Maldonado and Kobayashi fined after incidents

2012 British Grand Prix

Pastor Maldonado, Williams, Silverstone, 2012Pastor Maldonado and Kamui Kobayashi were fined after incidents during the British Grand Prix.

Maldonado was handed a ??10,000 fine and a reprimand for his collision with Sergio Perez during the race. Perez retired following the collision at Brooklands.

The stewards’ decision stated: “In view of the serious nature of the incident the stewards have decided under Article 18.1 to apply two penalties.”

Kobayashi received a ??25,000 fine for an unsafe pit stop after hitting several members of his pit crew.

“The accident at the pit stop was my fault and I want to apologise to the team,” said Kobayashi.

“Of course I had to push hard for points, but without doubt I braked too late in the pit lane.

“The front wheels locked, I couldn?t control the car, and this is how I overshot the pit box. I am terribly sorry this happened, and I hope the three mechanics I hit get well soon.”

The team confirmed on Twitter one mechanic had an injured thumb and the other suffered cuts and bruises to his left leg.

2012 British Grand Prix

Browse all 2012 British Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Williams/LAT

94 comments on Maldonado and Kobayashi fined after incidents

1 2 3
  1. Guilherme (@guilherme) said on 8th July 2012, 17:23

And once again Maldonado recieves a slap on the wrist. This woud be comical if it wasn’t so upsetting.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 8th July 2012, 17:26

@guilherme Strange to see a driver receive a fine for an on-track incident. I’ll have to have a look but I can’t remember that happening very often.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 8th July 2012, 17:52

Vergne did get one last time, maybe a new trend being set?

I do think that when the stewards say its a more harsh penalty because of how serious the accident was, its feels tragicomical that Kobayashi gets a higher fine for hitting his own pit team.

• bosyber (@bosyber) said on 8th July 2012, 19:20

Very true @bascb.

Of course that incident itself was quite a dangerous one, and teams have gotten a $25k fine for unsafe releases before, but it does work oddly.

Personally I found Sky’s analysis of that Perez/ Maldonado incident convincing and find myself agreeing with Herbert that MAL didn’t do very much wrong on this occasion, but that he does need to be more aware of things around him; having cold tyres isn’t an excuse, it is a reason to be more careful.

• lucho19 (@lucho19) said on 8th July 2012, 19:58

Look ; we saw a very aggressive, similar passes from PER to other drivers, and in a close fight, they respected the line and let PER go through…..the problem with MAL is that he will not accept that PER (a mexican) could pass him (oh, the shame, what would Chavez think?) so he hit PER on the side -same as with HAM- and took him out of the race. Easy, simple, road rage. He deserves a higher penalty (not $$$).I hope next time they ban him for a race or something important.

• Alfie (@alfie) said on 8th July 2012, 18:51

Didn’t Sutil get one after Brazil 09? Or am I dreaming..?

• baldgye (@baldgye) said on 8th July 2012, 17:50

indeed, I guess he really is going to have to seriously injure another driver before anything is actually done…..

• Cristian (@cristian) said on 8th July 2012, 20:19

I think Maldonado should change his name to Pastor Abandonado

• rambler said on 8th July 2012, 21:45

yeah this is ridiculous. Malaysia 2011 Alonso and Hamilton get together and Alonso loses his front wing and has to pit for a new one. And then gets a drive through penalty. Hamilton’s car was ok. A racing incident and the one suffering was penalized (one of MANY MANY MANY examples). And Maldonado gets NOTHING. This is starting to smell…

• ivz (@ivz) said on 9th July 2012, 0:08

I feel for Williams. They have a driver with great speed, but drives like a child! The amount of points that have been thrown away, undeliverable. And then Bruno is not there either to capitalise if his team mate is crashing out. Bruno is the opposite, has a cool head, but just not as quick. It must be so frustrating for them. Makes me wonder where the team would be if they had a driver like Alonso.

2. Slr (@slr) said on 8th July 2012, 17:25

A grid penalty would have fit Maldonado’s crime considering he took out another competitor. I don’t think drivers should effectively get away with causing another driver to retire.

A fine for Kobayashi is suitable I think. I’ve never seen grid penalties for any other driver running down their pit crew. But that incident was scary to watch the first time I saw it.

• baldgye (@baldgye) said on 8th July 2012, 17:52

I think it would have been better to maybe see Kobayashi handed a punishement that forces him to help up-pack/pack-up there garage at the end of a race or something, put him in the shoes of some of the people he works around rather than a meaningless fine… might also help build any stranged bridges

• Slr (@slr) said on 8th July 2012, 18:16

@baldgye I heard that Kobayashi once helped his mechanics fix his car after he’d crashed it. So he does have some experience of being in his mechanic’s shoes.

• dirgegirl (@dirgegirl) said on 8th July 2012, 22:54

Or maybe the mechanics could just drive their VW Golfs at his ankles. Sounds a bit progressive and “restorative justice” for F1.

• Solo (@solo) said on 9th July 2012, 1:25

Because obviously Kobayashi thinks nothing of them and the work they do and just likes to occasionally run them over for the fun of it since they are insignificant little beings.

Lets get serious shall we? The guy obviously feels like shιt for it. When stuff like that happen usually the one making the mistake feels ten times worse than the other guy.

3. Carlitox (@carlitox) said on 8th July 2012, 17:25

A reprimand? You’ve got to be kidding me. Pastor is on a rampage since last GP, I mean, we like (I like) aggresive drivers but not daredevils.

• sorin (@) said on 8th July 2012, 18:49

Maldonado is a jerk…He thinks, he is in Venezuela. When Hugo Chavez will die, he will be a zero, backthere, too.

4. emaema said on 8th July 2012, 17:26

€10,000 fine is too lenient for Maldonado!!!

5. Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 8th July 2012, 17:27

This was a racing incident to me, specially since they were on cold tyres and Maldonado didn’t look like he intended to push Perez off the track, it looked like he lost the rear a bit and overcorrected it.

But I do agree failing to fully penalize a driver for continuos incidents on track (most of them his fault) is clearly a mistake by the FIA. You can’t expect to receive a yellow card at every single match during a tournament and not be banned from a match or two. Not saying Maldonado deserves a race ban, but clearly something needs to be done. Otherwise, you just encourage him to keep trying the aggressive way.

• sparkus88 (@sparkus88) said on 8th July 2012, 18:46

I completey agree with everything you said.

• Polishboy808 (@polishboy808) said on 8th July 2012, 20:17

100% Agree with that, very well said.

• Railly (@rjessalt) said on 8th July 2012, 21:04

Agreed as well. Would be much more impressive to watch a clean battle, such as Alonso and Webber did for 1st. That is talented and respectable driving, unlike what Maldonado has been doing.

• hey (@hey) said on 8th July 2012, 21:20

That just about sums it up for me.

• Jarv F150 (@jarvf150) said on 8th July 2012, 22:23

+ 1

Yep this one looked very much like a racing incident.
      PM could probably do with some wise words in the ear.

But who knowns perhaps its some long term evil plan to make other drivers scared of him in future races so they dont go wheel 2 wheel.

• MattW said on 9th July 2012, 4:16

• Kimi4WC said on 9th July 2012, 5:59

Williams need to get involved and further increase their drivers qualities. Maldonado does not lack pace, but he have to become a more intelligent driver.

Williams possibly got future star in their car, but he will fade away if he keep crashing and not learning.

All Champs been crashing right and left at some point, but most of them don’t need to do it twice to learn it. Maldonado cost Williams three high scoring finishes, considering he is mostly the one pulling the weight for Williams, he must act accordingly. And if he can’t Williams must help him.

Personally, I do not approve of Maldonado’s incidents or justify in any way. But this guy got raw speed(not just another talented driver), he is one of the fastest guys on the grid right now, but he is far from having whole package. Williams will miss out if they loose him due to other factors other than if he lacked speed.

6. What a joke of a punishment.

A meaningless monetry fine for an obviously danger driver who has 10′s of millions in backing, yeh stewards! that’ll do it!

The reason he continues to do stupid things is precisly because he keeps going under punished. Though no doubt another opportunity will arise over the next races, will they continue to ignore the elephant in the room? Or wait until someone is seriously hurt.

• ivz (@ivz) said on 9th July 2012, 0:15

It’s come to the point where now if you see MAL near another car, you think “oh look out, this could result in contact”. So much so, that as soon as I saw PER get a tow in the DRS and tried to go around the outside, I immediately knew there was going to be contact, and gee, what do you know! And its the opposite when you see ALO and WEB go wheel to wheel, you know its going to be good, and will get really tight, but there is so much respect that it will never end in contact. That’s the issue, MAL has no respect for ANYONE on the track!

• Dave (@davea86) said on 9th July 2012, 4:10

@ivz it’s funny you say that because when Malonado was catching Hamilton as Hamilton’s tyres were going off in Valencia I was thinking exactly the same thing. Hamilton was never going to give up the position without a fight and when the words ‘fight’ and ‘Maldonado’ are in the same sentence you know what’s coming…

7. Willl (@willl) said on 8th July 2012, 17:33

The respective fines appear to completely out of step with the offences. Kobayashi made an error which damaged his own team’s race, whereas Maldonado’s repeated robust driving which resulted in a competitor’s race is ended meets with a minor reaction.
    For several other overtaking moves around the outside at the same turn there was plenty of space, and yet Maldonado fails to give enough room again.
    He’s a liability who needs to be calmed down. I would advocate a race ban, actual or suspended until he can prove he is capable of reasonable driving behaviour.

8. Eggry (@eggry) said on 8th July 2012, 17:33

Maldonado is not far from race ban…

• sorin (@) said on 8th July 2012, 18:43

if this would happens he will buy the entrance, like it was in Moanco with persona non grata title..

• Ed Marques (@edmarques) said on 9th July 2012, 3:21

I was expecting this today. I don’t understand FIA punishments.

• Kimi4WC said on 9th July 2012, 6:01

And what do you reckon should have happened if Alonso did clip Webber’s wing at the start?

• Kimi4WC said on 9th July 2012, 6:05

Everything is becoming so sterile and drivers adapt and abuse it. This new “Front wing at Rear Wheel” rule is obvious result, plainly stupid.

James Hunt crashed into Mario Andretti cause he though; “We don’t ovetake on outside in Formula 1″

9. Mallesh Magdum (@malleshmagdum) said on 8th July 2012, 17:33

I believe that had it been another driver, he would have been let off with a reprimand. But Pastor was fined for his consecutive involvement in incidents. This was a racing incident

10. Bleeps_and_Tweaks (@bleeps_and_tweaks) said on 8th July 2012, 17:34

A £10,000 fine is a joke. In my opinion the FIA should be dealing with the series of incidents Maldonado is involved far more seriously. Also why is it a fine and not a sporting penalty like a grid demotion for the next race?
    The incident today was just being far too gung-ho on tyres he had’t got a handle on yet. I think some people will be upset by Perez’ comments in his interviews after the incident, but I think he’s got every right to say what he did.

11. Bradley Downton (@bradley13) said on 8th July 2012, 17:35

Can’t wait to see Sergio’s reaction to this…
    Though, if this was Lewis, would he have escaped without a race ban by now?

• Slr (@slr) said on 8th July 2012, 17:40

if this was Lewis, would he have escaped without a race ban by now?

No. Whilst Maldonado did get off lightly, I don’t believe the stewards have it in for Hamilton. Most of his penalties were justified in my opinion.

• baldgye (@baldgye) said on 8th July 2012, 18:22

The diffrence being that Lewis has no record of intentionally driving into people to make a point…

12. emaema said on 8th July 2012, 17:36

My english is not good.

Can anyone tell me what “reprimand” is ??? Will you lose anything after receiving a reprimand? What kind of punishment it is?!

13. Arnt these monetry fines suppose to go into R&D for car safty?

Ive got a better solution, get rid of the role-models who are too agressive behind a wheel

14. dam00r (@dam00r) said on 8th July 2012, 17:43

Kobayashis penalty, €25,000 is a bit much. The €10,000 find would’ve reflect his incident more accurate.
    And with Maldonados incident, he should be given a find for how much the parts on the other damaged cars would cost + because Perez couldn’t continue he should receive constructors-points from Williams.

These type of penalty ideas I’d like to see in the future.

• minnis (@minnis) said on 8th July 2012, 21:07

I disagree. Points should never be awarded because of an incident. Let us look at last race in Valencia as an example. Let us assume that, before the safety car, Vettel went to lap Vergne, who shoved Vettel into the wall. Grosjean, trying to avoid this accident, ploughed into the wall also. Hamilton then took the lead and, because he was able to look after his tyres, won the race. A little farfetched, but possible. With your penalty system, Vergne’s points would be handed to Vettel and Grosjean – who both would have retired a few laps down the line anyway.
      Whos to say Perez would not have crashed out of his own accord, or had a mechanical failure?

15. Cornflakes (@cornflakes) said on 8th July 2012, 17:47

Not a problem – Maldonado’s government/sponsors will cover that. The ‘punishment’ is no deterrent, and won’t motivate a much needed change in his approach.

1 2 3