Hamilton: “I should have 50 points, but I don’t”

F1 Fanatic round-up

Lewis Hamilton, McLaren, Sepang, 2012In the round-up: Lewis Hamilton admits he should have scored more points so far this year.

Links

Top F1 links from the past 24 hours:

Lewis Hamilton stresses McLaren positives and knuckles down for China (The Guardian)

“I should have 50 points, but I don’t. Yeah, we would love to have 20 points more, but at least we’ve had consistency and we’re there in the fight.”

No extra security needed for Bahrain – motorsport chief (BBC)

Bahrain Motor Federation president Sheikh Abdullah bin Isa Al Khalifa: “All I can guarantee you is you will be as safe as at any other Grand Prix.”

Written answers to questions (UK Parliament)

Alistair Burt (Parliamentary Under Secretary of State): “This is not a decision for the British Government and we have not made representations to the Federation Internationale de l?Automobile (FIA) regarding a decision on whether to cancel, reschedule or re-locate the Bahraini Grand Prix. Similarly, we have not lobbied any other country to take a position on this matter or to make representation to the FIA. It remains entirely the decision of the FIA on whether to postpone or cancel any race. I have told the Bahraini authorities that if the race does take place, we expect it to do so under the right conditions.”

Formula One to raise $1bn in loan [refinancing] – source (Reuters)

“Formula One’s shareholders include CVC which owns 63.4 percent of the company, Lehman Brothers’ administrators with 15.3 percent, Chief Executive Officer Bernie Ecclestone with 5.3 percent and Ecclestone’s former wife Slavica’s Bambino Holdings with 8.5 percent.”

Statement regarding Formula One finances (F1)

“Formula One Group has launched a process to extend its current financing facilities. This will involve raising $2.27bn of new facilities with maturities in 2017/18, replacing the company?s existing $2.92bn facilities which are due to mature in 2013/14.”

Ferrari cash in on new deal with Ecclestone (The Independent)

“Ferrari are believed to have followed Fernando Alonso’s shock win in Sunday’s Malaysian Grand Prix by concluding a lucrative deal with the Formula One ringmaster Bernie Ecclestone, receiving significantly better payments under a new Concorde Agreement to which the majority of teams are said to have agreed over the race weekend.”

Vettel labelled a Red Bully by backmarker Karthikeyan (The Mirror)

“Some guys when lapping they just try and bully you so much, it?s not fair. They overtake and want you to go off the road and it?s not right.”

Domenicali: “We have to continue to play a counter-attacking game” (Ferrari)

“I well remember that, four years ago, in fact right after a Malaysian Grand Prix, which was won for us by Kimi Raikkonen, Felipe was more or less in the same situation as today. The papers were demanding his immediate replacement and he managed to react in the best way possible, thanks to support from the team, which saw him win two of the next three races.”

Young driver test could be in Britain (Autosport)

“One idea that has received some support is to try and shift the young driver test to take place at Silverstone immediately after the British GP. However not all teams are in favour because of the difficulty of sorting out drivers at that stage of the campaign.”

The beginning of a legend: Ayrton Senna’s breakthrough Formula One car set to sell for ??750,000 (Daily Mail)

Spot the quote from yours truly…

Comment of the day

I hadn’t realise quite how few drivers had matched Alonso’s feat of winning at the same track with three different constructors until Paul Gilbert pointed it out:

Drivers to have won at the same venue for 3+ different teams:

Moss at Monza ?ǣ Maserati (1956), Vanwall (1957), Cooper (1959)
Fangio at Spa ?ǣ Alfa Romeo (1950), Maserati (1954), Mercedes (1955)
Fangio at Buenos Aires ?ǣ Maserati (1954, 1957), Mercedes (1955), Ferrari (1956)
Fangio at Nurburgring ?ǣ Mercedes (1954), Ferrari (1956), Maserati (1957)
Prost at Silverstone ?ǣ Renault (1983), McLaren (1985, 1989), Ferrari (1990), Williams (1993)
Alonso at Kuala Lumpur ?ǣ Renault (2005), McLaren (2007), Ferrari (2012)
Paul Gilbert

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Casanova, LazerFX, Macca and The Genuine Jim!

On this day in F1

Today in 2009 Williams responded to a protest by Red Bull and Ferrari against the double diffusers used by themselves, Toyota and Brawn, with a protest of their own.

Williams complained that Ferrari and Red Bull’s cars also contravened the rules, then later withdrew the protest, making the pointed remark, “Williams recognises the possibility that in this area there could be more than one interpretation of the rules.”

The double diffusers were later ruled legal, then outlawed at the end of 2010.

238 comments on Hamilton: “I should have 50 points, but I don’t”

1. matt90 (@matt90) said on 28th March 2012, 1:38

I’m quite frankly incredulous that the most innocuous comment has been jumped on to mean something completely differently. Fascinating and incredible.

• Guilherme (@guilherme) said on 28th March 2012, 3:26

Great drivers like Hamilton, Vettel, Alonso and Schumacher do tend to polarize opinions, don’t they? There are ‘passionate’ people who will distort every word these drivers say, either to paint them bad or to cover up some of their faults.

• Aussie Fan said on 28th March 2012, 3:27

Its not innocuous, innocuous is “I should have done better”.

He said “I should have 50 points” which totally belittles the other drivers achievements in the first two gp’s of the season.

Small difference in wording but massive difference in meaning.. he knows EXACTLY what he said & why.

I see an (fast becoming) insecure Mclaren driver whom is yet to renew his contract & is trying any trick to re establish the illusion of his dominance within the team, but is choosing bad ways to do so.

• MylesW (@mpw1985) said on 28th March 2012, 4:33

It’s official. Aussie Fan is a hater

• Tom Haxley (@welshtom) said on 28th March 2012, 7:32

@mpw1985 No he’s a Troll. Posting your opinion once or twice is ok. He’s posting the same comment on everything that has the words Lewis Or Hamilton in them..

I have read the same comment about 5 times, this is where some moderators should take a look and cull a few. Debate is debate but not the same debate 5 times on 2 pages…

• caci99 (@caci99) said on 28th March 2012, 12:40

@welshtom I say, let the moderators let him post. Otherwise how would we know he is trolling. At my childhood age I read the fables of La Fontaine, and in this case there is one matching the situation. It ends like this: “no matter how you work, there will always be someone to criticize you about that”

• tigen (@tigen) said on 28th March 2012, 5:49

No, “I should have done better” clearly means you wish dire misfortune upon the drivers who finished in front of you. It’s a completely hateful thing to say and displays an utter depravity of character.

• Brian said on 28th March 2012, 8:27

@tigen

How on earth did you get ‘wishing dire misfortune upon others’ from him saying ‘I should have done better’?

It’s perfectly clear that he felt he should have performed better, with his comments on set up being too aggressive.

I really don’t understand why everyone is kicking off so much about Hambo saying that he should have won both races. It’s obvious he wanted to win, he’s a bloody racing driver.

Also I think your latter comment ‘It’s a completely hateful thing to say and displays an utter depravity of character’ should have been posted about Vettel and Horner, they were just kicking their toys out of the pram and is far worse for the sport than a driver commenting on how he feels he should have done better.

You are a nincompoop

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 28th March 2012, 9:26

At least somebody has a sense of both reality and humour.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 28th March 2012, 6:55

From the context of what Hamilton says, I understand this line to be self critical, rather than belittling the other drivers. He knows he could have done better.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 28th March 2012, 9:30

What I find confusing is that even without context i’d have thought a line like that would be assumed to be self critical, unless it had been in the wake of a stewards penalty for example. I honestly don’t think “I should have 50 points” needs context to sounds like “I should have done better”.

• Jake (@jleigh) said on 28th March 2012, 10:32

I’d say outqualifying and outscoring his team-mate over the first 2 races is quite a good way of doing that!

• Ed Marques (@edmarques) said on 28th March 2012, 3:30

Agree with you. But it’s not fascinating, it’s just ridiculous.

2. montreal95 (@montreal95) said on 28th March 2012, 2:01

Great CoD Paul Gilbert!

My feeling is that the best chance of someone replicating the achievement this year is Kimi at Spa. Second most likely is Alonso at Monza.

Any other suggestions? Perhaps MS in Canada? :)

3. vho (@) said on 28th March 2012, 2:17

I think it’s good to see that Lewis is aiming to be more consistent – I suppose he’s starting to learn from his mistakes last year. It does seem to dull his style of driving but I hope he finds a balance where aggression and consistency meet accordingly. And he’s starting to get a better understanding of his setups – RE: his oversteer setup compared to Alonso and Perez’s. On the other hand we’ve seem a more aggressive approach from Jenson this year – which is not typical, but a refreshing change and will certainly make it a very exciting season for McLaren.

Overall the 2012 season so far has provided some closer racing compared to 2011. It will be interesting to see if Vettel can dispel his critics on whether he has the ability to take wins from starting beyond the first or second row of the grid. I would like to see Kimi get a normal qualifying and a race win under his belt – I think the Lotus is good for it. Good to see Schumi qualifying 3rd but the Mercedes needs to improve race pace so we he can be in the mix with the top runners. I’d like to see at least 1 race win from every WDC this year, so far 2 of 6 ain’t bad for the first 2 races.

• mike 9 said on 29th March 2012, 3:52

very well said and the probability of Lotus, Mercedes and mabe Sauber mixing it up up the front is fantastic

4. beth said on 28th March 2012, 2:31

Remember Lewis it could be worse… Looks like we have another 2010, many drivers in with a chance

5. me262 said on 28th March 2012, 2:52

should is a strong word…should use would…or could

6. The Limit said on 28th March 2012, 3:33

Hamilton’s sense of entitlement stems from being McLaren’s golden boy for many years, much in the same way Sebastien Vettel has been by Red Bull and Helmut Marko. Jenson Button has never had that luxary during his career after being kicked out by Williams and Renault to make way for Montoya and Alonso. He has never had a powerfull ally like Hamilton has had in Ron Dennis or Vettel has with Marko. He has had to carve his own path and realises that these situations are not given to him because of who he is or who he knows, but due to results.
    On the flip side, Hamilton is right. He has dropped alot of points considering the fact that he has started from pole position in both grands prix to date. In both Melbourne and Sepang his race pace was not good enough to threaten the leaders, although in Sepang he was handicapped due to McLaren’s shoddy pitstops. The crumb of comfort is that I still don’t believe that Ferrari are a serious threat to McLaren in ‘normal’ race conditions despite Fernando Alonso’s recent efforts. Fernando moreorless hinted at much after the grands prix in Sepang, he needs the team’s help if he is to fight for the championship. As the title stands, Jenson Button is Hamilton’s main threat and one he still has not got to grips with.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 28th March 2012, 4:35

But did Hamilton not need to dominate everything from karting to F3 and GP2 in order to earn a top seat in F1 from the start, where he was still outstanding?

• David-A (@david-a) said on 28th March 2012, 6:21

My main point being, those “connections” that Vettel and Hamilton may have had, were earned due to results in the first place. That renders the argument about only Button having to earn everything through results is useless.

• sid90 (@sid90) said on 28th March 2012, 10:19

@david-a I agree with you, +1.

• Hydro (@hydrouk) said on 28th March 2012, 10:44

I agree completely, this is always the stance I’ve maintained when people tell me that Hamilton got into McLaren via luck. I’ve not seen much of Vettel before Formula 1, but the stuff I have seen has been very impressive. Both extremely talented drivers and I’d like to post this link to a beautiful battle these guys had in F3 showing amazing defending and attacking.

• The Limit said on 28th March 2012, 13:25

Yes its true that Hamilton had to get results early in his career, but since 1995 he had alot of support from McLaren and Button has never had that. Vettel is the product of Red Bull’s youth academy, one of that organizations biggest successes, Button was never the product of such a system. That is my point!
          Jenson’s path into the sport was different from Vettel and Hamilton in that he never had the support of a big team behind him. When he was dropped by Renault, there were plenty of people who wrote Jenson off and now look at him? He has really had to knuckle down over the years and I respect that, for instance, at the end of 2008 he didn’t have a drive. Some of you are too quick to forget such things!

• MylesW (@mpw1985) said on 28th March 2012, 18:06

I just want to add that I actually think Vettel and Hamilton had it harder than Button in reaching Formula 1. Ask any karter- nobody wants to be the guy who shows up at an event with a brand new kart, a McLaren sponsorship, media attention, etc., because then that person is expected to win. The pressure to perform when you’re part of a driver program is incredibly intense, and both Vettel and Hamilton deserve full marks for managing that pressure and coming out on top. In my opinion, it’s much easier to be a Button type-driver in karting, e.g. someone whose father couldn’t even afford wet weather tires (or so he says), than to be someone who has no excuses for not winning every race.

• me262 said on 28th March 2012, 4:47

amen

7. rantingmrp (@rantingmrp) said on 28th March 2012, 3:52

Surprised Keith would even put out an article headlined like that. Red meat to the Hamilton haters. Just look at the top 3 or So responses. A lot of it is baseless suppositions as well – masquerading as genuine opinion. Has f1fanatic become a Lewis-bashing base?
    Disgusting.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 28th March 2012, 8:45

@rantingmrp There’s nothing wrong with the Guardian article, or how it is presented.

Most people see the comments criticising Hamilton for what they are, a small minority who’ve got it in for him taking his words out of context in an attempt to have a go at him.

Has f1fanatic become a Lewis-bashing base?

Of course not: I’ve not got anything against him and at the last count he’s the second most popular driver on here.

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 28th March 2012, 14:14

Keith is very good at using headlines to draw people to read articles, as many in media are. He has been called out for headlines before, usually by people who only read the headline and don’t follow up by reading the article and understanding the whole picture. Every time I have read Keith being called out for a headline he has defended himself very well and has been right. But this headline is really nothing more than a quote from LH. ie. hardly ‘red meat’ meant by Keith to create an LH bashing base.

Just because one particular poster has decided to make it his sole mission to shoot down LH, overwhelmingly argued against by the majority of those who responded to said poster, does not make Keith an inciter. Keith has provided a great site with a great forum and beyond that all comments are welcome as long as they meet the criteria of the rules on commenting, so to go after him for the wording of a few off-base commentors is wrong. To call it disgusting is in fact disgusting.

8. Charlieboy said on 28th March 2012, 4:45

I really don’t understand why Hamilton is getting grilled over his comments. I think it is a fair comment to make and he was setting better or equal times than Alonso even during the race so he had race winning pace.

I think alot of you people need to really read what your saying because you sound like his done something wrong to you personally. The guy frustrates me but I always seem to gravitate to drivers who drive on emotion and are not really afraid to show it too.

Thats why I am probably the only Hamilton and Alonso fan on here. :P

9. Lurker said on 28th March 2012, 5:06

I’ll say it straight;

I’m no Hamilton fan. I like Alonso because he’s got some freakish talent that ensures that he almost always gets 100% out of the car, and regularly puts it in places lesser mortals are incabable of, and because I have a soft spot for Ferrari.

I like Button because he’s a thinker. His smooth, tactical style appeals, and his win in Canada last year was one of the best races I’ve ever seen.

I like Raikkonen because he simply doesn’t give a toss. He just wants to go fast, and he does. End of story. His anti-PR mentality is a breath of fresh air. His radio comments in Australia were comedy gold, and even funnier, because he wasn’t trying to be clever. What you see is more or less what you get with Raikkonen.

I like Webber because he’s the local boy, and it takes grit to play second fiddle in a team that while supportive (on the surface), clearly sees him as nothing more than a means of sweeping up just enough points to ensure the Constructors title. He’s also a ‘heart on the sleeve’ kind of guy which appeals. Some of his racing is quite exciting too (on Alonso at Spa last year for example, or wheel to wheel with Hamilton around the back in Korea).

Hamilton, for whatever reason, has never rubbed my buddha, as it where.

Don’t get me wrong; I acknowledge and respect his talent. You don’t get to be a world champion and regular race winner by being a chump. His trophy cabinet speaks for itself. Germany last year where he caught Alonso with his trousers down was a thing of bittersweet beauty for me (Alonso fan, remember?). From time to time, his comments off track have either been inappropriate, or misconstrued as inappropriate. I’m not really interested in sorting out which specific incident falls under which catagory. I don’t really care. But for whatever reason, he just doesn’t catch my interest in the same way as the other drivers I’ve mentioned.

Maybe its because he attracts controversy (self inflicted or not; again, I don’t care). I do know that I do get tired of the Hamiltion bashing and defending. Debate is good, but combing over every statement he makes and trying to second guess his meaning is pointless. There’s only one person who knows what Lewis Hamilton means when he speaks. That’s Lewis Hamilton.

I’d much rather spend time speculating about who will come out on top between him and Button this year, and appreciating the races as they come. The ones where Hamilton does well, and the ones that he doesn’t. It’s all good.

Whew! Glad to get that off my chest.

Now on to more important things;

If anyone is looking to buy one slightly used soul, I’d gladly sell mine for that Toleman!

• Marco (@f1lipino) said on 28th March 2012, 5:34

Ahhh a kindred spirit.

• AdrianMorse (@adrianmorse) said on 28th March 2012, 6:40

Though I fear the next time Hamilton opens his mouth, debate will rage again…

• bosyber (@bosyber) said on 28th March 2012, 8:00

Great comment Lurker! I do somehow like HAM, but equally don’t really know why. All the rest of your post: I feel very very similar, though I should probably refrain more from trying to change unchangeable opinions more :)

I’ll add that I like to see Vettel for his great talent in putting in those immaculate laps when they are needed, and showing great skill at controlling everything around him (but we haven’t yet seen him do it this year); I try not to be annoyed by his (teams/ way of) celebration (the Ferrari passion, and McLaren satisfaction gels better with me).

That Toleman – we still have a spot free in the garage under our housing block, how cool would it be to put it there on display, sigh!

@adrianmorse – sometimes it’s almost enough reason to wish he’d not be there really, but not quite.

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 28th March 2012, 14:20

Great comment, Lurker…so who will come out on top this year? JB or LH?

• Lurker said on 29th March 2012, 0:26

Good question.

I’d LIKE Button to win it (both beating Hamilton in the team, and getting the WDC). Whether he will remains to be seen.

There’s still 18 races to go, which is a long time in F1. I think it will almost certainly come down to driver psychology and the “formula” of F1 this season.

I don’t subscribe to the idea that MacLaren favors one driver over the other, or that they deliberately sabotage one driver or the other (MacLaren want the Constructors title. Sabotaging drivers to decrease their chances of scoring points strikes me as madness).

I DO believe however, that there can be different group dynamics between JB and his team of engineers, and between LH and his team of engineers. This comes down to driver behaviour (and therefore psychology). I believe at the moment that JB is “gelling” better with group, at the moment. This gives a psychological boost to JB, encourages the team to go the extra mile, and MAY even decrease LH’s confidence.

The other thing to consider is LH’s state of mind. Coming into this season, it was pretty obvious that he was feeling much more confident than last year. It seems he’s put most of his personal issues behind him, and this showed in his driving (double pole position). The question becomes whether the fact that JB took first blood in Australia, and couldn’t convert pole into a win in Malaysia (behind Fernando in the lame duck, and a SAUBER for goodness sake!), will damage his confidence.

I can only speculate of course, but I believe to some extent, LH must be comparing his pole to win ratio to Vettel’s last year. I doubt it’s a pleasing thought for him. It depends on whether he can take that disappointment, and appropriately use it to focus, without stepping into desperation.

JB on the other hand, has much less to worry about in many ways. He knows he’s the first one to beat LH on points over a season. He’s already won a race this year, against a teammate who qualified higher. Even with the problems in Malaysia, he does have a lot of “confidence momentum” to ride on. As would his team of engineers.

I think RIGHT NOW, JB has the psychological edge. A lot can change in 18 races, so who knows, it may swing back into LH’s favor, but at this point, JB would have the edge.

As for the technical side, again I think JB’s got the tiniest margin on LH at the moment.

The cars are the same (barring setup). the MacLarens seem to be the car to beat at the moment (odd weather conditions in Malaysia notwithstanding). The big talking points this season are the tyres, and the change to the exhaust regulations. Both of these conditions seem to favor Button’s natural driving style. Hamilton has definitely improved the way he manages the tyres, but it still seems that like last year, Button is better able to manage them over the course of a race. Again, early days, but JB may have the edge because of that.

From the races that I watched last year (and this year) I think JB has a better ability to manage race strategy. It seems he is more involved in the process with the team, and is better able to determine when to push, and when to sit back (his questions about the Red Bull’s pace in Australia strike me as typical JB). It comes back to that “gelling” with the team I was talking about.

LH on the other hand, seems to rely more on the team to direct him on race strategy. It makes sense in a way. Let the team direct strategy, so he can focus on what he’s doing on the track. Nothing wrong with this of course, but if the results are anything to go by compared to JB last year, it doesn’t seem to be as effective. I fully admit that this is only a surface impression, based on interviews and race-radio transmissions, which as we all know, don’t really reflect the TRUE circumstances.

That said, I believe the current “formula” of F1 combined with JB’s (seemingly) smoother (if a tad slower), more tactical style, may give him the edge.

Like I said, still 18 races to go, so anything could happen between now and then, but right now, I’d bet on Button.

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 29th March 2012, 15:44

Great stuff, Lurker…I pretty much agree with everything you are saying. If I could add anything it would be to say I think this rivalry will be awesome to watch this season because of the combination of JB having come off last season smelling like a rose, and LH admitting in the off-season that he had a little too much fun that cost him training time which cost him on race days. I think that must have been terrible for the team and the sponsors to hear, that some of LH’s ‘downfall’ last year was of his own doing (off the track) after all their hard work and hard earned money went into backing him. Bearing those things in mind I think the onus and the pressure is more on LH to up his game, vs. the pressure on JB to maintain it. And with two poles it looks like LH is there, yet JB is so there too…I think the pressure is on LH after two races and I always watch for how drivers do when the pressure is at it’s greatest. And imho LH has proven often enough to make mental errors that I think JB is sitting pretty right now. The onus is very much on LH to prove this likes of us wrong, and the majority of posters here I believe far and away think LH is the better driver, so we shall see. I think we will be able to throw a blanket over these two all season and it will come down to mental errors and in that regard JB will win out. I think JB is better than he has ever been, making true comparisons to LH a moving target and not one we can really make based on the JB of the past.

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 29th March 2012, 16:05

Just wanted to add that in fairness to LH he does lead JB by 5 points right now, and I think it is significant that both drivers have every reason to be extremely excited and stoked about their potential in what is obviously the car to beat right now, and I think they have eluded to that, so in my claim that the onus is on LH to up his game, that aspect will be a lot easier for him to achieve in a car that seems to be able to handle the competition quite well right now. ie. if it doesn’t go according to plan on a given Sunday for whatever reason, the car will be there for both of them the next Sunday for them to answer immediately to any misfortune from the previous race, so they can both take great comfort in that.

10. me262 said on 28th March 2012, 5:48

maybe cos Hamy is the furthest from a racing driver of the old ilk but more of a contemporary artificial-commercial-hollywood-ayrtonsenna-wannabe-look at me-look at me sort of a racer?

• OOliver said on 28th March 2012, 13:13

All the racing drivers of the old ilk have long since departed this world. The generation after the old ilk, are often times, rambling nonsense when they have a mic in front of them.
      This is the current generation.
      Except of course, by old ilk, you are implying something else.

11. Maciek (@maciek) said on 28th March 2012, 7:37

@keithcollantine
    That’s some feat those drivers accomplished while

winning at the same time with three different constructors

Ferrari wanting three cars is one thing, but one guy driving three different cars at once is just getting over the top! When will the FIA step in to regulate this craziness I ask you?

Nice mention in the Mail ‘editor of leading motorsport website F1Fanatic.co.uk’. Sweet!

12. TheJudge (@thejudge) said on 28th March 2012, 7:38

He reminds me of a Mercedes W03 this year,which is sad.

13. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 28th March 2012, 8:11

How on Earth anyone can read negatively into that Hamilton article is beyond me. Take your time to read it, it’s only brief.

He sounds genuinely positive and forward thinking. We all know how important consistency is in this sport. Red Bull’s lack of it almost lost them the championship in 2010 but won them it in 2011.

I can’t see Alonso putting in another race like he did in Malaysia and McLaren certainly won’t be under threat from Ferrari in the Constructors.

He’s in the right frame of mind.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 28th March 2012, 9:35

I’m going to take a cue from the internet and start shouting people down who are self-critical, until they apologise for being a little humble and become as antagonistic as me.

• Jake (@jleigh) said on 28th March 2012, 10:43

I think Lewis has done great this year so far. He’s had truly awful luck in both races, yet has kept a cool head throughout and collected good points. He has come out with more points than any of his main title contenders (I can’t see Alonso challenging, but I hope I’m wrong). Both Vettel and Button have had better luck, but missed the opportunity to capitalise.

14. MahavirShah (@mahavirshah) said on 28th March 2012, 8:15

Such a stark contrast between the Hamilton of this year and of the last one. Seem like completely different drivers. Last year he looked uncomfortable, fidgety and edgy and this year despite not maximizing his points tally he looks more relaxed. Disappointed, yes, but still positive. I hope for his sake that as the season will go on and the title fight becomes tougher and it may boil down to between him and Button he can maintain the same calm and composure. I guess racers have a “happy place” and Lewis has maybe found his.

15. Dave said on 28th March 2012, 8:40

Vettels comments don’t really surprise me in all honesty, does anyone remember Hamiltons comments in his first season about the back markers? Calling them the monkeys at the back!!

• OOliver said on 28th March 2012, 13:20

He didn’t call the back markers monkey Dave.
      He was referring to a slang used by drivers in the lower series to describe how crazy it gets a few rows behind pole.
      Vettel insulted someone, several times, Hamilton used a term while in GP2 or something, that he didn’t invent, but described chaos. So don’t try to make light of what Vettel did.