Two DRS zones for every track bar Monaco and Suzuka in 2013

2013 F1 season

Nico Rosberg, Mercedes, Circuit de Catalunya, 2013Almost every track on the F1 calendar this year will have two DRS zones, according to German magazine Auto Motor und Sport.

Monaco and Suzuka will be the only venues on this year’s calendar to have a single DRS zone.

As of this year, drivers are only allowed to use DRS in the designated zones at all times. The number of zones has been increased to ensure teams still exploit the benefit of having DRS, which is designed to facilitate overtaking.

The Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, which originally had two DRS zones but was cut back to one last year as it made overtaking too easy, will have two again.

The changes to the tracks are as follows:

Circuit 2012 DRS zone/s 2013 DRS zone/s
Albert Park Pit straight and second straight Pit straight and second straight
Sepang International Circuit Pit straight Pit straight and final straight
Shanghai International Circuit Longest straight Longest straight and pit straight
Bahrain International Circuit Pit straight Pit straight and straight to turn 11
Circuit de Catalunya Pit straight Pit straight and straight to turn ten
Monte-Carlo Pit straight Pit straight
Circuit Gilles Villeneuve Pit straight Pit straight and final straight
Silverstone Wellington straight Wellington straight and Hangar straight
Nurburgring* Straight before chicane Pit straight and straight before chicane
Hungaroring Pit straight Pit straight and second straight
Spa-Francorchamps Kemmel straight Kemmel straight and pit straight
Monza Pit straight and straight to Ascari Pit straight and straight to Ascari
Singapore Straight to turn seven Straight to turn seven and pit straight
Korean International Circuit Longest straight Longest straight and pit straight
Suzuka Pit straight Pit straight
Buddh International Circuit Pit straight and longest straight Pit straight and longest straight
Yas Marina Two longest straights Two longest straights
Circuit of the Americas Longest straight Longest straight and pit straight
Interlagos Reta Oposta straight Reta Oposta straight and pit straight

*Last used in 2011

Which tracks do you think need DRS zones? Vote here:

2013 F1 season

Browse all 2013 F1 season articles

Image ?é?® F1 Fanatic | f1fanatic.co.uk

138 comments on Two DRS zones for every track bar Monaco and Suzuka in 2013

1. JB (@) said on 6th March 2013, 13:50

I totally disagree with this news because it totally anhialates the fact that drs was banned during qualy in the sectors where it is not permitted So this is basically saying…. that they are going to have 2 sectors where they can use it for qualy! So much for erasing some team´s advantages!
    There is no need for 2 zones in all tracks because the whole idea of the pirelli tyres is to have higher grip… therefore cars can be closer together because of this and will ultimately traduce itself in proper racing so why 2 zones?
    I have my opinion but will not say it so that i don´t create controversy but all in all, this is very sad news for F1…

• tmekt (@tmekt) said on 6th March 2013, 14:20

What the heck are you talking about? There was no restrictions with DRS use in quali last year…

Some teams got an advantage in quali because their car produced more downforce and they could use DRS in some places that other teams with lower downforce couldn’t. This advantage will go away because they are now restricting the use of DRS in quali also.

• JB (@) said on 6th March 2013, 14:53

@tmekt

Dude, I think you don´t understand what I mean… 2013 was to see the ban on drs use in qualy. It could be use only in the designated DRS zone… now, with this news of there being 2 DRS zones in every race, it means that teams will be able to use DRS in 2 zones during qualy and THAT is what I´m ticked off about. The idea of eliminating DRS on “safety purposes” was being taken to take away a certain team´s advantage during qualy(we all know that´s the truth in the end really)…. and it´s a crock of **** now that they say every race is going to have 2 zones… kind of destroys the whole purpose around eliminating DRS during qualy except for the designated zone… So much for playing on an even flatter field…. It seems that the lack of pace shown by some in testing has triggered this defense mechanism (even though we can´t surely put our finger on who´s quick or not, the teams certainly know!).

I hope I made myself clearer this time!

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 6th March 2013, 15:21

@catracho504

The idea of eliminating DRS on “safety purposes” was being taken to take away a certain team’s advantage during qualy (we all know that’s the truth in the end really)

No it wasn’t, that’s just what you wanted it to be.

• JB (@) said on 6th March 2013, 17:24

No it wasn’t, that’s just what you wanted it to be.

How is that something that I wanted it to be @keithcollantine ???
            It was thouroughly discussed in the forum that everybody felt it was an unfair decision by the fia to do that because of “safety measures”… I believe you even said it yourself that RBR would lose advantage of this because they could exploit their downforce in corners… I might be wrong but I believe you said this too.
            If you want to acuse me of anything… acuse me of wanting an even flatter playing field… and if it meant limiting the amount of drs used in qualy, well so be it… but I honestly don´t feel it was done just on safety purposes… Just like michelin wasn´t allowed to introduce new tyres back in the tyre war days…

• tmekt (@tmekt) said on 6th March 2013, 17:12

@catracho504

I knew this already thanks. They are restricting DRS in quali for this season. You however said this in your original post:

Incorrect. Teams could previously use DRS unrestrictedly in qualification.

Well the purpose was and is to make it safer so that drivers won’t have to look for the boundaries which could potentially lead to dangerous accidents. And that’s still happening.

What’s also still happening is that the supposed benefit Red Bull could gain and other teams couldn’t will go away. Their car produced more downforce and they could use DRS in some places that other teams with lower downforce couldn’t and because the use of DRS was unrestricted, they were able to benefit from this in qualifications. These places were in corners because on straights every car was able to open their DRS without losing control.

This advantage (see above) Red Bull had will now be eliminated by the fact that they can now only use DRS in the specified DRS zones in quali.

• JB (@) said on 6th March 2013, 17:49

Incorrect. Teams could previously use DRS unrestrictedly in qualification.

Okay, I see what you mean…. sorry about that. It´s just that sometimes I get all worked up about something and have a hard time transmitting my idea… Sorry for that. All I can say is that the english language is my second language so sorry.

I beg to differ… How will it be a disadvantage if they will still be able to use it on the straight right before the 130 R?? Same will apply to any corner in which follows a long straight… That in qualy…. what about in the actual race?? Anybody who isn´t quick enough… (RBR) will be able to further benefit from it…

2. Bookoi (@bookoi) said on 6th March 2013, 13:52

I wish they’d just drop the zones altogether.

Give every driver 100 seconds of DRS use to use as he sees fit during the race. The DRS would still add excitement to the ‘show’ and we’d have a fairer system that showcases drivers with strong tactical minds.

Go for broke in the opening laps or play the long game? Use DRS to defend or save it knowing you can strike back later? Attack the battling pair in front or keep pace while they both use up their allowance?

Sounds much more fun than motorway passes to me.

• Well said! I was just thinking of something similar…

• Christopher (@twiinzspeed) said on 6th March 2013, 14:24

I like that idea. It would be similar to Kers. If the driver is tactical, they gain an advantage. Great thought. :)

• tmekt (@tmekt) said on 6th March 2013, 14:31

I’ve been thinking the same thing for a long time. Don’t some of the lower classes already use this system where you can use DRS only a few times during the race and that’s it?

• Bookoi (@bookoi) said on 6th March 2013, 14:36

Yes, Formula Renault 3.5 used this system for their adjustable rear wing last season I believe.

A1GP also had an allowance-type system where you had just eight KERS-style boosts to use during a race. On-screen graphics covered how many uses each driver had left. It was always exciting seeing a driver with eight following a driver that had blasted through it all in the first few laps!

• craig-o (@craig-o) said on 6th March 2013, 15:41

@bookoi They have an on/off similar idea in IndyCar, and I don’t really think it has a great deal of an impact on the racing for the most part. The problem with that idea, is it will be used then as a tool to defend, which is not the idea of DRS, it’s a tool for attacking. Anyway, from 2014 teams will be able to use ERS (the evolution of KERS) for up to a third or half a lap in some cases.

• Cryptowillem (@cryptowillem) said on 6th March 2013, 17:30

Last year, Indycar tried to minimize the use of their Push-2-Pass (P2P) system for defensive use by introducing a delay on it. Once you pressed the button, your P2P wouldn’t activate for a few seconds after that. The idea was that if you were the defending driver, and you saw someone coming up quickly behind you, even if you did use the P2P, it wouldn’t activate for a couple seconds, by which time, the attacking driver would be past you already.

A couple problems with that idea, though. Drivers had to anticipate when the engine would start producing more power in order to get on the button soon enough. And the racing was kinda boring. When they removed the delay, I’d say racing did get better.

Overall, I think the P2P in Indycar was successful when there were fewer restrictions. Also, it’s more like KERS than it is like DRS.

• Jason (@jason12) said on 6th March 2013, 15:49

Give every driver 100 seconds of DRS use to use as he sees fit during the race

Use DRS to defend

I like strikers not defenders :D

3. Brian (@bealzbob) said on 6th March 2013, 14:23

Artificial overtaking is here to stay. I suppose it’s a lot simpler than coming up with design rules that make overtaking inherently possible by limiting the amount of dirty air when following a car closely. Booooo-urns.

4. tmekt (@tmekt) said on 6th March 2013, 14:29

I quite like that some of the zones are quite short. Might actually produce more “natural” overtakes in some places if DRS only gets you a bit closer instead of the usual motorway overtaking.

5. Ben (@scuderia29) said on 6th March 2013, 15:00

horrible news

6. Klon (@klon) said on 6th March 2013, 15:12

Well, I think some of the criticism is too much. Given that a pit-straight DRS zone only allows for overtaking if it follows another DRS zone (think Circuit Gilles Villeneuve) since a sole pit-straight DRS boost can be countered by KERS, as we have seen in the last two years, we only have a few tracks which actually have two DRS zones: Sepang, Montreal, Silverstone and Abu Dhabi – three tracks that need it, one that doesn’t. Not that bad a ratio I guess.

7. WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 6th March 2013, 15:12

Good idea, could be interesting. However I don’t see why there couldn’t be two in Monaco and Suzuka. OK, obviously the tunnel and the straight leading to 130R are unsuitable, but at Monaco what’s wrong with a short DRS zone between the swimming pool chicane and taback? There would be no overtaking there, but it would help cars to stay close to each other through the high speed second half of the lap and potentially put them in a position to overtake on the pit straight. And at Suzuka the concertina effect seen between “Kobayashi corner” and Spoon can be attributed to the shortage of overtakes there, so a DRS zone along the curved straight between those corners would equally aid the chances of overtaking along the pit straight. I think the FIA need to view DRS not simply as tool for blasting past the car ahead, but also a way of keeping the offensive car nailed to the gearbox of the car ahead, thus providing an overtaking opportunity at some of the more “follow-my-lead” tracks.

8. Jason (@jason12) said on 6th March 2013, 15:43

Don’t allow him to get as close as a sec behind you…
    If you can’t stop that then let him pass, without messing up his strategy!

• Mark Hitchcock (@mark-hitchcock) said on 6th March 2013, 16:22

That’s the worst thing about DRS, the defending driver can’t….defend.
      Some of the most exciting racing happens when the driver in front is slower, but is driving fantastically to keep the faster car behind.
      Racing isn’t all about overtaking. F1 (and a lot of F1 fans) seem to have forgotten that.

9. Dizzy said on 6th March 2013, 15:47

People talk about how great DRS is & how much its added to the excitement, Yet how has it?
    All of the DRS passing have been totally boring & unexciting to watch, so in that regard DRS has added nothing to make f1 more exiting, Its actually done the opposite.

We have seen the past 2 years that all the real overtaking (The exciting stuff) had happened well outside the DRS zone & all the ‘top overtakes of 2011/2012′ were overtakes which had zero to do with DRS.

By making more DRS zones there simply going to generate more of the boring DRS drive-by’s & less of the real overtaking which is actually exciting to watch.

Lets for an example take the new Texas circuit there was some brilliant racing into & exiting turn 1, Add a DRS zone on the start/finish straght & all its going to do is ensure passing is completed before the braking zone so were going to lose the sort of good racing we saw into turn 1 last year.

This may honestly be the final straw for me, I hate DRS & have hated every single DRS-generated pass i’ve had to sit through the past 2 years so having to watch even more boringly easy DRS drive-By’s is just going to see me get less excitement out of the races & that will just see me turn them off!

Even worse for me is that I won’t even be able to watch Indycar this year with its move to ESPN :(

10. tmax (@tmax) said on 6th March 2013, 16:01

I am not the biggest fan of DRS. one DRS zone was okay. It added the needed spice and flavor to the race but I guess 2 will make it very spicy :)

@keithcollantine I never understood the rationale of taking away the DRS from Qualifying…. Was this done to slow down vettel during qualifying and therefore not running away with pole and the race :) ?

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 6th March 2013, 16:42

@tmax “apparently” it was on the grounds of safety, as drivers “expressed a concern” over the hazards posed by it. I am yet to buy that excuse though, because it is a driver operated device so therefore any mistakes are driver error.

I think the true reason for it’s restriction is probably closer to what you have said!

• tmax (@tmax) said on 6th March 2013, 16:52

Hmm Safety… That was interesting. I thought Drivers always wanted more speed. Again as you said it is upto the drivers to ensure how safe they operate their machinery.

On the other hand I think Red bull might have more to lose compared to others with this New DRS qualifying rule.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 6th March 2013, 17:18

@tmax Apparently several of the drivers asked for it on safety grounds.

Mark Webber was among those pushing for the ban and he said recently the drivers were “virtually unanimous” in asking for it. I seem to remember reading an interview with Raikkonen recently where he said he was for it as well.

Among those who were against it was Lewis Hamilton.

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 6th March 2013, 17:23

@keithcollantine – I suppose we have to take their word for it, they are the ones driving the cars after all. But I fail to see how it is much more dangerous than having KERS or a throttle pedal in all honesty…

• JB (@) said on 6th March 2013, 17:31

I guess we have to @vettel1 , @keithcollantine but it seems we can all agree the reason behind it all… eh Keith??

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 6th March 2013, 22:16

I do find it to be more than just a coincidence though that Hamilton (known to be a good qualifier) objected to the change, unlike Webber for example (who just so happens to be Vettel’s teammate). Again though, we have to take their word for it.

• MJ4 said on 6th March 2013, 17:35

The throttle pedal is actually more dangerous. It should be allowed to be used only uphill.

11. StefMeister (@stefmeister) said on 6th March 2013, 16:01

Looking through some of the locations for the new zones, Why do we need a DRS zone into turn 1 at Austin? There was plenty of great racing & overtaking there last year!

One down the start/finish straght at Interlagos, Why?

Do they want every pass to be done via DRS because thsts whats going to end up happening!

• Timothy Katz (@timothykatz) said on 6th March 2013, 16:26

Perhaps both of these new DRS zones on start/finish straights have more to do with a possible increase in grandstand costs.
      Is this a method of giving the circuits a bit more earning power?

12. Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 6th March 2013, 16:21

Unless it is entirely on the ground of safety, I can’t see why Suzuka is thought to only have one DRS zone. From Spoon up to 130R is a straight of more than sufficient length to merit it’s use, and an attempted overtake into 130R would be utterly thrilling to watch! Again though it may be a safety hazard, and so I respect the decision of that is the case.

13. Yes, these new rules are making racing a bit more artificial and gimmicky (personally I like the way the tires work), but DRS, while not perfect, is still better than not having it. In the off season I decided to watch the 2000 and 2007 season. I remember falling asleep during Monza 2000 at the beginning and waking up 5 laps from the end with no change, unless it was due to reliability problems. All the cars did was follow each other around until the pit stops, where the car behind would set faster laps to get ahead.

You can’t argue with a straight face that races without DRS have been more exciting. How do you feel watching a much faster car being unable to pass a slower car? How about when David Coulthard said that you had to be 5 seconds faster to pass in Imola?

• Dizzy said on 6th March 2013, 17:03

I think they were.

I can remember loads of exciting Pre-DRS races & for all the whining about no passing, 2010 featured more on-track overtaking than any season since 1989 so overtaking was clearly possible Pre-DRS.

Regarding Monza 2000, There was plenty of good racing & overtaking in that race, However remember that a lot of good cars crashed on lap 1 so there wasn’t as much as there likely would have been.

As I said above, what excitement does DRS provide when every DRS pass is so easy that its boring to watch?
      DRS add’s no excitement, It just produces easy, boring & totally unexciting drive-by highway passes.
      No wonder no DRS pass has appeared on anyone’s top overtakes list the past 2 years.

All extra DRS zones will do is eliminate the real overtakes & increase the number of boring DRS drive-by’s, That isn’t improving the racing, Its killing the racing!!!!

14. Peter_GH said on 6th March 2013, 17:05

I am genuinely furious over this, There should be less DRS & not more of it.

DRS already makes passing far too easy most of the time so having double the DRS zones will only end with more easy passing :(

15. Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 6th March 2013, 17:20

Some are good additions. That way at least they won’t wait until THAT only zone to make a move.

Some are not good additions. Having too many DRS zones often produces a sort of waiting game that’s just stupid. I mean, it’s the 2011 Korean GP effect: Webber overtaking Hamilton at the first DRS, Hamilton overtaking Webber in the 2nd (easily).

I mean, for example Sepang. The 2 DRS zones are almost identical, the only difference is the corner they preceed (first a harpin, then a rather open right hander). What’s the point of overtaking into the harpin if you have an ENORMOUS straight after that, with your rival presumably right up your gearbox and DRS available?

It’d either be meaningless (one pass after the other). Or they’d have to back out, wait for the harpin and then make a boring, mid-straight pass.

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 6th March 2013, 17:23

Not to mention that adding more DRS zones they are virtually killing off opportunities for a well-fought DRS-free overtaking spot.

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 6th March 2013, 17:26

@fer-no65 – I feel it is to make up for the now restricted DRS use in qualifying (to entice the teams to still pay more attention to it) but my response to that is why restrict it in the first place?

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 6th March 2013, 18:19

@vettel1 I know that, I understand. DRS in qualyfing and practice really seemed like a waste of time.

I didn’t see the point of it.

Maybe they are thinking ahead realizing that overtakings will be a lot harder because teams won’t set the cars to maximize DRS use during qualifying. But still… DRS should help drivers at places where overtaking is difficult, not at the most obvious places. The last harpin at Sepang has always been a good overtaking spot…