Maldonado and Kobayashi fined after incidents

2012 British Grand Prix

Pastor Maldonado, Williams, Silverstone, 2012Pastor Maldonado and Kamui Kobayashi were fined after incidents during the British Grand Prix.

Maldonado was handed a ??10,000 fine and a reprimand for his collision with Sergio Perez during the race. Perez retired following the collision at Brooklands.

The stewards’ decision stated: “In view of the serious nature of the incident the stewards have decided under Article 18.1 to apply two penalties.”

Kobayashi received a ??25,000 fine for an unsafe pit stop after hitting several members of his pit crew.

“The accident at the pit stop was my fault and I want to apologise to the team,” said Kobayashi.

“Of course I had to push hard for points, but without doubt I braked too late in the pit lane.

“The front wheels locked, I couldn?t control the car, and this is how I overshot the pit box. I am terribly sorry this happened, and I hope the three mechanics I hit get well soon.”

The team confirmed on Twitter one mechanic had an injured thumb and the other suffered cuts and bruises to his left leg.

2012 British Grand Prix

Browse all 2012 British Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Williams/LAT

94 comments on Maldonado and Kobayashi fined after incidents

1. Hotbottoms (@hotbottoms) said on 8th July 2012, 17:50

I think they should give him a race ban – at first. This incident alone wouldn’t be that bad, but he has constantly caused crashes and – what I think is even worse – doesn’t seem to mind. The fines in general are ridicilous, what is 10,000 pounds to a Formula1 driver, especially if he is funded by Hugo Chavez?

It’s not right if other drivers start driving more carefully against Maldonado only because he most certainly ruins their races if they try to pass or defend against him.

2. jhr9988 (@rhj8899) said on 8th July 2012, 17:56

€10K FINE IS AN ABSOLUTE JOKE

3. jhr9988 (@rhj8899) said on 8th July 2012, 18:01

HATS OF TO THE STEWARDS/FIA/WHOEVER MAKES THAT PENALTY DECISION.

LET US GIVE YOU TONS OF APPLAUSE

4. Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 8th July 2012, 18:01

I agree with the fine and the reprimand for Pastor, judging that incident on its own merits. And that’s coming from a Sauber fan.

I do still believe that he deserved a ban for the Perez road-rage incident in Monaco, but that’s in the past now. If he makes another stupid move, that’s when he really SHOULD get a sever punishment. It won’t happen though.

5. Ral (@ral) said on 8th July 2012, 18:11

I don’t understand these fines at all. Maldonado took someone out of the race and gets fined 10k. Kobayashi hits some of his pit crew and gets fined 25k.

What are the lessons they want these two drivers to learn? “Don’t take out other drivers”, fair enough. “Be careful in the pit lane”, also fair enough.

But I’m pretty sure Kobayashi will be a bit more careful in the future regardless of being fined, because let’s face it, he doesn’t want to hit his own crew or anyone else in the legs.

On the other hand, it doesn’t seem like Maldonado is particularly quick on the pickup when it comes to driving, to the point where now they aren’t giving him normal racing penalties any more but are resorting to monetary punishment. The levels of the penalties handed out just seems a bit counter intuitive to me and it has to be said, it wouldn’t have been obvious if they hadn’t been handed out in the same weekend.

6. Hatebreeder (@hatebreeder) said on 8th July 2012, 18:13

cash penalties are pointless. it should be something will actually make him think twice before going into Rogue-mode. Maybe a black flag on the track the next time.

7. verstappen (@verstappen) said on 8th July 2012, 18:15

Frank’s International Assistance? Williams needs his driver and sponsoring, no?

Ah silly me, drawn into conspiracy thinking by a FIA decision… While I think they’re just incompetent and inconsistent.

8. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 8th July 2012, 18:33

Seems appropriate enough to me. Sure Maldonado has been erratic in the past but today I believe he just made a mistake that cost himself and happened to include Perez in that. It doesn’t even constitute an avoidable accident as Maldonado’s problems started before he hit Perez.

You could argue that Kobayashi was more careless as he was going at probably one third of the speed of Maldonado and floored 3 guys not in strict race conditions.

9. xivizmath (@xivizmath) said on 8th July 2012, 18:41

Why would even stewards punish Kobayashi for a mistake normally NOBODY intends to make. A position drop he suffered because of that mistake is enough of a penalty for him. That’s like punishing a sprint contestant because he tripped.

10. Deko7291 said on 8th July 2012, 18:44

A fine is shocking, it’s not like his government sponsorship won’t find 10,000 down the back of the couch.

11. JPedroCQF1 (@joao-pedro-cq) said on 8th July 2012, 18:46

And Jake Humphrey escapes from paying a fine…

12. Neel Jani (@neelv27) said on 8th July 2012, 18:52

Seems like FIA survives on PDVSA!

13. Coxy said on 8th July 2012, 18:57

Maldonado should loose his licence! It’s not just this race or the last it’s been going on for too long now, can I remind you all of the ramming Hamilton incident. Maybe the FIA (Ferrari international assistance ) will finally give him a suitable punishment once he takes out alonso or massa, let’s just hope that happens before he kills someone!

14. egsgeg said on 8th July 2012, 19:03

Its a bit sad for Kobi as he obviously did not do it intentionally.

15. Knightmare (@knightmare) said on 8th July 2012, 19:38

I wonder if the driver was Lewis Hamilton instead of Pastor Maldonado, what would have been the penalty?

Remember all the penalties Lewis Hamilton has had received during his early years of F1 !! Maldonado is one lucky guy.