Vettel: Whoever wins title will deserve it

F1 Fanatic round-up

Sebastian Vettel, Yas Marina, 2012In the round-up: Sebastian Vettel believes whoever wins the title between him and Fernando Alonso will deserve it.

Thanks to F1 Fanatic’s Supporters

It’s almost six months since F1 Fanatics Supporter programme was launched and I’m very pleased with how popular it has been so far.

Readers contributing ??1 per month/??12 per year are an increasingly valuable part of the site’s income and are already having a beneficial effect on how the site is produced, hosted and run.

Thanks to everyone who has pledged their support for the site so far. If you interested in joining in and gaining the benefit of faster ad-free browsing on the site, take a look at the links below.

Links

Top F1 links from the past 24 hours:

Q&A – Sebastian Vettel prepares to hit 100 in Austin (F1)

“If you look at the races we?ve done so far I think Fernando’s and my DNF’s or calamities are equal. I still believe that the driver who deserves it most will be champion. No doubt we are in a very good position now and I hope we do well until the very end to make sure that we deserve the glory.”

Why drugs and F1 don’t mix (ESPN)

FIA F1 medical delegate Jean-Charles Piette: “There are some drugs that might reinforce the aptitude and skill to drive in competition. On a theoretical basis, we could imagine the potential for such drugs, starting from the benign ones – such as caffeine, for example, or nicotine – to the more serious, such as amphetamines or cocaine. In other sports there have been some positive tests from people, and it’s not always clear it’s from recreational use.”

United States GP: Vijay?s Vision (Force India)

Vijay Mallya: “We have traditionally waited until the end of the season to confirm our line-up and I expect we will stick to this schedule. With the state of the driver market at the moment there is no rush to make an announcement. We have a shortlist and will take our time to make sure we have the fastest drivers available in our cars next season.”

Maldonado explains the secrets behind his qualifying speed (James Allen on F1)

“I’m quite strong mentally to be honest with you. There is not the perfect lap ?ǣ it doesn?t exist ?ǣ you always can do better. What I learn from qualy one I do that in qualy two, and what I learn from qualy one and two I try to do that for qualy three.”

Is Sunday’s F1 race weird enough for Austin, Texas? (Reuters)

“Some sceptics have come around, embracing the race and the sleek parties that come with it, while others are still shaking their heads over fears of clogged streets, noisy helicopter traffic and a negative impact on the environment, all for a ritzy event they say is simply un-Austin.”

F1 star Perez gives Mexicans hope (CNN)

“My country is really only in the media for drugs and violence, which is sad. And yes there have been problems with the Mafia and drugs, but it’s getting better. People need to focus on the fact it’s a great place, with some great beaches and some great people.”

Rain could be headache for F1 (Austin-American Statesman)

“Unlike NASCAR, Formula One races in the rain, which often provides more action. Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone once floated the idea of installing sprinklers at tracks to create more overtaking, as passing is called.”

Schumacher: “This won?t be my last Race Of Champions” (Race of Champions)

“I could have retired from it by the end of this year, but I don?t want to. It’s too much fun. And as long as I’m still a bit competitive in it, why not?”

Meanwhile in Rio (Joe Saward)

“The city has managed to attract not only the 2014 FIFA World Cup Final, but also the 2016 Olympics Games. The aim is to keep this progress going and as part of the plan the mayor Eduardo Paes has been pushing for the construction of a new autodrome to replace the old Jacarepagua circuit, which has been largely torn up to make way for facilities for the Olympic Games.”

Abu Dhabi Grand Prix video edit (F1)

Video from the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

Industry insiders reveal all about the greatest motorsport on Earth (BBC)

“Formula for Success is a series which looks in detail at the inspiring technology behind Formula 1.”

Introducing Wendy & Keith Murray (Force India)

“As a one-off competition, our team partner, Whyte & Mackay, gave fans the chance to win their names on the cars for the weekend. As prizes go, this is surely the ultimate honour for any Formula One fan. Just ask the lucky winners – Wendy & Keith Murrary from Scotland.” See here for a few comments from Wendy during the race weekend.

Tweets

Comment of the day

Pirelli’s Paul Hembery said the racing was good in Abu Dhabi after a conservative tyre selection – but @Girts doesn’t think the two are connected:

The excitement had practically nothing to do with the tyres. We were lucky to get a thrilling race but you cannot rely on collisions, safety cars or bugs in Red Bull?s fuel system every time.
@Girts

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to TheNikii and Sid90!

On this day in F1

Michael Schumacher returned to F1 action one year after his first retirement by testing for Ferrari.

Image ?? Red Bull/Getty images

129 comments on Vettel: Whoever wins title will deserve it

1. Girts (@girts) said on 13th November 2012, 8:16

COTD! The best day to start the day! Mr. Hembery, where are you? I’ll buy Pirelli tyres (when I have my own car), if you stop being so conservative.

As for the Abu Dhabi video edit, I believe that F1 fans deserve something more / better. A solid montage but nothing special, no new team radio messages, the same music style as always. Come on guys, this is not Vienna Opera Ball, be more creative.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 13th November 2012, 8:28

@Girts

no new team radio messages

And some of them were in the wrong order. And they used the misleadingly-edited version of Pilbeam’s message to Webber again.

• I’ll buy Pirelli tyres, if you stop being so conservative.

And I’ll get rid of my Pirelli’s if they stop been conservative.

I want to watch a race & not the sort of tyre lottery that made early 2012 as ridiculous as it was!

• Bob (@bobthevulcan) said on 13th November 2012, 13:30

I assume by “tyre lottery”, you mean the fast degrading tyres, and ensuing unpredictable results, we saw in the early stages of the season.

I think what @girts means is that he’d prefer if Pirelli were more bold in their choice of compounds – for instance, instead of a soft/medium combination, they bring soft/hard to a race. That way, there’d be more variation in teams’ race strategies, rather than everyone sticking to the same homogenous strategy. This creates a good race without turning it into a “lottery”.

• Girts (@girts) said on 13th November 2012, 14:12

@bobthevulcan @Dizzy I personally enjoyed the first half of the season a lot although I think that the tyres had much less impact on the race results than often perceived. Raikkonen, Perez, Maldonado and Kobayashi have been delivering strong results after the summer break as well so you cannot say that their teams were simply lucky in the first races. I believe that the field was simply very competitive at the beginning of the season and the tyres just added to the excitement.

The small teams have not been able to keep up with the big ones in the development race and I guess everyone has more or less unlocked the tyres by now, too. So the ‘normal’ order has been restored and there’s just no need for bulletproof tyres that make the already predictable races on the Tilkedromes even more boring. For sure, I understand that Pirelli won’t develop new, more aggressive tyre compounds this year but I think that various strategies would only improve the racing.

• @girts – Spot on about the race edit. And I’m gonna take that a bit further and say it’s not just average, it’s plain awful. They missed out on including a whole heap of relevant highlights, overlapping of sound and image is plain ****, the poorest, shortest, most unspectacular shots of the incidents on track being used, messed up team radios, messed up / variable sound volumes and gains all over, no sound post-processing whatsoever and the list goes on. And what happened to the soundtrack?! I turned the speakers off after less than 30 seconds. If I were leading the communications/media department I would find whoever is responsible for that choice, I would fire them, hire them back and fire them again.

Seriously now, I don’t know if it’s because I happen to know a thing or two about montage scripts and audio formatting / track usage and I might be over-pretentious / picky and such, but it’s just unwatchable for me. Too bad. For such a hectic race, the edit should have been all goosebumps material. Huge disappointment.

2. Dave Davis said on 13th November 2012, 8:17

I just read the Q&A of Sebastian Vettel on formula1.com. And, I just realized that he appears EVERY SINGLE MONTH, while Fernando Alonso didn’t appear a single time in the last years. Is that a Ferrary policy?

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 13th November 2012, 8:23

Interesting. It’s hard to imagine F1.com not wanting to have an interview with Alonso if he’s available.

Running a website I get a feel for which drivers people are most interested in reading about but it doesn’t take a genius to realise there’s an appetite for information about the Ferrari pair. As you suggest, perhaps the Ferrari press office doesn’t give as free access to them as Red Bull do their drivers.

3. akshay said on 13th November 2012, 10:20

Alonso deserves this one !! bored of vettel winning . by the way did anyone notice that in the magazine ad alonso looks a little like clint eastwood :P

4. BasCB (@bascb) said on 13th November 2012, 10:27

Here’s a nice interview with (Abu Dhabi driver-steward) Warwick, elaborating a bit on why it took so much time to decide on Vettels Red Bull on Saturday.

5. RBAlonso (@rbalonso) said on 13th November 2012, 11:41

From the outset I am a dedicated Alonso fan. I believe that every champion is worthy of the crown, regardless of how they got there. I was very sceptical of Jenson Button’s title but he has proven that in the right machinery that he is world class.
    But this sudden Alonso bashing and mocking is becoming rather tedious. It is blatantly obvious that he is still getting 100% out of the car. His ability to ensure he leaves everything to the last ten laps by sacrificing qualifying is incredible. His lose combat racing perfect. I think Vettel’s fans, more than Vettel, are trying to justify this title by saying he has been flawless throughout the campaign. Alonso has had a better championship, in my opinion. Alonso scored more points when his car was poor than Vettel has, and Vettel clawed the gap back with a huge performance advantage. That’s formula 1. But inferring Alonso is not worthy as he claims that the car is a ‘dog’ is unfair. The car is not a dog, its just that at no point in the season did it have a huge performance gap to its competitors, like McLaren and Red Bull.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 13th November 2012, 12:06

@rbalonso – Who said Alonso isn’t worthy of the title, and where did you get the impression that this is a general consensus?

In fact, on the other side, we have on this article alone, someone trying to credit the title to Adrian Newey (specifically stating “not Vettel”), and someone likening Vettel to Paris-freaking-Hilton.

• gilles (@gilles) said on 13th November 2012, 13:18

Guy who came up with Paris Hilton remarks is 12 years old max (as his name indicates) so he can be forgiven and not to be taking seriously ever again:)
        And where did @rbalonso find Alonso bashing/mocking posts is a mistery to me. Whole internet is filled only with praise for Fernando and rightly so. What is a bit sad that most of the praisers cannot enjoy Alonso’s great driving without diminishing Seb’s almost equally impressive perfomance. But tide of negative “it’s only the car” opinions seem to be vanishing slowly race by race as people who keep their eyes open finally start to see things as they are and not through the curtain of prejudice.

• mnmracer (@mnmracer) said on 13th November 2012, 12:31

People are just saying he should stop trying to talk himself up by claiming the Ferrari is a dog. Few, if any, are denying he deserves to win this title as well. But many, if not most, think he should stop his whining, stop his politics (we don’t need to hear how good Hamilton is and how bad Vettel is every other week) and just drive the damn car.

• I personally respect Alonso hugely @rbalonso . This doesn’t mean I like him or support him but means that I can admire his talent as a driver and acknowledge that he is one of (if not the best) driver on the grid. What I don’t understand is how the favour can’t be returned; that has baffled me.

I can understand that everyone has their own opinion and they have the right to voice it, all I ask is that respect is not broken. Comments such as the ones @david-a have stated are quite frankly pathetic.

• RBAlonso (@rbalonso) said on 13th November 2012, 15:58

(@david-a,@gilles) My impression is not that there has been a complete inverse in opinion. I just feel that when the field was seen to be ‘level’, Alonso was getting a lot of praise from everyone but since he’s made his Hamilton comments again and implied Vettel’s success is more due to Newey, he has not. His driving is at the same level in my opinion but I feel that recent updates to the car haven’t worked. Vettel’s fans have, quite rightly, became louder on this but I think that slating Fernando as a character is plain wrong. In practice in Abu Dhabi, Ferrari were the sixth fastest team. Are we to expect Fernando to be happy with this? Obviously not. We should not confuse brilliant driving over the distance with a great race car. Nor, should we assume that because the Ferrari has not won a race since the summer that the car is a dog. (@mnmracer)

(@vettel1) I think it comes down to the performance gap to rivals and at what point in the season one receives it. This I think is Vettel’s major image problem. In 2010 and this year, he was not at the top of the championship until he had a huge advantage for the last six rounds or so. I can not argue with Vettel’s skill, I think he will be in the top 5 best ever but that image combined with the finger obviously rile people.

• gilles (@gilles) said on 13th November 2012, 18:09

@rbalonso Well I think “fighting with Newey” comment was misunderstood by most. It was a clear message to Ferrari team to up their game, FA reminded them they are fighting against Newey and not Mike Gascoyne for example. Fernado himself has always been very respectful when talking about his oponents (that’s why I like him) – Schumacher, Vettel, Hamilton or Trulli. I do not remember any remarks from him that can be interpreted as somewhat devaluating rival drivers. Of course we don’t know what he really thinks but he’s clearly clever enough not to underate Vettel’s driving skill and determination, he learned all about it in 2010 after all. So those fans who suddenly started to criticize Alonso more only for his comments haven’t been following F1 long enough, maybe.
        But you have to admit that this sudden spark of love between Fernando and Hamilton is a bit strange. I find it very funny but there are people who gets pi##ed about it

• RBAlonso (@rbalonso) said on 13th November 2012, 19:08

@gilles. Yeah, I was pretty miffed when I first started hearing of this love affair. At first, I thought it was a clever ploy to alienate Ron Dennis as the principle factor in Alonso’s parting from McLaren. I have also read it as Alonso trying to use it as a way to justify himself as the best in F1. Although, that to me doesn’t stand to reason as atm Hamilton is not the benchmark. I think the reason Fernando is doing it is that he has had many controversies and does not like being portrayed as the villain. Casual fans perhaps think that Alonso and Hamilton hate each other and naturally support Lewis as the number one British driver. Alonso certainly has more fans since his arrival on twitter, which I don’t think should be overlooked. Also, Hamilton’s stock in Britain has depreciated due to his apparent desire to become a celebrity more than a racing driver. I say that because I always like the pre-politics characters of the drivers. If you look at Alonso and Hamilton in their first competitive seasons, they are rather timid and only want to race and to win. It’s funny how the high pressure environment shapes people.

6. I find the ongoing debate about Vettel quite amusing, lot`s of people feel the need to diminish him. I can understand why, you always try to play down the competitors that make your own “favourite” look less than great. I did the same in the Schumacher era, first I comforted myself by tellin myself that this wouldn`t have happened if Senna were still alive. Then I tried to convince myself that Hill, Villeneuve and Coulthard could defeat Schumacher on a regular basis, they couldn`t. Then came Hakkinen before he disappeared. Then I had to face reality.

The people who spend a lot of time trying to put Vettel down surely haven`t taken the time to ask themselves the following question: “Red Bull as a team at the moment have the luxury of being able to pick and choose most drivers in F1, but they prefer to keep Vettel. Why is that?”
    It`s because he`s got what they`re looking for. Talented, great work ethic, perfectionist, ability to get a car working for him, mental strenght (as shown in 2010) and a strong desire to win.

7. Timothy Katz (@timothykatz) said on 13th November 2012, 13:02

I really don’t this idea of ‘deserving’ at all. It’s a contest; one where the fellow with the most points gets the prize. It has nothing to do with any value-weighted concept of deserving or undeserving, who tried hardest or who wanted it most.
    It’s a bit like saying that Williams didn’t ‘deserve’ backing from AT&T or Spa doesn’t ‘deserve’ a corner called Pouhon. It has no meaning.

8. raymondu999 (@raymondu999) said on 13th November 2012, 13:05

As much as Alonso and Ferrari like to romanticise that they are valiantly getting 120% out of the car, the fact is that it’s a car that is sitting 2nd in the WCC table.

The fact that this car has been able to overcome its bad start to the season, and overtaken both McLaren and Lotus in the WCC standings since the European season, says a lot.

All this, despite their hideously underperforming number 2 driver.

Let’s not forget that Alonso was only 1 tenth slower than Vettel in Abu Dhabi towards the end of the race – despite Alonso’s medium tyres being 7 laps older than Vettel’s soft tyres, and that despite Vettel’s best efforts at a fastest lap in India – Alonso was actually faster.

• Exactly; anyone who still believes that the F2012 is a donkey of a prancing horse is very much mistaken. Without doubt they have had a net 3rd best car this year, it just so happens that they are second due to McLaren’s mistakes. The fact that they have managed to stay competitive against the likes of Lotus despite Massa’s lacklustre performance is a clear indication of the speed the Ferarri has had since Spain.

9. paolo (@paolo) said on 13th November 2012, 13:57

It is impossible to separate driver and car.

10. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 14th November 2012, 13:23

Interesting article on doping. F1 has never really struck me as a sport where this culture is the norm. There seems to be so little benefit to it because motorsport is so unlike any form of sport. As with everything in F1, one advantage comes to a disadvantage elsewhere. I think that doping tests should be stepped up as a matter of good practice.