Double points to be awarded for season finale

2014 F1 season

Felipe Massa, Ferrari, Yas Marina, 2013The FIA has announced drivers and teams will score double points at the final race of the season from next year.

The change, one of several items which the FIA said had been “unanimously approved”, has been made “in order to maximise focus on the championship until the end of the campaign”. It was agreed after meetings of the F1 Strategy Group and Formula One Commission today.

Points will be allocated as follows:

Position Normal race Final race
1st 25 50
2nd 18 36
3rd 15 30
4th 12 24
5th 10 20
6th 8 16
7th 6 12
8th 4 8
9th 2 4
10th 1 2

The 2014 F1 season finale will take place at Abu Dhabi.

Over to you

What do you think of the change to the points system? Cast your vote below and have your say in the comments.

Should double points be awarded at the season finale?

• No (91%)
  • No opinion (1%)

Total Voters: 801

Loading ... Loading ...

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

398 comments on Double points to be awarded for season finale

1. Gebraden Kip (@gebradenkip) said on 9th December 2013, 19:28

“I deserve the world title because my Abu Dhabi victory should count for twice as much as the other guy’s Monaco victory.”

– No racing driver, ever.

• ztjackson (@ztjackson) said on 10th December 2013, 2:02

“I deserve the world title because my Abu Dhabi victory third-place should count for twice as much as more than the other guy’s Monaco victory.”

Ugh, that’s even worse!

2. Sir Teukka (@merioksa) said on 9th December 2013, 19:29

Wow. Driver A leads the title race by 49 points before the last race, with Driver B being second. Driver B wins the last race, as Driver A has a mechanical issue and retires. Driver B gets the championship. Absolutely insane rule.

3. JackySteeg (@jackysteeg) said on 9th December 2013, 19:29

So we will see an artificial championship decider on an artificial circuit with, no doubt, plenty of artificial overtaking. At least the FIA is consistent with its decisions.

4. ArtAnonim (@artanonim) said on 9th December 2013, 19:30

I just wonder who comes up with such ideas, and why those ideas are not consulted in any way with the audience they want to bring in front of TVs so hard. Are they not aware that altering the core of point-giving rules that remained unchanged since 1950 for the sake of “entertainment” could be a bit controversial, to say the least?

It looks like the FIA tries to resolve problems created by gimmicks by adding even more gimmicks. “DRS removed the art of passing from the sport, and we went overboard with the tyre fragility, forcing drivers to focus more on preserving them instead of actual racing, therefore making the races for a TV viewer dull – so let’s bring the excitement back by forcing drivers to pit twice and double the points earned in the last round.”

5. OOliver said on 9th December 2013, 19:30

I will not be tempted to say anything bad about old people. But it’s obvious some people belong in a home.

6. Colossal Squid (@colossal-squid) said on 9th December 2013, 19:31

Why don’t we just pick numbers out of a hat and decide who gets points based on that? This is ridiculous and could (almost certainly will) make the championship outcome farcical. Fortune or misfortune in one race should never determine the outcome of a championship and that’s almost precisely what this idiotic new rule seems designed to do. My patience with this gimmickry is quickly wearing thin. I love F1 but it’s starting to move further from what a sport is supposed to be.

7. Awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful decision. Awful.

What if simply because Hamilton is good round Abu Dhabi he wins the title? Or what if a title contender has misfortune? It costs them twice as much.

Who allows them to pass these ideas?

8. @keithcollantine, is there any way we can send a petition to the FIA as a website?

• Nick (@npf1) said on 9th December 2013, 19:33

I think sending them flowers and champagne congratulating them on a great decision is more likely to see it withdrawn.

• Tifoso1989 (@tifoso1989) said on 9th December 2013, 19:44

@vettel1
      I think the only way to stop this drama is the Ferrari veto but i suspect that their silence is suspicious because this is bad for the sport, maybe they were giving a gift elsewhere, Jean Todt passes what he wants and Ferrari get what they want

• @tifoso1989 I just pray to my Flying Spaghetti Monster God that the media listen to us, and pressure the FIA with criticism instead of just blindly agreeing.

They are the only ones who can get something changed now I think.

• Tifoso1989 (@tifoso1989) said on 9th December 2013, 19:54

@vettel1
          I’m on your side but the people that are running the sport doesn’t care in the first place ,all what they want is to make the maximum profit out of it with all the possible ways
          We need another sex scandal

• @tifoso1989 not a bad idea: Bernie working his way round all the WAG’s?

@colossal-squid +1

• OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 9th December 2013, 23:18

@vettel1 @tiffoso1989 to see you two agreeing on this one shows the seriousness of this situation.
            If they don’t change this up, I may not see F1 at all in 2014, and the champion won’t be my accepted-and-fair champion unless he doesn’t depend on this stupid rule.
            Saying that. I’m off 2014. Honestly. I haven’t missed a race since Spa 2000, but this is enough. See you everyone just on the blog, but really, I’m thinking of not seeing next year championship (by knowing last race can spoil all, why would it be worth it to see?)

• OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 9th December 2013, 23:19

@vettel1 @tifoso1989 to see you two agreeing on this one shows the seriousness of this situation.

• Tifoso1989 (@tifoso1989) said on 10th December 2013, 0:23

@omarr-pepper
            To see almost the majority of real fans (whatever team\driver they support) of this sport sick of the FIA/FOM destroying it just to make money is absolutely depressive for me, you talked about the non worthy champion situation which could happen (example : a consistent driver all the year building a huge gap of 49 pt losing the WDC in the final race because of a mechanical failure), as for me i can see another worse situation,imagine under the turbo era a team is having the advantage on a certain track (In the 2009 era Red Bull in Tilkedrome and especially in the Asian tracks or Ferrari which has been historically strong in engine tracks like Monza and Spa), that team will be pushing for his favorite track to be the season final race, and sure Bernie could arrange anything in exchange for cash

• OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 10th December 2013, 0:35

@tifoso1989 yes, we are real fans, but unluckily, and well spotted in your final sentence, all Bernie cares about is cash and more cash.

• Hamilfan (@hamilfan) said on 10th December 2013, 4:57

@vettel1 @omarr-pepper @tifoso1989 boycott Abu Dhabi anyone ?

Ahem or if you were not keen on going in the first place
            try #BoycottAbuDhabi ?

• Colossal Squid (@colossal-squid) said on 9th December 2013, 19:58

May his noodly appendage guide us through these dark times.

9. Robert McKay said on 9th December 2013, 19:33

Plus, at the rate of inflation we’re seeing now, I’m looking forward to the first 1,000 point grand prix at the Zimbabwe Grand Prix 2017.

10. Nedulike (@nedulike) said on 9th December 2013, 19:34

Surely the worst rule introduced since Sunday aggregate qualifying?

11. maarten.f1 (@maarten-f1) said on 9th December 2013, 19:34

Okay……

Hey, aren’t the super license fees determined by the number of points scored? More points == more money

12. Tifoso1989 (@tifoso1989) said on 9th December 2013, 19:37

What an absolute crap idea this is, Why it was not announced before the frenchman has been elected an FIA president ? I just hope that both championships will be decided before Abu Dhabi because it will be unfair to the other circuits, you win 1 race but you get double points, i just want to be wrong but i feel that this is a political decision Abu Dhabi one of the worst tracks in the history will become a title decider with an extra bonus, the media attention will be at its maximum level because with this new system many drivers will have the chance to fight for WDC, Bernie would not be very disappointed either ….

13. Deej92 (@deej92) said on 9th December 2013, 19:38

Wow. Just wow. What on Earth have I just read? I need to lie down. I’m praying this gets overturned.

14. Dan_the_McLaren_fan (@dan_the_mclaren_fan) said on 9th December 2013, 19:40

How to make everyone watch an awful race on a an awful track : double the points ! Now the race in Abu Dhabi won’t just be dull, but it will be very disappointing…

15. Tim M (@tim-m) said on 9th December 2013, 19:40

In short, no. If we have to mess with the points system, I’d rather a point be awarded for fastest lap, and two points for pole position.