Double doughnuts: Vettel and Webber celebrate 1-2

2013 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Red Bull were celebrating with doughnuts again in Abu Dhabi – and this time Mark Webber joined in as well.

Despite collecting a €25,000 fine after Sebastian Vettel celebrated his fourth world championship win by performing doughnuts in India, both their drivers repeated the feat after their one-two finish yesterday.

Sebastian Vettel, Mark Webber, Red Bull, Yas Marina, 2013“I’ve counted, that’s $125,000,” joked Vettel’s race engineer Guillaume Rocquelin after watching Vettel’s performance at turn seven on his victory lap. “And by the way you can pay that one!” added team principal Christian Horner.

In India the stewards fined Red Bull because Vettel did not return his car to parc ferme after his antics on the start line. This time Vettel made sure he did after being repeatedly warned by Rocquelin.

“Sorry to be on your case but to be clear you do need to bring it home, OK? In the garage.” Vettel, referencing Kimi Raikkonen’s celebrated comments during last year’s race, answered: “To let me quote: yeah, yeah, yeah – I know what I’m doing”.

This time the stewards did not censure Red Bull or either of the drivers after the race.

“It was spontaneous,” said Vettel afterwards. “Obviously I had the experience last week but entering the sort of stadium, I thought it was a very, very good spot, I made sure there was nobody around and I was far away from the lines.”

“I think if we are in a position to think about that then obviously it’s very special because it means we had a very, very good result in the race. So I think there’s a lot of work before we get to decide whether we can do it again or not.”

Red Bull have developed a taste for doughnuts recently, performing more on the helipad of the Burj Al Arab hotel in Dubai last week.

2013 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix articles

Image © Red Bull/Getty

62 comments on Double doughnuts: Vettel and Webber celebrate 1-2

1. mr ROSSI (@mr-rossi) said on 4th November 2013, 16:19

Great to see seb sticking the middle finger (instead of the forefinger) to the fia killjoys ! thank you mark webber also. was great to see.

2. bull mello (@bullmello) said on 4th November 2013, 16:33

Just waiting for the other shoe to drop, the heavy one of the stewards that is. I love the celebrations myself, but can imagine they are not of a like mind on this. They have now set a precedent of no penalty after Abu Dhabi when there was a penalty of sorts after India. The stage is now set for what the stewards seem to excel at, inconsistency. That is where they are most consistent. So, maybe a warning before the next race, or no warning and an inconsistent penalty next time it happens. Now that it has begun again, other drivers will want to do it too. Maybe, just maybe, the stewards will let it go on just to prove they are a bunch of fun loving guys after all.

• crr917 (@crr917) said on 4th November 2013, 16:54

@bullmello You are wrong :P
      FIA reprimanded Vettel in India because he left his car in the middle of the track. That’s why he was told to bring the car to the pits this time. FIA don’t care about the rest and why it should?

• bull mello (@bullmello) said on 4th November 2013, 18:05

@crr917

You are wrong :P

Yes, that’s why I mentioned “penalty of sorts” and I do realize what the penalty was for specifically. The gist of my whole point is whether or not the FIA will consistently, or even inconsistently, clamp down on these type of post race celebrations. You seem to think they will not. Given history, I’m not so sure. I hope they don’t, but we shall see.

3. Fisha695 (@fisha695) said on 4th November 2013, 16:58

Spinning around in circles is fine, but let’s see if they can light ‘em up in a straight line.

4. Akshay (@hamilfan) said on 4th November 2013, 17:29

Vettel is a clever driver . He knew that was the highlight of the race apart from his personal highlight i.e winning the race

5. Bobby (@f1bobby) said on 4th November 2013, 17:46

Well done Red Bull. They should keep doing this until the FIA learn a sense of humour.

6. JamieFranklinF1 (@jamiefranklinf1) said on 4th November 2013, 20:53

I think after seeing the good reaction that Vettel received from doing doughnuts in India, it was decided that doing them again in celebration might help to bring some good light on the team, considering how much negative response they get from the fans for ‘dominating’ the sport. I like seeing it, it’s good for drivers to celebrate. I have to agree with others that it was far more special in India because of the occasion, and that was heightened by Vettel getting out of the car and then bowing to it, but it was still really good to see nonetheless!

7. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 4th November 2013, 21:52

I’m not impressed by this. I appreciate that it might be a silly rule, but that doesn’t give them the right to ignore it, much less flaunt it.

8. Brian Baum said on 5th November 2013, 2:58

I attended the first Abu Dhabi GP in 2009 and sat in those same (North) grandstands. On the cool down lap Mark Webber, after holding off Button’s Brawn for second place, did a set of doughnuts at the same spot the Red Bull cars chose yesterday. It didn’t receive much attention, but it was great to watch.

9. Dj xo2 (@dj-xo2) said on 5th November 2013, 5:21

Oh thank god!!! I woke up in a 2am daze and for a moment thought the whole field was doing donuts, not like their would be anything wrong with that!

10. Webbers donuts are a peculiar shape…. Anyone else notice that it resmbles his opinion of Vettel?

11. Rod Salazar said on 5th November 2013, 10:10

Well, Seb dounuts was very well executed, Closed tight circles. But Webber is Pathetic. His dounuts were more like a Churro