Which team has the best-looking car of 2013?

Debates and polls

With any racing car, all that really matters is how fast it goes.

But that doesn’t mean they can’t also look good. And the introduction of ‘vanity’ panels to cover up the unsightly stepped noses which appeared on last year’s cars has produced some better looking racers this year.

But which is the best? Have a look at all eleven of the 2013 contenders below and pick you favourite.

Red Bull-Renault RB9

Toro Rosso STR8

Caterham-Renault CT03

Caterham CT03, 2013

Marussia-Cosworth MR02

Marussia MR02, 2013

Over to you

Which team has the best-looking car this year? Cast your vote below.

Which is the best-looking car of 2013?

• Red Bull-Renault RB9 (3%)
  • Ferrari F138 (22%)
  • McLaren-Mercedes MP4-28 (16%)
  • Lotus-Renault E21 (7%)
  • Mercedes W04 (3%)
  • Sauber-Ferrari C32 (28%)
  • Force India-Mercedes VJM06 (3%)
  • Williams-Renault FW35 (5%)
  • Toro Rosso-Ferrari STR8 (3%)
  • Caterham-Renault CT03 (3%)
  • Marussia-Cosworth MR02 (7%)

Total Voters: 720

Loading ... Loading ...

Debates and polls

Browse all debates and polls

Images ?ι?® Various – see watermarks for details

133 comments on Which team has the best-looking car of 2013?

1 2 3 6
  1. Cyclops_PL (@cyclops_pl) said on 20th February 2013, 12:54

I’d say Ferrari, then Lotus and Caterham (love the metallic green!).

2. andae23 (@andae23) said on 20th February 2013, 12:55

Tough choice between Marussia and Sauber, but I voted for the latter.

3. Marian (@haffaniq) said on 20th February 2013, 12:55

Ferrari F138, rather different car compared with F2012 (at least best looking, but, hopefully, Ferrari might be very quick either).

4. bebilou (@bebilou) said on 20th February 2013, 12:55

It’s McLaren MP4-28, not W04.
    And the McLaren is, as often, the best looking car.

5. “McLaren-Mercedes W04″ …… !?

6. Ed Spencer (@espencer93) said on 20th February 2013, 12:58

McLaren-Mercedes W04? Pretty sure it’s the MP4-28

7. Atticus (@atticus-2) said on 20th February 2013, 12:58

Ferrari, Sauber, Caterham.

• Estesark (@estesark) said on 20th February 2013, 21:11

My three picks too. I might be inclined to put Caterham at the top if their nose was prettier. As it stands, Ferrari takes it.

This time last year I chose the Lotus, but I’m not a fan of the additional red, and it still has an ugly nose as well, so it’s fallen down the order this year.

8. jacobf90 (@jacobf90) said on 20th February 2013, 13:00

First time I caught a glimpse of the Ferrari I couldn’t help but say out loud ‘oooooo sexy nice’ but that Sauber pipped it for me, just. Doesn’t help that I’m biased against Ferrari though.

9. Marussia wins this hands down! They’ve had the best looking sinse they started in 2010 and I can’t see that changing tbh

10. frankus28 (@frankus28) said on 20th February 2013, 13:01

Caterham, a small team with a brilliant graphic designer… Almost makes up for the Alain Prost nose.

11. Alex Brown (@splittimes) said on 20th February 2013, 13:01

I voted Marussia. They have to win something!

12. AceofSpades (@aceofspades) said on 20th February 2013, 13:03

Wish I could vote for more than one team, but as it is, Sauber gets the vote from me.

13. matthewf1 (@) said on 20th February 2013, 13:03

Best car shape – McLaren
    Best car livery – Red Bull

Worst car shape – Williams
    Worst car livery – Lotus

14. matt90 (@matt90) said on 20th February 2013, 13:04

I’m quite surprised by the love for the Ferrari and Sauber. The Sauber isn’t bad, but the dent in the nose detracts. The Ferrari is plain ugly though- it has a stubby little nose, which isn’t helped by the front wing supports being too chunky, and it has the same knobbly humpback caused by the second inlet that it did last year. It’s a huge improvement from last year, but still pretty ugly bad to my eyes.

For me it was a toss-up between McLaren and Force India, with McLaren winning as I didn’t quite like the Force India’s nose as much from anything other than profile.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 20th February 2013, 13:13

The Marussia also wasn’t bad, but I struggled to look past the livery which I find isn’t very cohesive.

The Caterham reminds me too much of a caiman.
      The Toro Rosso, despite lovely sidepods, has a nose which is too sharp and square (the same problem as the Ferrari).
      Williams also has a nose that looks sawn off.
      The Mercedes is quite nice, but the nose isn’t quite right from most angles.
      Lotus has a nose which is too beak-like.
      The front of the Red Bull is crooked, and the purple hue makes the livery look too busy.
      McLaren could perhaps do with a slightly livened-up livery. Otherwise, it’s nice and simple, looks clean, and the stance looks very planted from the front (although the profile isn’t quite so nice).

• @matt90 – I keep thinking it’s like an ugly girl putting make-up on: it’s an improvement but still it’s not a thing of beauty to behold. The F2012 was an inherently ugly car and putting a vanity panel on it in my eyes doesn’t make it a pretty car. There are better ones out there, such as I think the Sauber (despite the half-step) and the McLaren.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 20th February 2013, 13:14

Not sure on the Sauber, but I fully agree with what you say about the Ferrari (maybe people just being relieved to see its not as ugly as last year?) @matt90. I also agree with you on the Force India, the orange nose is good looking but only from the profile.
      As for the Lotus, Caterham and or Red Bull (talking about broken looking noses), I have trouble understanding why people would vote for them on looks, even if the green is bright, the purple daring and the black and gold a classic.

Not decided yet, as I think Marussia is in with a good chance as well, so I will wait a bit before voting.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 20th February 2013, 13:20

@bascb One of the things I like about the Force India is the livery. It’s bright, and looks interesting and fast.
        I think another problem with the Sauber is that the livery is so much better than last year (that was really awful) that lots of people are drawn in. And it isn’t a bad livery. But it is pretty plain. Slightly bland even, compared to many of the others.

• Tastes differ. For example, I hate the shape of the Force India and really dislike the silver on the Mclaren and Merc. Ferrari’s style is raw and racey.

• Giuseppe (@giuseppe) said on 20th February 2013, 23:43

I agree regarding the Ferrari; it’s not as ugly as the 2012 car, but far from being good looking particularly around the front of the car. However, for some reason, I absolutely love the “dent” in the Sauber’s nose.

15. Arrrang (@arrrang) said on 20th February 2013, 13:08

@KeithCollantine One of the Williams car pictures show the 2012 car.

1 2 3 6