F1 Fanatic Predictions Championship won by Carpy3

Predictions Championship

Fernando Alonso, Jenson Button, Felipe Massa, Interlagos, 2012@Carpy3 had a low score in the final round of the Predictions Championship. But, like Sebastian Vettel, it was enough to secure overall victory.

The Brazilian round was won by @Andy2k12, who claims a 1976 Autocourse eBook as a prize.

Second place and a Grand Prix Heroes DVD went to James (@Spirals) and @SpinyNorman (best username ever) won an F1 poster from PJ Tierney for coming third.

Here are the predictions from the top ten players in the final round:

F1 Fanatic Predictions Championship 2012 - Brazil

PlayerPole TimePole1.2.3.4.5.Points
andy2k1201:12.378 HAMBUTALOMASHAMHUL31
spirals01:33.321 HAMBUTALOHAMWEBHUL31
spinynorman01:12.565 WEBBUTMASALOWEBHUL22
Surfinsoljah01:15.918 HAMHAMALOMASWEBBUT21
barkun01:13.695 HAMHAMALOMASWEBBUT21
Ritvik Vinodkumar01:13.492 HAMBUTALOVETWEBMAS21
stevieh7001:28.787 VETBUTHAMALOWEBHUL19
laura1201:12.376 VETVETALOMASWEBBUT19
HSVDT1501:12.799 VETHAMALOMASWEBBUT19
rb24601:12.678 HAMHAMALOMASVETHUL19

Lewis Hamilton was favourite for pole position, chosen by 62% of players. He was also the favourite to win but it was fourth-favourite Jenson Button, picked by 7.64%, who claimed victory.

2012 F1 Fanatic Predictions Championship overall prize winners

Grand prize: Two grandstands tickets to the 2013 British Grand Prix

Congratulations to @Carpy3 who will be attending the 2013 British Grand Prix at Silverstone with a friend with weekend tickets and grandstand seats for the race!

Second place prize: An F1 painting

@ZanteX won the second place prize after coming out on top in a tie-breaker* with @OEL-F1.

Runner-up prize: Racecar Engineering subscriptions

Five players win a year’s subscription to Racecer Engineering for finishing in positions three to seven. They are @OEL-F1, @Anakincarlos, @Hobbsy009, @Pratik007 and @Romain-from-Grenoble.

Racecar Engineering is the world?s leading motorsport technology magazine. Every issue is packed with in-depth features, interviews and analysis from Formula One, Le Mans and all forms racing and rallying.

Runner-up prize: Autocourse calendars

And five more players win a 2013 Autocourse Calendar. They are @Chrissylyn, @Durk, @Xabregas, @Lucamus and @Slowhand.

Commiserations to @Journeyer and @Rumfresh who were tied on points* for 12th place with Slowhand.

The Autocourse Grand Prix calendar contains images taken during the season of all the major players competing in the Formula One World Championship.

The images are high resolution and taken by one of the world’s leading Grand Prix photographers, the calendar is printed on art quality paper and comes with a stiffened backing board and shrink wrapped for protection.

2012 F1 Fanatic Predictions Championship results

See the updated points standings in full here:

Congratulations to everyone who won the 68 prizes that were given away in this year’s Predictions Championship. Over two thousand players took part during the course of the season – thanks to everyone who joined in, I hope you all had fun.

The competition will return again next year and I hope we’ll have more players and more prizes than ever before!

*Where a tie-breaker was needed, the player who had the highest individual score in a single round was picked.

2012 Brazilian Grand Prix

Browse all 2012 Brazilian Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Ferrari spa/Ercole Colombo

50 comments on F1 Fanatic Predictions Championship won by Carpy3

1. Journeyer (@journeyer) said on 27th November 2012, 13:23

That is just… painful. Absolutely painful. :( Couldn’t we all have just won? In any case, was thinking that the tiebreaker would be aggregate distance from pole based on the rules in the main competition page.

2. Mallesh Magdum (@malleshmagdum) said on 27th November 2012, 13:37

Congrats to my friend @pratik007 for winning. He entered the 2012 Championship after seeing me win the RBR Manual last season. So, for the second year in a row, an F1 fanatic from my city wins(very few ppl follow F1 here) :)

3. Mallesh Magdum (@malleshmagdum) said on 27th November 2012, 13:41

@keithcollantine isn’t it possible to earn points for pole time prediction in every race? In that way, nobody would ever be tied. 3 years back I had seen a site with such a scoring system.

4. psychy (@psychy) said on 27th November 2012, 13:54

Congrats to carpy3 for winning this great Prediction Championship! Well done!

5. OEL F1 (@oel-f1) said on 27th November 2012, 14:04

Have to say I’m very surprised that my low score was enough for me to hang on to a tied 2nd! Congratulations @ZanteX on winning the painting, it was close all year long! And of course, congratulations to @Carpy3 as well, on the relatively dominant championship win!

6. PJ (@pjtierney) said on 27th November 2012, 14:27

@SpinyNorman

Congrats on getting the last poster prize of the year :)

Have a look here for an in-stock A3 poster: http://shop.pjtierney.net/
    Let me know which one you want plus your name/address here: http://shop.pjtierney.net/contact

I’ll send out (by standard post) ASAP.

Quick note for everyone else; there’s very few copies left of each poster, so if you’ve been meaning to get one I recommend doing it soon before they run out. I’ve no plans for 2013 as of yet so who knows when you’ll see these again ;)

Finally, I want to thank @KeithCollantine for letting me be a part of this and promoting my artwork during the season. 2012 has been a great year (I did some work for Red Bull Racing, was a guest of Lotus at Silverstone and even made it into TopGear magazine) and I can only hope 2013 continues in the same fashion :)

7. OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 27th November 2012, 15:16

Thanks Keith for bringing the fans the oportunity to win prizes just for following our passion. I was skeptical at the beginning, to make my way among so many people who follow the contest every week. thanks to PJ for the great 20-flag poster I got, very far from where you are

Omar Roncal (Peru)

8. Eggry (@eggry) said on 27th November 2012, 15:54

Outside top 200! next year should be better.

9. Spiny Norman (@spinynorman) said on 27th November 2012, 16:01

It’s…..a poster prize from PJ Tierney!
    That’s awesome! Can’t believe it! Thank you so much! :)
    But I also can’t believe, that I put Massa in front of Alonso, I should have known that they would switch positions during the race. :P
    And now for something completely different: Do I get something for the best username ever? :D

10. Jayfreese (@) said on 27th November 2012, 16:09

I’m 458th scoring 79 points for my first year doing these predictions. It’s fun! I do it more for the pole lap prediction that the race result, even if it is what matters.

I’d like to have points for that: like the current F1 point system for the top 10 closest to pole time. It’ll be Indycar, lol.

Keith, could or would you improve how to find your name, rank and position in this championship, sometimes I’m looking for it during a while. Good job anyway, for the whole season pal.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 27th November 2012, 16:34

@jayfreese

I agree that’s something that could work better.

Good job anyway, for the whole season pal.

Thanks!

• JamieFranklinF1 (@jamiefranklinf1) said on 27th November 2012, 16:49

If you just go on to the standings page, then press CTRL+F and type your name in, it will instantly go to where you are located. Much easier than scanning through the entire page!

11. jimfaekillie (@jimfaekillie) said on 27th November 2012, 16:11

No prizes this year, outside the top 200, must do better in 2013!

12. Mallesh Magdum (@malleshmagdum) said on 27th November 2012, 16:15

@journeyer hard luck mate…..last year they had prizes upto 17th place. Nobody was tied last year. Probably F1F didnt have enough sponsors this year :(

13. claudioff (@claudioff) said on 27th November 2012, 16:50

Congratulations to Carpy3 and Andy2k12;

I did some statistics which I would like to share. My question was how importante are the free practices results for our prediction? I simply used FP1, FP2, FP3 and the previous race results as preditions and the numbers follow (I compiled them in a spread sheet):

FP1 – 89
    FP2- 135
    FP3- 113
    Previous race – 83

So the conclusions are obvious. The most important practice is, by far, FP2. The times obtained in FP1 and FP3 are pretty meaningless. This championship was really unpredictable, since that the results of the previous race had little impact in the results of the real race.

The FP2 “player” would reach the 63 th position which is much better than my position, 223 th, but still very fair from the highest score, 180, obtained by Carpy3.

• bosyber (@bosyber) said on 28th November 2012, 6:13

Good to know @claudioff, since I got even less result than you (but missed at least two race predictions, like to think that wound have counted ;) I should probably take that to heart next year, put in a “banker’ prediction after FP2, then later tweak it to fit my heart and screw them up that way!

And I think I consistently undervalued JB’s chances, need to fix that too.

14. JamieFranklinF1 (@jamiefranklinf1) said on 27th November 2012, 16:57

Improving on last year’s end from 289th to finishing this year’s season in 34th feels really good! Especially since I forgot to participate in one (possibly two) round/s. I think it feels even better as well considering just how unpredictable things were for at least half of the season.

Highlight of the year for me (within this Championship) has to be the Indian GP where I was able to score a perfect 50 points, though for next year, I’ll have to get an all round higher average and try and keep it in double figures more often than not!

Congrats to Carpy3 and the other winners!

15. schooner (@schooner) said on 27th November 2012, 17:13

Well, I cracked the top 30. Getting better!
    Fun season, and thanks to Keith for all the good work!