Double points to be awarded for season finale

2014 F1 season

Felipe Massa, Ferrari, Yas Marina, 2013The FIA has announced drivers and teams will score double points at the final race of the season from next year.

The change, one of several items which the FIA said had been “unanimously approved”, has been made “in order to maximise focus on the championship until the end of the campaign”. It was agreed after meetings of the F1 Strategy Group and Formula One Commission today.

Points will be allocated as follows:

Position Normal race Final race
1st 25 50
2nd 18 36
3rd 15 30
4th 12 24
5th 10 20
6th 8 16
7th 6 12
8th 4 8
9th 2 4
10th 1 2

The 2014 F1 season finale will take place at Abu Dhabi.

Over to you

What do you think of the change to the points system? Cast your vote below and have your say in the comments.

Should double points be awarded at the season finale?

• No (91%)
  • No opinion (1%)

Total Voters: 801

Loading ... Loading ...

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

395 comments on Double points to be awarded for season finale

1 8 9 10 11 12 14
  1. Maciek (@maciek) said on 10th December 2013, 0:43

And this comes days after Todt gets…. ummm… ‘re-elected’. Pathetic. There are just so many things wrong with the FIA and F1 it’s difficult to know where to begin. Transparent governance would be an idea, but who am I kidding.

2. I think it was the COTD yesterday or read it somewhere on here where someone said that they had been a fan for a long time and had just about enough of the gimmicks and would tune in to “hope” the changes in 2014 may turn their interest around.

I read this and said to myself, a fan of 16 years or so, “You know what they’ve got a point but I love F1 too much to turn my back on it”.

Then I went on Autosport and then now here today, to find that double points will be awarded in the last race. It was the only time that I’ve been a fan and said “This sport is becoming a joke”. I felt utterly gutted. It’s like when you do something embarrassing and your parents aren’t angry, they are “disappointed in you” and it hits you much worse. I’m disappointed in Formula 1.

As far as I’m concerned F1 is on it’s last legs for me. I don’t mind the DRS, the tires and the new powertrain rules, I didn’t even mind Vettel winning the last nine races because you know what as a Ferrari fan, what goes around come around. It’s just life. But that’s just it isn’t it. This has been angering me in life as well, the willingness to appease every single person. As a coach I say to my players, football isn’t for everyone, neither is the weight room and neither is playing time. If you don’t deserve to play, then you won’t play. When you change the point structure for a single race, just to keep people in the championship fight it gets ridiculous. Someone who is 50 points down with a single race to go, in my opinion, has not shown enough during the season to warrant a championship. They don’t deserve it.

The fact that it would change only 3 of the past 20 championships is irrelevant. It’s the fact that it COULD happen. I think I read a tweet earlier saying that they wish the championship will be sewn up in Brazil next year with a lead of 51 pts, just to anger the FIA. I couldn’t agree more.

3. mda (@mda72) said on 10th December 2013, 1:00

Somebody call IT for me, my computer’s not working. The date says “December 9″, not “April 1″ …

Seriously, it is a joke that any GP should be worth more points than any other. It is beyond a joke that the GP chosen for this honour is Abu Dhabi, and not Monaco which might almost be excuseable. Does anyone imagine that a team or driver that finished second in the final race, but lost the title by less than 25 points to the winner of that race, won’t be screaming blue murder? And have a pretty good point doing so?

4. William (@william) said on 10th December 2013, 1:20

I prefer if they had like a Grand Slam where they award double points for the 1st race which will be always be Australia no matter what. And award double points in Monaco, Suzuka and Interlagos

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 10th December 2013, 4:24

But in tennis those events are longer matches (for the men) and more rounds. Being larger, and by definition far more prestigious, that makes sense. Even giving the more special tracks points is unnecessary and unfair.

• William (@william) said on 10th December 2013, 7:15

True but Formula 1 could always have Quali on Saturday and Races on Saturday and Sunday when there is a grand slam tournament weekend on. I see how its unfair for the circuits when other circuits get more points in the one weekend. But Bernie suggested an idea of a Grand Slam

5. HoHum (@hohum) said on 10th December 2013, 1:43

The 2% of f1f readers who have no opinion on anything but feel the need to let people know that they don’t care seem to be working in cahoots with the 8% who love everything FIA/FOM want to ensure that opposition to FIA/FOM gimmicks cannot be stated as 9 out of 10 F1f readers. If you have no opinion on anything why not explain why you don’t care one way or the other, but if you don’t care about F1 at all please don’t dilute the majority position.

6. Ben (@scuderia29) said on 10th December 2013, 1:52

wow…one race more valuable than the rest? :S i dont get it

7. Ben (@scuderia29) said on 10th December 2013, 1:54

if youre 49 points behind coming into the last race..do you really deserve the chance to still be champion in the final round?

8. Nathan (@ropeswing05) said on 10th December 2013, 2:01

It’s like the NFL saying touchdowns scored in the last minute of a game are worth double.

9. /Checked date… not 4/1.
    /Pinched self… not asleep.
    /Flips table.

I have nothing constructive or even thoughtful to say about this rule, I’m just out.

10. Bebas51 (@agung-inventor) said on 10th December 2013, 2:04

30 – 24 – 22 – 20 – 17 – 15 – 14 – 13 – 12 – 11 – 10 – 9 – 8 – 7 – 6 – 5 – 4 – 3 – 2 – 1

imho, all 20 drivers deserve the point …..if alonso finished in 18, and maldonado finished in 12, logically pastor should get some POINT, not just to be accumulated in drivers position at the last season. This way, everybody will fight till the end …right now, for what purpose they fight each other just to get 12th position ???? nothing just an empty point

11. evered7 (@evered7) said on 10th December 2013, 2:23

I think it is a great idea. But it might seriously upset the driver who loses out on a WDC after leading for most parts of the season.

Also it could raise possibilities of unwanted crashes with teams trying to influence result with the help of a teammate or sister team.

12. tmax (@tmax) said on 10th December 2013, 3:13

There could be tracks where one/some driver(s) are better than the others. In this case the double point system will prove to be a bigger disadvantage to a few and advantage to a few. Very unfair.

13. Hatebreeder (@hatebreeder) said on 10th December 2013, 3:18

…And each driver’s steering wheel will be inside a PiƱata. First to find it gets on pole.

14. sushant008 (@sushant008) said on 10th December 2013, 4:06

OK.It is over now.Goodbye F1.I’m off to IndyCar and WEC from now on.Is there any chance we could get indycarfanatic.co.uk or wecfanatic.co.uk to follow @keithcollantine?

15. Alex Bkk (@alex-bkk) said on 10th December 2013, 4:09