Two DRS zones for every track bar Monaco and Suzuka in 2013

2013 F1 season

Nico Rosberg, Mercedes, Circuit de Catalunya, 2013Almost every track on the F1 calendar this year will have two DRS zones, according to German magazine Auto Motor und Sport.

Monaco and Suzuka will be the only venues on this year’s calendar to have a single DRS zone.

As of this year, drivers are only allowed to use DRS in the designated zones at all times. The number of zones has been increased to ensure teams still exploit the benefit of having DRS, which is designed to facilitate overtaking.

The Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, which originally had two DRS zones but was cut back to one last year as it made overtaking too easy, will have two again.

The changes to the tracks are as follows:

Circuit 2012 DRS zone/s 2013 DRS zone/s
Albert Park Pit straight and second straight Pit straight and second straight
Sepang International Circuit Pit straight Pit straight and final straight
Shanghai International Circuit Longest straight Longest straight and pit straight
Bahrain International Circuit Pit straight Pit straight and straight to turn 11
Circuit de Catalunya Pit straight Pit straight and straight to turn ten
Monte-Carlo Pit straight Pit straight
Circuit Gilles Villeneuve Pit straight Pit straight and final straight
Silverstone Wellington straight Wellington straight and Hangar straight
Nurburgring* Straight before chicane Pit straight and straight before chicane
Hungaroring Pit straight Pit straight and second straight
Spa-Francorchamps Kemmel straight Kemmel straight and pit straight
Monza Pit straight and straight to Ascari Pit straight and straight to Ascari
Singapore Straight to turn seven Straight to turn seven and pit straight
Korean International Circuit Longest straight Longest straight and pit straight
Suzuka Pit straight Pit straight
Buddh International Circuit Pit straight and longest straight Pit straight and longest straight
Yas Marina Two longest straights Two longest straights
Circuit of the Americas Longest straight Longest straight and pit straight
Interlagos Reta Oposta straight Reta Oposta straight and pit straight

*Last used in 2011

Which tracks do you think need DRS zones? Vote here:

2013 F1 season

Browse all 2013 F1 season articles

Image ?? F1 Fanatic | f1fanatic.co.uk

138 comments on Two DRS zones for every track bar Monaco and Suzuka in 2013

1. Klon (@klon) said on 6th March 2013, 15:12

Well, I think some of the criticism is too much. Given that a pit-straight DRS zone only allows for overtaking if it follows another DRS zone (think Circuit Gilles Villeneuve) since a sole pit-straight DRS boost can be countered by KERS, as we have seen in the last two years, we only have a few tracks which actually have two DRS zones: Sepang, Montreal, Silverstone and Abu Dhabi – three tracks that need it, one that doesn’t. Not that bad a ratio I guess.

2. WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 6th March 2013, 15:12

Good idea, could be interesting. However I don’t see why there couldn’t be two in Monaco and Suzuka. OK, obviously the tunnel and the straight leading to 130R are unsuitable, but at Monaco what’s wrong with a short DRS zone between the swimming pool chicane and taback? There would be no overtaking there, but it would help cars to stay close to each other through the high speed second half of the lap and potentially put them in a position to overtake on the pit straight. And at Suzuka the concertina effect seen between “Kobayashi corner” and Spoon can be attributed to the shortage of overtakes there, so a DRS zone along the curved straight between those corners would equally aid the chances of overtaking along the pit straight. I think the FIA need to view DRS not simply as tool for blasting past the car ahead, but also a way of keeping the offensive car nailed to the gearbox of the car ahead, thus providing an overtaking opportunity at some of the more “follow-my-lead” tracks.

3. Jason (@jason12) said on 6th March 2013, 15:43

Don’t allow him to get as close as a sec behind you…
    If you can’t stop that then let him pass, without messing up his strategy!

• Mark Hitchcock (@mark-hitchcock) said on 6th March 2013, 16:22

That’s the worst thing about DRS, the defending driver can’t….defend.
      Some of the most exciting racing happens when the driver in front is slower, but is driving fantastically to keep the faster car behind.
      Racing isn’t all about overtaking. F1 (and a lot of F1 fans) seem to have forgotten that.

4. Dizzy said on 6th March 2013, 15:47

People talk about how great DRS is & how much its added to the excitement, Yet how has it?
    All of the DRS passing have been totally boring & unexciting to watch, so in that regard DRS has added nothing to make f1 more exiting, Its actually done the opposite.

We have seen the past 2 years that all the real overtaking (The exciting stuff) had happened well outside the DRS zone & all the ‘top overtakes of 2011/2012′ were overtakes which had zero to do with DRS.

By making more DRS zones there simply going to generate more of the boring DRS drive-by’s & less of the real overtaking which is actually exciting to watch.

Lets for an example take the new Texas circuit there was some brilliant racing into & exiting turn 1, Add a DRS zone on the start/finish straght & all its going to do is ensure passing is completed before the braking zone so were going to lose the sort of good racing we saw into turn 1 last year.

This may honestly be the final straw for me, I hate DRS & have hated every single DRS-generated pass i’ve had to sit through the past 2 years so having to watch even more boringly easy DRS drive-By’s is just going to see me get less excitement out of the races & that will just see me turn them off!

Even worse for me is that I won’t even be able to watch Indycar this year with its move to ESPN :(

5. tmax (@tmax) said on 6th March 2013, 16:01

I am not the biggest fan of DRS. one DRS zone was okay. It added the needed spice and flavor to the race but I guess 2 will make it very spicy :)

@keithcollantine I never understood the rationale of taking away the DRS from Qualifying…. Was this done to slow down vettel during qualifying and therefore not running away with pole and the race :) ?

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 6th March 2013, 16:42

@tmax “apparently” it was on the grounds of safety, as drivers “expressed a concern” over the hazards posed by it. I am yet to buy that excuse though, because it is a driver operated device so therefore any mistakes are driver error.

I think the true reason for it’s restriction is probably closer to what you have said!

• tmax (@tmax) said on 6th March 2013, 16:52

Hmm Safety… That was interesting. I thought Drivers always wanted more speed. Again as you said it is upto the drivers to ensure how safe they operate their machinery.

On the other hand I think Red bull might have more to lose compared to others with this New DRS qualifying rule.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 6th March 2013, 17:18

@tmax Apparently several of the drivers asked for it on safety grounds.

Mark Webber was among those pushing for the ban and he said recently the drivers were “virtually unanimous” in asking for it. I seem to remember reading an interview with Raikkonen recently where he said he was for it as well.

Among those who were against it was Lewis Hamilton.

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 6th March 2013, 17:23

@keithcollantine – I suppose we have to take their word for it, they are the ones driving the cars after all. But I fail to see how it is much more dangerous than having KERS or a throttle pedal in all honesty…

• JB (@) said on 6th March 2013, 17:31

I guess we have to @vettel1 , @keithcollantine but it seems we can all agree the reason behind it all… eh Keith??

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 6th March 2013, 22:16

I do find it to be more than just a coincidence though that Hamilton (known to be a good qualifier) objected to the change, unlike Webber for example (who just so happens to be Vettel’s teammate). Again though, we have to take their word for it.

• MJ4 said on 6th March 2013, 17:35

The throttle pedal is actually more dangerous. It should be allowed to be used only uphill.

6. StefMeister (@stefmeister) said on 6th March 2013, 16:01

Looking through some of the locations for the new zones, Why do we need a DRS zone into turn 1 at Austin? There was plenty of great racing & overtaking there last year!

One down the start/finish straght at Interlagos, Why?

Do they want every pass to be done via DRS because thsts whats going to end up happening!

• Timothy Katz (@timothykatz) said on 6th March 2013, 16:26

Perhaps both of these new DRS zones on start/finish straights have more to do with a possible increase in grandstand costs.
      Is this a method of giving the circuits a bit more earning power?

7. Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 6th March 2013, 16:21

Unless it is entirely on the ground of safety, I can’t see why Suzuka is thought to only have one DRS zone. From Spoon up to 130R is a straight of more than sufficient length to merit it’s use, and an attempted overtake into 130R would be utterly thrilling to watch! Again though it may be a safety hazard, and so I respect the decision of that is the case.

8. Michael Brown (@) said on 6th March 2013, 16:43

Yes, these new rules are making racing a bit more artificial and gimmicky (personally I like the way the tires work), but DRS, while not perfect, is still better than not having it. In the off season I decided to watch the 2000 and 2007 season. I remember falling asleep during Monza 2000 at the beginning and waking up 5 laps from the end with no change, unless it was due to reliability problems. All the cars did was follow each other around until the pit stops, where the car behind would set faster laps to get ahead.

You can’t argue with a straight face that races without DRS have been more exciting. How do you feel watching a much faster car being unable to pass a slower car? How about when David Coulthard said that you had to be 5 seconds faster to pass in Imola?

• Dizzy said on 6th March 2013, 17:03

I think they were.

I can remember loads of exciting Pre-DRS races & for all the whining about no passing, 2010 featured more on-track overtaking than any season since 1989 so overtaking was clearly possible Pre-DRS.

Regarding Monza 2000, There was plenty of good racing & overtaking in that race, However remember that a lot of good cars crashed on lap 1 so there wasn’t as much as there likely would have been.

As I said above, what excitement does DRS provide when every DRS pass is so easy that its boring to watch?
      DRS add’s no excitement, It just produces easy, boring & totally unexciting drive-by highway passes.
      No wonder no DRS pass has appeared on anyone’s top overtakes list the past 2 years.

All extra DRS zones will do is eliminate the real overtakes & increase the number of boring DRS drive-by’s, That isn’t improving the racing, Its killing the racing!!!!

9. Peter_GH said on 6th March 2013, 17:05

I am genuinely furious over this, There should be less DRS & not more of it.

DRS already makes passing far too easy most of the time so having double the DRS zones will only end with more easy passing :(

10. Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 6th March 2013, 17:20

Some are good additions. That way at least they won’t wait until THAT only zone to make a move.

Some are not good additions. Having too many DRS zones often produces a sort of waiting game that’s just stupid. I mean, it’s the 2011 Korean GP effect: Webber overtaking Hamilton at the first DRS, Hamilton overtaking Webber in the 2nd (easily).

I mean, for example Sepang. The 2 DRS zones are almost identical, the only difference is the corner they preceed (first a harpin, then a rather open right hander). What’s the point of overtaking into the harpin if you have an ENORMOUS straight after that, with your rival presumably right up your gearbox and DRS available?

It’d either be meaningless (one pass after the other). Or they’d have to back out, wait for the harpin and then make a boring, mid-straight pass.

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 6th March 2013, 17:23

Not to mention that adding more DRS zones they are virtually killing off opportunities for a well-fought DRS-free overtaking spot.

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 6th March 2013, 17:26

@fer-no65 – I feel it is to make up for the now restricted DRS use in qualifying (to entice the teams to still pay more attention to it) but my response to that is why restrict it in the first place?

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 6th March 2013, 18:19

@vettel1 I know that, I understand. DRS in qualyfing and practice really seemed like a waste of time.

I didn’t see the point of it.

Maybe they are thinking ahead realizing that overtakings will be a lot harder because teams won’t set the cars to maximize DRS use during qualifying. But still… DRS should help drivers at places where overtaking is difficult, not at the most obvious places. The last harpin at Sepang has always been a good overtaking spot…

11. mhop (@mhop) said on 6th March 2013, 17:30

I presume this means two detection points per lap as well? Surely?

Seriously have they confirmed that? If not and the two DRS zones are going to continue to operate from the same detection point I truly despair.

DRS is increasingly drawing Formula 1 down a very dark path. This kind of gimmickry is the thin end of a very bad wedge. I don’t know if we’ll ever go back to real racing.

12. yolo said on 6th March 2013, 17:35

drs zones should be EVERYWHERE, like in qualifying

13. Roberto (@alphakaso) said on 6th March 2013, 17:54

This would definitively kill REAL overtakes. I can’t stand this :(

14. Frost_Byte_94 (@frost_byte_94) said on 6th March 2013, 17:59

The news about Circuit Gilles Villeneuve concerns me. I attended the race in 2011 and may be going again this year, and can only hope that the new qualifying rules restricting DRS use mean the teams will use shorter gears that may offset the ease of overtaking as seen in the past. Although i do prefer the final straight/pit straight combination as opposed to the straight to hairpin/final straight combination of 2011

15. I really dont know if this is going to be a good or bad thing. On one hand it makes getting that 1 second lead absolutely vital so the driver in front will push like crazy, on the other hand it could just lead to stupidity. I dont know about everyone else but I get more of my seat with over taking on corners than straights. That’s when you really get to see the nerve and skill of the driver on display.

My major concern is if the drivers just give up on attempting any overtaking during corners and just wait for the DRS zones.

Trying to block a move on straight, you can defend your position once, its near on impossible.

Some circuits you could definitely justify it for, Circuit de Catalunya springs to mind.

I still dont know if the reports are true or not. I will wait to hear the official word on it.

16. Jared H (@thejaredhuang) said on 6th March 2013, 19:18

I think DRS has been a very good addition to the sport. How many times have you seen a driver that has been passed with DRS re-pass the previous driver? Besides the tracks where the DRS zones are in succession (e.g. Abu Dhabi) its quite rare. This just goes to show that the driver that got pass was slower and had they been in a car with less downforce like a touring car they would have been passed anyways.

By the way, Singapore’s 2nd DRS zone on the pit straight is completely ridiculous like another poster said. It should be on the straight after the hairpin where Massa passed last year after turn 13.

Suzuka should definitely have a DRS zone leading up to Spoon Curve after the hairpin. The pit straight one is ok although it might be a little short. You can’t put one before 130r because most cars can’t handle going through 130r with DRS open in 7th.

Pit straight DRS on Spa is pretty much suicide as you’re certainly going to be passed on Kemmel, they should put it after Stavelot but Blanchimont is quite challenging with DRS open.

17. NickTheGeek (@nickthegeek) said on 6th March 2013, 19:47

Maybe you can use DRS anywhere in the race but each driver only gets a certain amount per race? could be quite interesting from a tactics point of view. It wouldnt only need to be used for overtaking, it could be used to close a gap.

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 6th March 2013, 21:45

@nickthegeek – I could accept that: an almost P2P-like system so that drivers can choose to defend if they so wish. It would eliminate the current unfair advantage gained by the trailing driver.

18. Roger2012 said on 6th March 2013, 21:22

In which case I will not be watching F1 this year.

DRS is starting to have far too big an influence on the racing, Watching drivers not wanting to pass into the hairpin at Montreal, Intentionally backing off when they could have pulled off an overtake to make sure they were in the DRS zone down the next straght was a complete joke to watch from the grandstand down there.

I want to see more Non-DRS overtaking & not more DRS-ing, By adding more DRS zones your just going to get more DRS-ing & less real racing.

What do they want, For all overtakes to be achieved via DRS?
    For every pass to be so easy its no longer exciting to watch?
    Maybe they just want every pass to be done easily on the straights via DRS to try & prevent drivers actually having to try & pull off a real overtake & risk a collision.

DRS-ing isn’t racing, It isn’t fun, It isn’t entertaining & I am no longer willing to put up with it!
    Goodby F1, Its been a fun 35yrs but you are now dead to me!!!!

19. Emma_LN said on 6th March 2013, 21:41

I was open on DRS when it was introduced & quite supportive of it to begin with, However I’ve turned firmly against it over the past year & am gutted about them moving to 2 zones for this year, Especially on tracks that don’t really need any.

DRS was sold to us as a temporary thing which would only work as an ‘overtaking assist’, We were told that DRS would not generate passes & would only ever work to assist a chasing driver to pull alongside the car he was trying to get by.

Well 2 years later, No sign of it been temporary, Everything indicates that it will be around long-term & will only get more effective.
    And rather than just be an ‘assist’, It often seems to generate passes & leave the car been passed unable to even attempt to defend.

I’ve grown real tired the past 2 seasons of watching cars get into the drs zone, push a button & then be driven clean past well before they even think about braking & i’ve grown real tired of DRS been as big an influence on passing as it has become.

If drs was simply acting as an assist, if the passing it was assisting was still fun to watch & if drs was having a smaller role in the races i would probably still be in support of it, However since the opposite of all is happening i have turned as i say firmly against it.

Regarding the 2 zones, why do we need 2 zones? If the zone we already have is already too effective on a lot of circuits & if the passing its generating is already too easy, why add a 2nd zone where we will perhaps see more of the same?
    I would rather they look at making drs less effective & less of an influence rather than maybe making it more effective & more of an influence via more zones, especially where not needed.

20. sato113 (@sato113) said on 6th March 2013, 21:58

perhaps they’ve misunderstood and that the drs can be used in 2 zones during practice and qualy but only on 1 drs zone during the race. this would limit drs overtake but still persuade teams to use long gear ratios for best qualy time (like last year).
    how could the fia leak this info anyway?