2013 F1 season
Eric Boullier says Lotus are getting the best out of Kimi Raikkonen by “limiting what he hates”.
“I don’t think there is anyone on earth who can tell Kimi what to do, so I’m not going to start,” said Boullier following Raikkonen’s victory in the opening race of the season.
“It’s true that the environment we have in Enstone is different and we encourage everyone to be creative and to be themselves – and that seems much better for everyone. For Kimi we do this as much as possible by limiting what he hates.”
Boullier believes Raikkonen has started the new year in better shape than he was in when he made his comeback 12 months ago: “Well he’s smiling more!”
“Kimi is Kimi, he builds himself up – he had a strong season last year, and he ended it even more strongly than he started. He’s starting this season as he finished last year, so he will keep building.”
He believes their Melbourne victory, which is Lotus’s second win in four races, confirms their status as a top team:
“We’re just one race in. We clearly stated that we wanted to be one of the top teams this year, and starting the season like this means that we should be able to fight to reach our target, which is finishing third in the constructors’ championship.
“I think Lotus F1 Team is truly a top team now. If we can be in the position where we can compete for wins, then that is where we wanted to be. From what we’ve achieved in the first race we can build on that nice momentum to one day become world champions again.”
2013 Australian Grand Prix
- F1 fans’ videos from the 2013 Australian Grand Prix
- Raikkonen wins first 2013 Driver of the Weekend poll
- Positive rating for first race of 2013
- Red Bull and Mercedes not the only ones resorting to team orders
- First Predictions round won by Prateek727
2013 F1 season
- Three-day test to take place next week
- Force India hold off Sauber challenge for sixth
- Williams recruit Red Bull and Lotus aero staff
- 2013 F1 season is lowest-rated year since 2009
- Caption Competition 40: Hamilton, Raikkonen and Vettel
Browse all 2013 F1 season articles
Image © Lotus/LAT