resolutely to its (already loss-making) contract.”

Follow F1 news as it breaks using the F1 Fanatic live Twitter app.

Comment of the day

As one F1 film scoops a pair of awards, Steve Lambert’s been to see where the next one is being filmed:

Just returned from the part built pits set at Blackbush, Hampshire. I was luckily able to see Hunt and Lauda race at Kyalami in ’76! Needless to say, can’t wait to see a film about these two heroes.
Steve Lambert

From the forum

Lots of people were planning race trips last weekend – join in the discussion here:

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to geo132, Jason, Sebastien Carter, shyguy2008 and Sparky!

On this day in F1

Toro Rosso revealed their second F1 car – the STR2 – on this day in 2007.

Vitantonio Liuzzi and Scott Speed started the season as the team’s drivers. But by the end of the year Speed was out and Sebastian Vettel was in.

65 comments on Senna wins two BAFTA awards

1. sam3110 (@sam3110) said on 13th February 2012, 0:07

I used to love the red bull on the Toro Rosso covering the whole back end of the car, but looking back the graphic stretching over the sidepods as well as the engine cover looks weird compared to what they do now.

Glad that Senna is getting the recognition it deserves, I haven’t been able to see it yet but will one day

2. matt90 (@matt90) said on 13th February 2012, 0:09

There was a rumour that after a single year at Ferrari, in which he won the championship, Raikkonen would move to a team as weak as Red Bull (admittedly with the knowledge that Newey would turn the team around soon)?

Does he mean 2 years, rather than 4?

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 13th February 2012, 0:15

I don’t think there’s ever been anything to the rumours. It’s jsut Raikkonen fans assuming he will join Red Bull and creating extensive theories about how it will happen.

• Aditya (@) said on 13th February 2012, 5:43

And once again its Jason(a.k.a Prisoner Monkeys) who does not waste a moment in lambasting Kimi and his fans. Nice round-up though.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 13th February 2012, 6:19

Which team is Kimi Raikkonen driving for? I think it’s called ‘Lotus’? I forget: are they the same team as Red Bull? No? Well, then, obviously the rumours that Raikkonen was going to join Red Bull never came to anything.

And I defy you to explain the “Raikkonen is going to Red Bull, because when he joined the WRC, he drove a Citroen and Citroen is a French manufacturer; Renault is also a French manufacturer, and they supply engines to Red Bull, so Red Bull sponsored the Citroen Junior Team so that they could take Raikkonen in 2011″ rumours as being anything other than an unnecessarily-elaborate fan fantasy.

• JCost (@jcost) said on 13th February 2012, 8:34

I think I’ll replace Webber in 2013. I’m a “Mario Kart” master and I was used to date a French girl back in 2003 and her mother was a long time worker at a Renault factory in France. Being Renault Red Bull’s engine supplier, I think they have too many reasons to ignore me as the next Vettel’s teammate…

• dennis (@dennis) said on 13th February 2012, 8:50

@jcost
            You probably had them at “Mario Kart” and “French girl” already.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 13th February 2012, 11:36

@Jcost
            You were used to date a French girl? Used by who, and what on earth does that involve? :p

• raymondu999 (@raymondu999) said on 13th February 2012, 8:00

@prisoner-monkeys I think @matt90 is referring to rumors that said that Kimi would move to Red Bull at the start of 2008 (after a year at Ferrari). Not the ones that have been flying around since 2010 about him moving to partner Vettel. I’ve never heard those rumors though.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 13th February 2012, 11:40

Exactly, and I never said there was anything in the rumours, I was just trying to work out why there would have been any rumours for 2008- seems like a silly time for people to think that Kimi would go to Red Bull, so I wondered if Webber meant 2 years ago rather than 4.

• It’s jsut Raikkonen fans assuming he will join Red Bull and creating extensive theories about how it will happen.

@prisoner-monkeys Yes, and back in 2010 at least one of those fans went to the Netherlands, put on a Helmut Marko costume, and said things like this:

“He (Raikkonen) has a contract with Red Bull, let’s wait and see how this develops,” Austrian Marko is quoted as saying by the Dutch website formule1.nl.

“We have a large Red Bull family so there are many options,” he added. “We will have to see how he goes in rallying and what he wants to do.

“But the idea is at least interesting,” added Marko.

I’m not saying there has ever really been anything to these rumors, but they seem to originate with the media, not with fans.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 13th February 2012, 12:30

It’s fairly obvious that Marko was simply answering a question about the possibilities of Raikkonen joining the team – and trying to be as diplomatic and open-ended about it as possible so as to avoid committing the team one way or another. Since nothing came of this rumour, there clearly wasn’t much substance to it to begin with.

• Yes, as I said, I was not claiming there was any substance to them. My point was just that the rumors have not been results of the feverish imaginations of Raikkonen fans; we read about them in the media like everyone else!

• I believe we are taking 4 years too literally. Rumours about Kimi to Red Bull started sometime in late 2009 once we knew he would be replaced by Alonso in Ferrari ..so that would be around 2.5 years. Now while just giving a quick reply to a journalist webber is not going to say he has heard rumours for 2.5 years right ? So assuming instead of rounding off to 3 years he just exaggerated to 4 years to make it sound as though people have been talking about his retirement for too long !!

3. matt90 (@matt90) said on 13th February 2012, 0:12

Also, no way! I can’t believe they’re actually using my local airfield to shoot part of the F1 film. I thought it was only rumoured a couple of weeks ago and had to get past some environmentalists first.

4. i live in basingstoke 15min motorbike ride from blackbush, i had no idea this was happening :(

damn it!

5. Carlitox (@carlitox) said on 13th February 2012, 0:13

Congratulations to everybody who made the film. Almost cried in the part about Brazil 1991. That was a real hero, that was real racing, that was Formula 1.

6. sdtaylor91 (@sdtaylor91) said on 13th February 2012, 0:14

So glad to see Senna properly appreciated, it really is an amazing documentary on an incredibly talented and interesting person.

When they cover his funeral and cut from people’s faces there to footage of a special moment they spent with Ayrton, its just such a powerful scene. Everyone should watch it.

7. ScuderiaVincero (@scuderiavincero) said on 13th February 2012, 0:17

Brilliant news :) I’ll be honest, had they failed to give it any nomination, I would have completely disregarded the BAFTA awards. Call it fanaticism, but that’s me.

8. UKFan (@) said on 13th February 2012, 0:40

Personally I thought hat the film could have been even better.

• GeeMac (@geemac) said on 13th February 2012, 6:24

Agreed. Pandey told the story we all know, but I suppose that’s the story you have to tell for people who are new to the sport. My friends who have seen it who know nothing about F1 were amazed by the film, the man and the story, so I guess he told it well (even if it had a healthy degree of bias, and that is coming from a Senna fan!).

When I was going through Keith’s “Making of Senna” articles again I couldn’t help thinking “They could have made a better film with all the stuff he said he had to leave out!”

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 13th February 2012, 7:49

Again showing how much of an abomination it is, that Bernie does not allow more of that footage being used for documantaries and movies!

• GeeMac (@geemac) said on 13th February 2012, 8:24

I know. I don’t see why he has to keep all the footage locked up, surely he could allow people to distribute it to us mere mortals and charge them a fee for doing so. Everyone wins that way: Film makers get to make films (and some cash), Bernie gets to make (more) cash and we get films with F1 cars in them!

• SempreGilles (@sempregilles) said on 13th February 2012, 8:32

I think the target audience for that is too little. The average joe F1 fan doesn’t really care about the history of F1, only about the current championship. And we fanatics only make up a relatively small number.
            That said, I’d love a sort of netflix where i can watch old F1 races and other F1 related footage. What a shame it’s all locked up somewhere…

• GeeMac (@geemac) said on 13th February 2012, 14:10

I think I know where you are going, but there is still a (potentially lucrative) market for that sort of material. There are niche markets for a lot of odd products with a lot less devoted followers than the likes of us!

9. Zadak (@thezadak) said on 13th February 2012, 1:20

Events are thin this time of year.
    really scraping the barrel with the “On this day” bit

10. TheBrav3 said on 13th February 2012, 2:06

Bit disturbing in times like these that a man who could probably be declared medically retarded on the basis of his business plans can get 300 million dollars out of the malaysian government and waz it all away right infront of them. If i was malaysian i’d want some literal heads.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 13th February 2012, 2:25

Yeah, you don’t understand how business works, do you? dany Bahar didn’t just go to the Malaysian government and say “cheque, please, and make it out to cash”. He actually had to demonstrate that his plan was feasible to begin with in order to convince them to make the funds available.

• TheBrav3 said on 13th February 2012, 3:31

monkeys monkeys monkeys last time i’ll ever say it to you read my post before you come in with a half baked jab at me.

“a man who could probably be declared medically retarded on the basis of his business plans”

Seriously this was about half the content of my comment how selective is your eyesight?

I know what his business plan was and it was herladed as universally stupid the day he announced it in much the same way as i will herald your above comment. It required selling about 100x more cars a year than they currently do and bringing out several brand new cars needing designing crafting marketing and with any luck shipping whilst funding an f1 team as title sponsor.

Now back under the bridge with you least I loose the villagers with flaming torches.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 13th February 2012, 4:24

Not at all. Decause despite your declaration that Bahar “could probably be declared medically retarded on the basis of his business plans”, you have committed one fairly large oversight. And you managed to do it in your very next sentence: “can get 300 million dollars out of the malaysian government”. So despite your alarmingly-insensitive comments, you have missed the fact that Bahar got the money, even though you believe that any dolt with half a brain could see that his plans are really quite insane. If it was really so brazenly obvious that his plans were the equivalent of playing Russian roulette with a semi-automatic, how did he get that money at all? Thus, I come back to my original point: you have no idea what you’re talking about because of this massive contradiction in your argument.

I love it when people argue ad hominem, largely because it is a logical fallacy in itself. You have chosen to argue that my post is invalidated because of negative characteristics that I display as a person – but in making that argument, you have managed to display those same negative characteristics that you claim invalidate my post, and therefore, your post is invalidated. Somehow, despite the scale of your earlier contradiction, you have managed to go ahead and create an even bigger paradox. At this rate, you’re going to cause the blog to implode some time before lunch.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 13th February 2012, 7:53

That one is easy, really @prisoner-monkeys, its pride (not wanting to admit their failure with Lotus) and playing with other people’s money.

After all its not the guys that agreed with the loans, nor the banks providing them that will end up paying for them. It’s the Malaysian people’s money being thrown out of the window.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 13th February 2012, 8:10

That one is easy, really, its pride (not wanting to admit their failure with Lotus) and playing with other people’s money.

I think you’ll find that the point of Bahar’s strategy is to establish the Lotus name in motorsports, and then re-launch the marque with a whole host of new models and using the motorsport connection to sell them. And I think the only reason why people think it’s a poor idea is because of the row over the use of the Lotus name last year.

• If it was really so brazenly obvious that his plans were the equivalent of playing Russian roulette with a semi-automatic, how did he get that money at all?

I believe you answered your own question: He got it from the government. If I had a dollar for every million given by a corrupt and/or careless government somewhere in the world for an obviously stupid idea, I would be wading through money shoulder high in my apartment.

I see nothing in the original post indicating lack of understanding of business.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 13th February 2012, 8:57

But how do you know Plan Bahar won’t work? I’ve seen so many people say “it’s a bad idea”, but none of them give a reason why. How do you know that it’s a bad idea? Have you seen their actual business plan? Do you understand it? What could Bahar do differently in order to protect his company?

corrupt and/or careless government

According to the Corruption Perception Index, Malaysia is rated 60th in the world for corruption. It is rated fifth-best in the South-East Asia region (behind Singapore, Hong Kong Bhutan and Brunei); compare that China (75th), Thailand (80th), Indonesia (100th), Vietnam (112th), the Philippines (129th), Laos (154th), Cambodia (164th) and Myanmar (180th). So Malyasia certainly isn’t a perfect country, but I would not say that they are as corrupt or as careless as you are making them out to be. In fact, I would say that you are making them out to be corrupt and careless simply because they approved Plan Bahar, but again, how can you prove that this plan is destined to fail?

• dennis (@dennis) said on 13th February 2012, 9:01

@prisoner-monkeys

The whole Lotus-Lotus-Caterham-Renault childplay aside, what Baher tries to do is make Lotus into a more luxury-centric brand, with cars being heavier and better equipped further going away from the motorsport roots.

The one thing that sold Lotus vehicles was their niche market approach of building lightweight-fun cars, that are not kit-cars made in sheds with semi-reliable mass-market drivetrains.

With the new Elise and Esprit concept he directly aims at the competition of the likes of the Porsche Boxster in price and spec. And that is, to say the least, bold. He mentioned this several times himself… He’s not a car guy. I’m convinced, that in the long term, making Lotus into something it has never been and never wanted to be is bound to fail.

It’s like Porsche stopping the 911 in favour of the Cayenne and Panamera entirely, then claim motorsport connections to their LMP program.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 13th February 2012, 9:47

@prisoner-monkeys, in answering me you write

and in your later post you add

that is just nonsense, and you should know it.

First of all, Lotus already has a name Motorsports, is did not need to be established. And if one wants to establish oneself in racing, it makes a lot more sense to focus instead of throwing money at just about every motorsport event there is.

As for Bahar’s plans to take Lotus away from the niche it’s been in for 40 years now and take on the likes of Ferrari and Porsche with a range of new, sophisticated and up market models, where to start.
            These plans require a lot of investment in development of the cars themselves. Then to atcually produce the numbers of cars needed to earn money from it, Lotus has to 5-fold its production only to not to lose money. This is both capital intensive, and hard to achieve in the short term.
            Not to mention that it will need to actually sell those cars not to people who have been buyin Lotus for years but to a new customers, in direct competition with companies like Porsche and Ferrari, who do not even need much Marketing to sell their cars any more. A tough job to say the least, when one considers that Lotus has not had an easy time selling 2000 odd cars/year lately.

And a lot of the critique was also because the cars Bahar presented were very far off the long standing tradition of Lotus cars being light and having superb handling. Something that got a lot of Lotus cars fans upset.

• In fact, I would say that you are making them out to be corrupt and careless simply because they approved Plan Bahar

Well, you could, but you would be wrong.

Actually, I base my assesment of Malaysia on the fact that my own country is comparable (a tiny bit better) in the said Corruption Index and just last year we have lost estimated 2×10^9 (billion) dollars of public funds through corruption. The 300mil$ mentioned in Malaysia is not significantly different from various “business” cases in our country that surface regularly and peter out, with no-one paying for mismanagement of public funds.

I have seen government officials in action in half a dozen countries, ranging from those near the top of the “corruption list” to “midfield runners”, and I learned that by not expecting much of governments I get rarely disappointed.

• Aditya (@) said on 13th February 2012, 5:44

11. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 13th February 2012, 5:26

geo132, Jason, Sebastien Carter, shyguy2008 and Sparky SO many birthday,Happy Birthday to all, a special wish to my best mate @geo132.Enjoy the time today.

12. Bertie said on 13th February 2012, 7:25

Does anyone here have an idea of roughly how much they improve the cars from the first test to the first race in terms of seconds?

• verstappen (@verstappen) said on 13th February 2012, 8:45

Seconds is a lot. However, I think Mclaren gained 1,5 second last year. But they made an exceptionally costly mistake with their exhaust design.
      Unfortunately, I don’t remember @Bertie how I know this. Was it speculation from informed journalists, like James Allen? Quotes from other teams? Or quotes from Mclaren and if so were those given during testing or afterwards?
      Maybe Ferrari can do the same this year?

13. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 13th February 2012, 7:41

Two deserved BAFTA’s for Senna. Perhaps I’m a little bias but it is a thoroughly good film. I ought to stick the DVD on one night this week in celebration.

14. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 13th February 2012, 8:12

To everyone wishing me a happy birthday, it’s a different Jason.

15. Chalky (@chalky) said on 13th February 2012, 8:20

I lent my Dad the Senna DVD and he watched it over the weekend.
    Funny thing was he didn’t realise it was a 2 disc box and just blindly picked up a disc and popped it in.
    After 15mins he was thinking “I know it’s a documentary but this is a bit boring. Where’s all the footage?”.
    So he walked off for a cuppa and then looked and the box.
    Read “2 Disc”!
    Thought, “Oh!” and tried the other disc and loved it.
    :D
    You got to love parents and technology.