Perez lets slip his Sauber successor is Gutierrez

F1 Fanatic round-up

Esteban Gutierrez, Sauber, Yas Marina, 2012In the round-up: Sergio Perez accidentally reveals Esteban Gutierrez will drive for Sauber in 2013.

Links

Top F1 links from the past 24 hours:

Perez spills the beans on Gutierrez race drive (Reuters)

“The car will be strong because the rules don’t change much, and the team have a good experienced driver in Nico [Hulkenberg] and he will have a strong team mate in Esteban [Gutierrez].”

All bets are off at season-ending Grand Prix (FT, registration rivals)

“For [Sao Paulo], the event should mean at least $120m in revenues and 10,000 temporary jobs. It is these attractive statistics that are likely to prompt Rio de Janeiro to launch a competing bid to host the Grand Prix after 2014.”

Acorda, Sao Paulo! (TotalRace, Portuguese)

This article suggests Bernie Ecclestone has been approached by another group looking to host the Brazilian Grand Prix – though he may be using this to persuade the Sao Paulo race organisers to commit to building new pit facilities at Interlagos.

Brazilian GP – Conference 1 (FIA)

Bruno Senna: “It?s been a very challenging season, lots of learning. We got some very good results and some tough races as well. Considering it was my first full year in Formula One, and with the small handicap of not doing free practice on Fridays, I think it?s been a pretty good year. In the end most of my races have been very strong. Just starting from a different position from where I should be starting has made me score less points than I could have had. In the end of the day it?s learning and you normally do much better on the second attempt at the same thing, so for sure there will be a lot of improvement to be done for next year.”

Mercedes to ditch new exhaust (Sky)

Norbert Haug: “We certainly, with hindsight, should have started much earlier with Coanda because it gives you a benefit – if you can manage it properly,” he said at the Brazilian Grand Prix on Thursday. We so far cannot, because we were late introducing it in Singapore.

Hamilton expecting to face win drought (Autosport)

“I never know when I’m going to have a car quite as good as this one, so I really hope this weekend I can utilise that. I hope we’re competitive enough to fight the Red Bulls.”

Burn Enters Formula 1 Racing (Burn)

Eric Boullier: “We are proud that The Coca-Cola Company [via burn] has chosen Lotus F1 Team as the best vehicle to represent the burn brand in its most high profile partnership.”

Button wants Alonso to win title (BBC)

“I said after the first race I don’t think he’s got a chance, and I didn’t think he did. He was a second off in qualifying, or even more. [Ferrari] have done a good job and he’s obviously done a great job as well.”

Sebastian Vettel arrives for F1 showdown with reliability concerns (The Guardian)

Christian Horner: “For sure, the alternator is a concern. It is the third failure we have had this year. It is something Renault need to get on top of this week.”

A round-up of tittle-tattle (Joe Saward)

“It is believed that Jules Bianchi and his supporters can raise around $4 million but Bruno Senna is probably able to raise $10-12 million and thus that would be better for [Force India], which should be OK financially thanks to TV money but may need some budget topping-up because of the lack of money available from Kingfisher Airlines.”

Button and Hamilton to be guarded by extra security at Brazilian GP after past troubles (Daily Mail)

“Button and Hamilton will be accompanied by a police escort and armoured vehicles on the 45-minute trip from the Interlagos track to their hotel.”

Did Piquet Jnr have a future in F1? (MotorSport)

“It was after that, of course, that the ‘Briatore affair’ came to light ?ǣ funny, that ?ǣ but some might suggest it should more properly be called the ‘Piquet affair': according to technical director Pat Symonds, after all, the idea came originally from Nelson Jnr…”

In 2010 Piquet Jnr gave a different version of events in that notorious weekend at Singapore.

Tweets

There’s a Facebook group for those in the Netherlands affected by their move away from free-to-air live F1 coverage.

Comment of the day

@Osbos has lots of useful links for those keeping an eye on the weather in Interlagos:

Some rain radars for Sao Paulo/Interlagos:

Ipmet
DSA
Redemet (use S??o Roque/SP)
Redemet (animated) (to enable cities, please use Cidades on the left of the window)
Simepar (to the west of Sao Paulo)
Note: these radars are not real-time, like meteoradar.co.uk.

I also have some links to satellite images of the region/Brazil:

Climatempo
Weather.com
Somar
@Osbos

From the forum

Happy birthday!

No F1 Fanatic birthdays today.

If you want a birthday shout-out tell us when yours is by emailling me, using Twitter or adding to the list here.

On this day in F1

Five years ago today evidence emerged detailed McLaren’s claim Renault had access to their intellectual property in 2006 and 2007.

The claim followed McLaren’s $100m fine from the FIA for using Ferrari intellectual property. However the FIA found no wrongdoing in the Renault case.

Image ?? Sauber F1 Team

Promoted content from around the web | Become an F1 Fanatic Supporter to hide this ad and others

Advert | Go Ad-free

97 comments on Perez lets slip his Sauber successor is Gutierrez

  1. Howard (@howard) said on 23rd November 2012, 11:51

    If Gutirez doesn’t prove to be worthy he will still stay in F1 regardless because of very obvious reasons.

  2. RBAlonso (@rbalonso) said on 23rd November 2012, 12:15

    I don’t think that HK is the greatest driver the world has ever seen but atm I think he is within the top 15 in the world. He has a wealth of experience at the front, middle and rear of the grid and has proven to be loyal to the team he drives for. In terms of off-track performance, he is clearly a hard-working lovely man and a PR dream. For these reasons I think it is rather unfair for him to be dropped.
    I think that he could still do a job at almost any team, solidly collecting points and helping a new talent come through. I feel Caterham should treat him with more respect. Charles Pic would certainly benefit with him as team-mate and HK must have had plenty of opportunities to leave and turned them down. I feel it’s a shame for the sport that a man linked to Ferrari 6 months ago is now facing time out due to lack of investment. Don’t get me wrong, if I was an investor I would take my money elsewhere, and Kovaleinen knows it, but sometimes we need to stay in the present rather than always looking to the future. This view has led to drivers with high potential sacked before their time (look no further than Toro Rosso) and with MS retiring and HRT going bust the average age will be considerably lower than it has been for a number of years. Perhaps the only way around it is introducing a budget cap but, the reality of the situation is that every driver must have serious backing and therefore we will lose out on seeing some great talent.

  3. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 23rd November 2012, 19:38

    Doesn’t strike me as a big deal about the Gutierrez/Kobayashi thing. It’s not like Kamui wouldn’t have known.

Add your comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

All comments must abide by the comment policy. Comments may be moderated.
Want to post off-topic? Head to the forum.
See the FAQ for more information.

Skip to toolbar