Rate the race: 2013 Japanese Grand Prix

2013 Japanese Grand Prix

Paul di Resta, Force India, Suzuka, 2013What did you think of today’s race? Share your verdict on the Japanese Grand Prix.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

[poll id="440"]

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

2013 Japanese Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Japanese Grand Prix articles

Image ?é?Ž Force India

200 comments on Rate the race: 2013 Japanese Grand Prix

1 2 3 6
  1. Bob (@bobthevulcan) said on 13th October 2013, 8:31

An excellent strategic race, and a welcome change of scenery from seeing Vettel just streak off into the distance from the race start. In addition to actual contention for the lead for once, there was lots of drama to follow in the midfield, especially from the Saubers and Ferraris in the Ricciardo train, impressive overtakes down 130R, not to mention the gaggle around Perez in the final laps. Although the end was a tad anti-climactic, I gave it an 8.

• Pandaslap (@pandaslap) said on 13th October 2013, 9:05

@bobthevulcan Well said – although, with WEB and GRO battling in traffic, the ending was pretty exciting.

• DC (@dujedcv) said on 13th October 2013, 10:12

At least we had a proper strategic and on track fight for the lead after a long time. If only there was a different winner…

• Andre (@lheela) said on 13th October 2013, 10:41

So you rate a race not on the actual racing, but on who’s the winner? Very sportsman-like.

• Dphect (@dphect) said on 14th October 2013, 12:50

Isn’t having a winner is part of the racing…?

I’m sure @dujedcv took other parts of the race into consideration, but the fact that Vet won for the 5th race in a row made it a little less enjoyable. If Grosjean won for example, I personally would of enjoyed that a lot more.

• DC (@dujedcv) said on 14th October 2013, 15:35

@lheela
          I have rated the race objectively regardless of the winner. If the winner was someone else, I would still give it the same rating because it was too good to be 6 and not that good to be 8 or higher.
          All in all, a textbook example of a good average race.
          And I have just said that it would be better if someone else had won it only because it was Vettel’s 5th in a row, although this time it was not a getaway win like others, he actually had to fight.

2. Bobby Balboa (@bobby-balboa) said on 13th October 2013, 8:31

Some good battles and varied strategies but had it’s dull periods.

Well done Gutierez

3. Kingshark (@kingshark) said on 13th October 2013, 8:32

Grosjean saved this race from being a total snoozefest. 7/10

• Slava (@slava) said on 13th October 2013, 8:43

It was obvious that Grosjean will not win after first several laps. After 1 pit stops it was obvious that Vettel will win. Boring race.

• @slava how exactly was it obvious? Vettel’s pace was actually relatively poor after the first stops.

• Mark Hitchcock (@mark-hitchcock) said on 13th October 2013, 8:52

@vettel1 He was told by his engineer to stay 2 seconds back.

• Again, how do you the reason that the result “was beyond doubt” given that he was told to hold station, due to degredation fears?

• karter22 (@karter22) said on 13th October 2013, 10:51

@vettel1
            Max, the fact that they had to tell him to hold station, just goes to show that he could´ve gone past both of them much earlier! If he would´ve been cut loose a bit earlier, it would have been a snooze fest!
            I also gave the race a 7. The battles in the midfield made up for a boring race!

• @karter22 actually, that only tells me their strategy was compromised. If Vettel had tried to overtake right away he might’ve wrecked his tyres and had to three stop (perhaps without ever succeeding in overtaking Grosjean), which may well have handed the win to Romain.

• Mike (@mike) said on 14th October 2013, 2:14

@karter22 I think that’s really really unlikely. If Vettel had a decent chance to get past, they would have him do it. Webber couldn’t do it, and they made the decision to get their drivers to back off and save the tyres.

• markyrc (@markyrc) said on 13th October 2013, 8:47

If you rate this race as boring, I’m afraid you should consider stop watch F1 from now on.

• Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 13th October 2013, 9:02

I feel that people have become a bit spoiled.

It’s as if they’re expecting ‘Brazil 2012′ every grand prix.

That was a thoroughly entertaining race.

• Nick (@nick-uk) said on 13th October 2013, 9:08

It depends how you rate ‘boring’. I am all for a ‘less is more’ style when it comes to entertainment. I still think 2010 was better than 2011-2013. Sure each race individually wasn’t as exciting as some of the Pirelli ones but at least in 2010 we had 3 teams with good cars. That was what made it exciting and tense. Now, it’s one team usually who has a clear advantage; and that is boring… massively boring.

• Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 13th October 2013, 9:13

@nick-uk

It’s called “Rate the Race”, not “Rate the Championship”.

Yes, obviously when a team runs away with the championship then the overall picture isn’t as exciting, but it doesn’t mean the racing can’t be. There were some cracking battles!

Vettel won, and he drove very well and earned it. Nothing wrong with that.

• ECWDanSelby (@ecwdanselby) said on 13th October 2013, 9:13

To be fair, this is what i’m asking people to consider.

If Brazil is a 10/10, why on earth would this race be a 10/10? That’s something i’ve never, ever understood..

I know it’s down to opinion and that, but shouldn’t that make Brazil 2012 a 14/10 by default?

I think it’s worth bearing in mind..

• @tophercheese21 absolutely: I’ve only ever made one exception to that rule, and it was the 2012 Brazilian GP, as the championship situation there provided an absolutely mesmerising level of extra depth to an utterly fabulous race regardless!

• Patrick (@paeschli) said on 13th October 2013, 9:02

• I have, I switched off after 7 laps today and won’t be watching anymore. I have watched almost every race for the last 30 years and I detest the fact that drivers are being told not to race, but look after the tyres instead (especially less than 10 laps in). That together with the push button overtaking that drs has brought to the sport. Where is the excitement of overtaking a sitting duck?

I for one want to be on the edge of my seat, scared to blink in case I missed anything and watching the drivers fight it out to the very last lap. Not these procession like races, where you can go make a cup of tea and not miss a thing. Unfortunately ‘in the name of entertainment’ the very essence of formula 1 seems to have been forgotten and I can no longer bear to watch this shambles.

• Paul Crich (@) said on 13th October 2013, 13:18

• maarten.f1 (@maarten-f1) said on 13th October 2013, 16:36

@paulcrich I must’ve watched a different race then. I saw lots of battles today! Battles that went on until the very last lap, different strategies, things that didn’t go as plan. A very good race in my opinion.

• Mike (@mike) said on 14th October 2013, 2:22

@maarten-f1

I agree, of all the criticisms you can make of modern F1, calling it processional surely isn’t one of them.

(The only exception being Vettel haha) -.-

• Loup Garou (@loup-garou) said on 13th October 2013, 15:38

I agree with you. These days, “boring” has become a mantra for most people if Vettel wins, no matter how. On a different forum, a particularly intense anti-Vettel fan mentioned that the Hungarian GP was by far the most interesting so far. No prizes for guessing why!

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 13th October 2013, 21:40

Actually, I was a bit spoiled for choice this weekend with MotoGP as well as the Bathurst 1000KM V8 Supercar races as well as F1, in fact the 1000Km of nose to tale racing on the Mount Panorama circuit was far more exciting than the F1 tyre wear contest, and the motorcycles put on an excellent show as well.

• Nick (@nick-uk) said on 13th October 2013, 8:51

I did actually fall asleep after around lap 30 only to wake up on 51 to see Vettel 7 seconds ahead with Webber coming passed. Can someone tell me how Vettel got ahead?

It was okay. I gave it a 7, which maybe was a bit generous but seeing Romain and Hulkenberg having great races again made up some entertainment. Lotus would be foolish not to hire the Hulk alongside Romain after this latest performance from them both.

One thing that has been bothering me about the Hulk situation is why doesn’t he have much backing? Why is it that a driver who is clearly skilled hasn’t got sponsorhip? Does his performance not draw support and added sponsorship over time, if the answer is no, then the following question is why is his management unable to find him backing? I just can’t fathom why good drivers seem to carry less funding than others. They’ve a safer driver to back over people like Maldonado and Chilton. If I was looking to invest in sponsorship I’d want to back a driver I trusted to deliver and get my brand increased exposure via media interest, generated by solid results and talent.

• JP (@jp1987) said on 13th October 2013, 8:59

@nick-uk Because sponsorship has nothing to do with performance, Companies look for someone that can help them carry their brand in their respective markets. I loooove the Hulk, he is a great driver and cool guy, but I wonder what is his marketability. If a German brand wants to sponsor a German guy….well, they will probably pick Vettel.

Don’t get me wrong, some smaller German firm could use his image for sure. But been under the shadow of Vettel and maybe even Rosberg as the most marketable German driver is not doing any wonders for his career.

• danclapp (@danclapp) said on 13th October 2013, 9:03

Nick admit it you fell asleep when Ham retired(closet Ham fan lol). Ha ha im only kidding im not going to lie i nearly turned off when he had punture he is my fav driver, and im not going to lie i was a lil happy when Ros got pen? Is that wrong to be happy? I just want Ham to inish ahead he deserves it he just been unlucky lately. What happend with Jb today he was not onit really was he even SP was quicker which i thought was odd. Im not gonna lie i thnk it should be JB going because their is surely potential in him, is JB going to get better? Surely not so why they dont give Perez and Hulk the seat i dont know. Not that i think JB should be out of F1 he is easily a top 10 driver(and is better than Perez as of now). I just think its no raw pace that lets him down, great dude though keeps it real.

6 for me race was not great.

• sato113 (@sato113) said on 13th October 2013, 8:57

grosjean actually made this race boring towards the end. he stopped webber from catching vettel

• Nick (@nick-uk) said on 13th October 2013, 9:12

I would have liked to see that, sure. But as much as I like Webber, he’s a wet tea towel trying to dry a dinner plate that’s just been washed up. He couldn’t beat Vettel on his best day. I say this as a relatively vocal Vettel hater.

• Guilherme (@guilherme) said on 13th October 2013, 9:27

@sato113 Blame it on Webber for failing to do a job as good as his team mate when there were at least three reasons why his overtake should have been easier than Vettel’s. Grosjean’s defensive driving was extremely good.

• Kimi4WDC said on 13th October 2013, 10:17

Don’t have to do anything defensive, when they guy behind you keeps on slotting you in the slowest corner just to give you traction edge, instead of trying an alternative line. Webber was very inpatient and boring with his attempts on Romain.

Vettel way smarter driver. Romain is another Webber type driver – it makes more sence with all the crashing Webber had in him fast younger days :)

• Trenthamfolk (@trenthamfolk) said on 13th October 2013, 17:40

Vettel has wiped out more than his fair share of title contenders… Even dubbed the crash kid by whitmarsh I think. People have short memories…

• maarten.f1 (@maarten-f1) said on 13th October 2013, 16:40

@sato113 How did he make it boring? I saw a very exciting battle for 2nd. I don’t get why a race is boring if the win isn’t contested.

• JCost (@jcost) said on 13th October 2013, 14:40

I was hoping that Romain and Lewis could make good starts and take advantage of the bulls because Webber was P1 and he usually has poor starts, too bad Lewis had a flat tyre, but Romain did a great job. I’m yet to understand why Webber went for a 3 stopper…

4. Great race! A bit if a dull mid part of the race as both bulls were told to hold station and I would’ve liked to have seen Webber challenge Vettel towards the end (but then again, Webber didn’t get the move done quickly enough) but great drives again throughout the field!

Solid 8.

5. Valhyre (@ausuma) said on 13th October 2013, 8:34

There were 2 races.
    Pre-Vettel it was a easy 9 out of 10
    and Post-Vettel
    barely a 7.

so…i’ll give it an 8.

6. Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 13th October 2013, 8:34

What a race ! an exciting battle everywhere ! strategically up front, and scraps outside the top 3.

Sad about Mark not winning, but they all did brilliant. That mid-race scrap behind Ricciardo was absolutely glorious ! and everything interesting happened outside DRS… a device that’s sucking my hopes, my thrills, my emotions more and more and more every single race weekend…

What’s interesting, tho, is that for the first time EVER (this should be written in Wikipedia or something), I’ve almost nailed the prediction. I had VET, WEB, GRO, ROS, RAI… that’s shocking…!

7. I’ve seen Grand Prix racing for every position today, great strategies, and great moves…. Best race of the year!

8. Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 13th October 2013, 8:36

I really enjoyed that. Very entertaining race with lots going on all the way through.

Shame though that after all the early promise, Vettel ended up winning yet again. Would’ve been nice to see a different or even a new GP winner for a change.

7/10

9. David-A (@david-a) said on 13th October 2013, 8:36

9/10 – Joint best race this year, along with Germany. Great tactical battle between the top three. Fantastic wheel to wheel racing down the field, especially when Ricciardo held up a bunch of cars. Feel for Grosjean though, it would have been great for him to get a maiden win, or at least hold on for 2nd, behind Vettel, who got the job done as soon as the chance arose.

10. Krichelle (@krichelle) said on 13th October 2013, 8:37

Excellent race, best so far of the season. 10/10.
    -Too bad Webber didn’t pass Grosjean in his first attempt. If he did, then we might have seen a RED BULL SHOWDOWN. haha.
    -Grosjean, driver of the weekend for me, Perfect start, lead half of the race and even though *Grosjean get out of the way so we can have a race at the front*, he was superb this weekend.
    -Too bad for Lewis, Lewis had his best start of the year, and gets hit. Although, no one is at fault there because it was super tight for Vettel to move.

• Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 13th October 2013, 8:41

10/10? You’d consider that as one of the greatest F1 races of all time?

• pSynrg (@psynrg) said on 13th October 2013, 8:45

@magnificent-geoffrey Each to their own. What did you think? Maybe I should disagree with that, whatever it is.

• ECWDanSelby (@ecwdanselby) said on 13th October 2013, 8:47

See, this is the issue I have here sometimes.

And I know i’ll get jumped on, but… I just don’t see how anyone could consider that a ‘perfect’ F1 race. I always ask the question:

Out of interest, how long have you been a fan for? How many races have you seen?

Because if that’s a perfect race, my God, you want to check out some other races!

• Krichelle (@krichelle) said on 13th October 2013, 8:57

@ecwdanselby @magnificent-Geoffrey

10/10 for the season. Not of all time, I rate the race “inside the season” excluding the all time races. If it was all time, then I would give this 7-8 not a 10.

• sato113 (@sato113) said on 13th October 2013, 9:00

@krichelle if you’re rating the race as a comparison to the other races this season, then you’re doing it wrong and skewing the results.
            How did you rate the Aus GP???

• Patrick (@paeschli) said on 13th October 2013, 9:05

Suzuka 2005 was a 10/10 race, this was a 9/10 ^^

• Krichelle (@krichelle) said on 13th October 2013, 9:14

@paeschl
            @sato113
            I based rankings based on the races in the season not of all time. I said that if this was with all time, this would be a 7-8 not a 10. I am a Lewis fan and even though he was out, which I didn’t like, it was still entertaining. Yes, 2005 Suzuka was a superb race, decided to the wire. But, I realize that most people here now, are giving races wherein Raikkonen won, which makes me think that *you know what*.

• Roberto (@roberto) said on 13th October 2013, 9:21

He has every right to rate the race the way he wants. If you’re going to question the ‘validity’ of votes you can start with the people that dock 1-3 points just because Vettel is “leading” or won the race. There is already quite a few of these around.

• Mike (@mike) said on 14th October 2013, 2:27

@roberto

Well said.

• Krichelle (@krichelle) said on 13th October 2013, 8:47

@magnificent-Geoffrey

Not of all time!!! LOL. But definitely the best of the season without “safety cars”. It was a nice race and Red Bull’s strategy made the race result very anxious. We wanted variability, we had variability by Red Bull giving Mark the green light to challenge, only problem was: He didn’t get pass by Grosjean in his first attempt. Not passing Grosjean decided the race.
        There was a lot of action at the end of the race, we saw that Grosjean and Webber caught up to a train of cars. haha

• Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 13th October 2013, 9:00

@krichelle I definitely understand your reasoning and agree that it was an enjoyable race, I just don’t quite think it was 10/10 worthy myself! :P

• ECWDanSelby (@ecwdanselby) said on 13th October 2013, 9:00

That’s fair.

Would be good to hear more people’s justification for some of their high/low scores.

Because judging races by seasons or overall is a huge, huge difference!

I think most seem to vote based on their last one or two races at times lol

I think it might be cool if Keith perhaps outlined what the 10 point scoring system is based on: for the season, or overall (however long you’ve been watching).

Because they’re both extremely different.

• Krichelle (@krichelle) said on 13th October 2013, 9:09

@ecwdanselby @magnificent-Geoffrey

In real, this was a very good race. I wonder if fans, based the race on their “favorite drivers” because even though Lewis was out of the race, which he is my favorite driver, it was still a very good and entertaining race. What made this race entertaining, was Red Bull’s split strategy because I imagine if Webber got passed Romain on his first attempt, we might have had a dramatic finish to the race. And it didn’t occur, which decided the outcome of the race.

• MaroonJack (@maroonjack) said on 13th October 2013, 9:25

I think that two-stop strategy was faster, so going for three stops was what actually decided the race for Webber.

• bosyber (@bosyber) said on 13th October 2013, 13:01

Yeah, but could he have pulled it off, that’s the question @maroonjack, as not that many drivers could today (GRO didn’t but maybe if Lotus had kept eye on VET he should have, not sure).

Anyway, I quite agree with
            the reasoning of @krichelle for why this was a good race. And with @magnificent-geoffrey that it wasn’t a 10/10. In the end I decided on 8/10 – maybe a bit higher than deserved, but it was nice to have a more traditionally ‘good on strategy’ F1 race. Great driving all through the top 10 really too.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 13th October 2013, 21:49

10/10 even with misgivings. sigh.

11. Great race, I would have liked anyone else to win but it’s a 9. That Red Bull tactic was a downer but well Vettel does treat the tyres better but Red Bull didn’t entrust Webber to win.

12. alofan (@alonsofan98) said on 13th October 2013, 8:40

7-Good race overall, after a long time we had a battle for P1.

13. PeterG said on 13th October 2013, 8:42

Yet more ridiculous tyre management.
    I want to see them racing hard & not maintaining 2 second gaps to nurse the stupidly fragile tyres.

Roll on 2014 & the proper racing tyres!

• Barry said on 13th October 2013, 10:29

I’m with you Peter G , been watching f1 since the 60s but if they are not going to let these guys race then it’s time to give it up, even the drivers say they can’t race anymore !

• YES! Thank god there is someone with common sense here! “nurse the tyres!” “maintain the gap” “back off a little bit” “look after the rears” I don’t need to hear that! Give me some more “Go get him” “push harder” “try to pass him” “we are racing!!”

7/10 for rate the race
      0/10 for “keep a distance” tyre management

• subbf1 (@subbu) said on 13th October 2013, 12:06

Maybe i am wrong but didn’t we used to get the same messages during the Bridgestone era. Drivers would back off for a certain time and then try to overtake during pitstop.

• Loup Garou (@loup-garou) said on 13th October 2013, 17:12

Agreed, but why blame the pit management for it? Look what happened to Hamilton. With htese sort of tyres, drivers have to be careful to avoid them going off. I fully agree that they should supply tyres that last and leave it to the drivers to race it out.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 13th October 2013, 22:00

Indeed Peter, how can it be exciting when for 3/4 race drivers are holding position 2 seconds back from the car in front. Chess is for tactics, F1 is for racing.

14. TMF (@tmf42) said on 13th October 2013, 8:43

10/10 – best race of the year and a fight for every position including the win :)

15. Stefanauss (@stefanauss) said on 13th October 2013, 8:43

8/10 – Almost all of that thanks to Grosjean, simply the only one to disrupt the 2-tier F1 we would otherwise have seen.

1 2 3 6