Caption Competition 33: Ecclestone and Hembery

Caption CompetitionPosted on | Author Keith Collantine

Bernie Ecclestone, Paul Hembery, Circuit de Catalunya, Barcelona,

It’s been a difficult week for Bernie Ecclestone as prosecutors in Germany confirmed he is being indicted on charges of bribery.

Meanwhile Pirelli’s Paul Hembery has been contending with the aftermath of the spate of tyre failures seen during the British Grand Prix.

What have these two been discussing? That’s for you to decide.

Post your funniest suggestion for a caption below and a selection of the best will appear in tomorrow’s round-up.

Caption Competition

Browse all previous Caption Competitions

Image ?? Pirelli/LAT

81 comments on “Caption Competition 33: Ecclestone and Hembery”

1. PH: “So these new tyres only explode when you press that red button, okay?”
    BE: “Won’t I get to jail for that?”
    PH: “Nah.”

2. Paul: “These tyre explosions look a bit dangerous.”
    Bernie: “Take this bribe and blame something else.”

3. Paul: So Bernie, what about the contract for 2014?
    Bernie: Yes about that, you guys don’t get to do the tyres next year, but you get to do the calender.

4. Fidelecastor
    20th July 2013, 10:52

mizter E. Hi Paul .. what about your boss ? i see Italian judge pronounce à 2 year sentence for the telecom italia controversy ..
    signor Paul .. Yep .. Marco is ok, no jail for this 7 year old affair .. that’s cool … and now it will be an over 7 years delay for the second step of the process .. no problem bernie, .. he will be able to sign for 2014
    You Bernie, how is the process with the German court ?
    mizter E. .. well .. I am 82, 7 years for the first step of the process, 7 more for the second .. 82+ … 96 ..
    I think my kids will have spend all my money before the judgement .. not a matter ..
    all my best to Marco … take care and don’t forget to sign the new contract for the on track publicity .. for the next 14 years ..

5. Thanks Bernie. Everyone knows the brand now. Earlier it was all about cars and drivers. Now the cars and drivers are only there to transport the tires around the track.

6. PH: “We can lend you our best lawyer for the upcoming trial”
    BE: “No thanks, this case has been blown up enough already”

7. BE: I like the shirt, italian made. But the badge!?

8. PH: “Want this spare set for your getaway car?”
    BE: “No thanks. When the German authorities come, I might have to run farther than 25 miles.”

9. PH: Who’s the boss now?

10. Bernie: Not now Paul, I’ve got 26 million problems and your tyres aren’t one!

11. Chris (@tophercheese21)
    20th July 2013, 11:29

Ecclestone: “Don’t give my daughter’s new husband any of your Pirelli condoms. I’m not ready for guaranteed grand children.”

1. Lane (@mrlaner110)
      20th July 2013, 12:01

2. @tophercheese21 did you also watch Top Gear? ;)

1. Chris (@tophercheese21)
        21st July 2013, 1:33

1. @tophercheese21 ah, I was wondering if you were inspired by one of Clarkson’s latest “some says”:

“Some say that he breaks into people’s houses at night and leaves two mysterious extra keys in a kitchen drawer, and that as a result of buying Pirelli condoms this week, he now has seventeen children. All we know is he’s called The Stig!”

1. Chris (@tophercheese21)
            22nd July 2013, 1:42

Haha, Clarkson is priceless!
            However, I stopped watching Top Gear a while ago. Mainly because here in Australia it has been moved to a channel that has ad breaks every 30 seconds. It’s kinda ruined it for me. :(

We wont get to see the new episodes for another few weeks (at least!).

2. @tophercheese21 that makes the BBC look excellent in comparison!

I’ve always been frustrated that they continue to cut the number of episodes in a season and the number of seasons in a year though, it appears as if they are trying to get rid of it… :/

12. Lucas Wilson (@full-throttle-f1)
    20th July 2013, 11:31

Be: “Paul can you make my bribery case degrade into thin air?”

13. Paul Hembery: “We’ve got some Pirelli girls at the motorhome later after the race”
    Bernie: “Ooh, me like … *Naughty face* …”

14. Bernie – “What do I get for extending Pirrelli’s contract for a few more seasons?”
    Paul – “How about supersoft pillows in your jail cell?”
    Bernie – “I’ll pass… don’t want my head blowing off!”

15. Excuse me Bernie but you’re flying low.

16. “Oh God… Who invited Niki?”

1. Lucas Wilson (@full-throttle-f1)
      20th July 2013, 12:09

hahaha :-), I wondered when someone was going to point him out :-)

17. “You were right. Luca does smell amazing.”

18. Paul: “You know you said I had to bribe the German team to do tyre testing?” Bernie: “Yes” Paul: “Well I promised they’d have a favourable outcome as they’re based in Britain” Bernie: “Oh why didn’t we just ask Michelin in 2010? I mean come on, even your trucks use their tyres and not yours!”

19. Paul ” Good luck Bernie, I’ve heard those German prisons make you degrade quicker than a Pirelli on a Merc.
    Bernie ” No problem, 26 million euros will get the germans off my back and Fulda providing next years tyres “

20. BE – I’ll slip you a few million if you can give me something to spice up the races: some exploding tyres perhaps?