Sauber confirm sponsorship from football team Chelsea

2012 F1 season

Sauber C31 with Chelsea sponsorship, 2012Sauber have confirmed a new sponsorship deal with English Premier League football club Chelsea.

The C31 will race with Chelsea logos from the next round of the world championship in Spain.

Team CEO Monisha Kaltenborn said: “A partnership like this between Formula One and Football has never existed before in this form, yet there are numerous commonalities and possible synergies.

“In either case we are talking about team sport at the highest ?ǣ and international ?ǣ level. The Sauber F1 Team and Chelsea FC are dealing with many of the same sporting and commercial topics and we want to strengthen each other in these areas. We are looking forward to exploiting these opportunities, and we congratulate Chelsea on making it to the final of the Champions League.”

Sauber dropped hints about the forthcoming deal by running the slogans “Out of the blue” and “True blue” on its cars’ engine covers in the last two races.

The deal will also see Sauber logos displayed on advertising boards at Chelsea’s stadium.

2012 F1 season

Browse all 2012 F1 season articles

Image ?? Sauber F1 Team

68 comments on Sauber confirm sponsorship from football team Chelsea

1. me262 said on 30th April 2012, 12:45

Guardiola to manage HRT?

2. katederby (@katederby) said on 30th April 2012, 13:31

I don’t care about football but delighted for Peter Sauber, hope the cash gives the team that extra push to stand out from the midfield teams.

3. PJA (@pja) said on 30th April 2012, 13:48

I don’t understand this deal, what does each side get from it.

If it is just a partnership and no money is changing hands what are the real benefits apart from some advertising for both parties.

I don’t see why a football team such as Chelsea would need to advertise with a F1 team and it seems even more unlikely that Sauber have any need to advertise with an English Premier League side. I suppose you could argue they are trying to increase their fan bases.

The only area they both have in common is probably sport science and the health/fitness of drivers and footballers, but I would have thought Chelsea should already have some of the best facilities in Football.

If money is part of the deal it makes even less sense to me, as although Abramovich (Chelsea’s owner) has plenty of money, Chelsea Football Club need to try to stop make losses because of the UEFA fair play regulations, although I assume some clever accountants would be able to get around these rules.

Chelsea announce reduced losses and a record turnover

The engine cover is one of the main advertising locations on a F1 car so I would have thought Sauber must be getting something worthwhile out of the deal but if that is the case I can’t see what Chelsea get out of the deal.

The only thing which seems to fit is that Abramovich wants to get involved with F1 and thought Chelsea was as good a name as anything to put on the car at the moment.

4. robk23 (@robk23) said on 30th April 2012, 16:59

I’m not quite sure how a football team can sponsor a Formula 1 team, doesn’t a football team also require sponsors? To me it seems as odd as perhaps McLaren sponsoring HRT, I don’t understand how this works but any sponsorship is good.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 1st May 2012, 6:21

Chelsea has sponsors – primarily Samsung and Addidas. The deal to sponsor Sauber would make sense if Chelsea approached the team and said “our sponsors want to work in Formula 1; if we bring them to you, can we have some space on the car?” … but Sauber is already sponsored by NEC, which is one of Samsung’s competitors, and while a lot of teams have deals with clothing companies to supply uniforms and the like, they’re usually technical partnerships and not worth as much as full sponsorship.

5. Geo (@geo) said on 30th April 2012, 18:50

I just don’t understand how Sauber thinks that having this most boring grey and white background does not make a neutral backdrop for sponsors. I think it actually keeps sponsors from wanting to work with them. It looks like a nice looking car, but these black and white areas completely take away from the elegant lines of the car and make any logos on them look cheap. I keep seeing ghost images of Burger King on the side. I love the Sauber team but almost am embarrassed at how ugly and cheap the car can look.

6. tkcom (@tkcom) said on 30th April 2012, 21:16

Could’ve been worse.

7. Kimi4WC said on 1st May 2012, 1:01

Also a thing that makes me think that this move is personal for Abramovich with regards to promote him club with no connection to Russia, is the fact that he is supporting a non-Renault team.

Minding Renault presence and lobbying importance of Renault in Russia it’s hard to see any of Russian big names sponsoring non-Renault car, in F1.

8. raymondu999 (@raymondu999) said on 1st May 2012, 7:25

I guess that settles the issue of Perez in Sepang then. He was just pulling a Torres.

9. Bendanarama (@bendana) said on 1st May 2012, 8:33

Presumably, Sauber will now hire a new driver away at an extortionate amount of money – say around £50m – who will then dramatically underperform for the better part of two seasons before having a seemingly random flurry of good results towards the end of the second season.

Torres – the best con job a scouser ever pulled.

10. Bullfrog (@bullfrog) said on 3rd May 2012, 12:28

Not a great start for the new deal…but all publicity is good publicity, right?
    Here’s Newcastle beating Chelsea with the new pitch-side advertising in the background:

And here’s the Sauber showing off its new logos: