Jerome d’Ambrosio to stand in for Grosjean at Monza

2012 Italian Grand Prix

Jerome D'Ambrosio, Spa-Francorchamps, 2012Jerome D’Ambrosio will take Romain Grosjean’s place at Lotus in the Italian Grand Prix.

Grosjean was excluded from the race after triggering a crash which eliminated himself and three other drivers at the start of the Belgian Grand Prix.

D’Ambrosio is the team’s third driver and raced for Virgin last year.

“My desire for 2012 has always been to get back into the seat of a Formula 1 car so I am grabbing this opportunity with both hands,” said D’Ambrosio. “Monza is a fantastic circuit and I can?t wait to take to the track on Friday.

“As third driver I have worked with the team at every Grand Prix, attending all the briefings and meetings that the race drivers do, so I am well prepared in this respect. Monza is a superb circuit, but it is also quite a technical one so I am not underestimating the task ahead of me.

“I want to reward the faith that the team has in me with a good haul of points from the race. I will hand the wheel back to Romain after Sunday?s race and I hope that this one showing in Italy will allow me to show my capabilities fully.”

Team principal Eric Boullier said: “When we signed Jerome as our third driver we signed a man who is highly motivated, fresh, talented and who contested the full 2011 season. We hope that this will pay dividends when he drives the car this weekend in Monza.

“We know that Jerome is well integrated into the team and that he did a good job when he drove the E20 at the Mugello test. Now he has the challenge of a Grand Prix at the challenging circuit of Monza, in a car which is capable of finishing on the podium.

“One thing is for sure, he?s half Italian and I think I know which driver the spectators will support apart from Fernando! It?s a tough task for Jerome, but we will be supporting him in every way to achieve a good result.”

2012 Italian Grand Prix

Browse all 2012 Italian Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Lotus F1 Team/LAT

102 comments on Jerome d’Ambrosio to stand in for Grosjean at Monza

1. Enigma (@enigma) said on 4th September 2012, 15:59

Good choice. He’s tested the car, he knows the team well and how they work. It’ll be difficult for him, but I’m sure he’s capable of scoring a few points.

2. Just a small light hearted thought, if Jerome were to become Pastor Maldonado’s teammate, then Williams would have to become F1’s official chefs.

3. Cyclops_PL (@cyclops_pl) said on 4th September 2012, 16:03

Can somebody explain me the custard joke?

4. dam00r (@dam00r) said on 4th September 2012, 16:04

I would’ve hoped for Alguesuari or Barrichello.

5. Veteran said on 4th September 2012, 16:07

The only sensible choice.

Now let us hope he outperforms kimi so Grosjean can stay at home for the rest of the season

6. petebaldwin (@petebaldwin) said on 4th September 2012, 17:40

Good luck to him. Funny how he was interviewed before the race and was clearly disappointed to not have driven in practice yet but gave a really good “team” answer and now he’s racing!

Good luck to him – it’ll be great to see how he gets on in a decent car as I was impressed with him in the Virgin last year.

7. Hairs (@hairs) said on 4th September 2012, 18:02

You know what’s happening today?

Timo Glock is staring at the wall desperately trying to turn back time and get sacked from Marussia last year.

8. Lin1876 (@lin1876) said on 4th September 2012, 20:07

It would be incredibly ironic if D’Ambrosio won at Monza…

But in all seriousness, I hope he gets the chance to impress. I think he’s a decent driver who was suffocated by a bad car last year, so hopefully he’ll impress someone enough for a drive next year.

9. AlonsoWDC (@alonsowdc) said on 4th September 2012, 20:41

Ah salud (my Italian is negligible) to you, d’Ambrosio.

Go and shine.

10. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 5th September 2012, 10:29

A sensible choice from Lotus and it shows that they actually have confidence in their driver line-up. I don’t think they’re well blessed with any other choices to be honest (they burned their bridges with Heidfeld when they ditched him) but a smart move nonetheless.