Double points to be awarded for season finale

2014 F1 season

Felipe Massa, Ferrari, Yas Marina, 2013The FIA has announced drivers and teams will score double points at the final race of the season from next year.

The change, one of several items which the FIA said had been “unanimously approved”, has been made “in order to maximise focus on the championship until the end of the campaign”. It was agreed after meetings of the F1 Strategy Group and Formula One Commission today.

Points will be allocated as follows:

Position Normal race Final race
1st 25 50
2nd 18 36
3rd 15 30
4th 12 24
5th 10 20
6th 8 16
7th 6 12
8th 4 8
9th 2 4
10th 1 2

The 2014 F1 season finale will take place at Abu Dhabi.

Over to you

What do you think of the change to the points system? Cast your vote below and have your say in the comments.

Should double points be awarded at the season finale?

• No (91%)
  • No opinion (1%)

Total Voters: 801

Loading ... Loading ...

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

395 comments on Double points to be awarded for season finale

1. ken (@kenke) said on 9th December 2013, 19:40

i would prefer puting double points in on of each the most important races in each continent one in europe,one in asia,one in N America, and one in S america,plus the european GP,a total of 5 red marked GPS

2. zomtec (@zomtec) said on 9th December 2013, 19:40

Did they also confirm the two-mandatory-pit-stop-thing? What a joke…

3. Firstly, let me say that I hate this rule. I agree with all the previous comments and all future comments knocking this rule.

However let me argue that a similar scenario occurred in the past. In 1988 Ayrton Senna won the world championship, however Alain Prost ‘scored more points’ than Senna. This was because only the best 11 results out of 16 counted towards the standings. Under this system, Prost could not include points he scored for 3 second places, whereas Senna dropped a 4th and 6th place finish. Effectively under this system some race results counted less than others. This is the exact opposite of the rule changes announced today, where Abu Dhabi will count more than other races. The point I’m trying to make is that not all races have counted equally in the past, and what has been announced today is not a new situation.

4. canadianjoe (@canadianjoe) said on 9th December 2013, 19:44

WOW!!! this is without a doubt the most ridicules points scheme I have seen in my 38 years of following f1.

5. I tried to spend some time thinking of a reasoned, logical argument against this, but then I realised I didn’t have to because it’s so obviously dumb it doesn’t warrant the effort – bit like trying to argue for or against capital punishment with a hedgehog.
    Really, really disappointing.

6. Force Maikel (@force-maikel) said on 9th December 2013, 19:45

Last time I checked marihuana is still not legalised in most parts of the world…

7. OEL F1 (@oel-f1) said on 9th December 2013, 19:49

At least they haven’t introduced a reversed grid system a la GP2. Yet.

8. BasCB (@bascb) said on 9th December 2013, 19:56

Just when the sport is on the brink of bringing back some relevance and a new challenge with the new engine/drivetrain format, they have to ruin it all by stupid things like keeping DRS, introducing mandatory 2 pitstop races with regulated stint lengths and making AbuDhabi the permanent and double points season finale (because they are just about the only ones who will be able to pay Bernies no doubt raised fees for staging that race).

I have never been a big fan of Porsche, but by now the thought of turning into a Porsche/Webber fan and sitting out a year of F1 is starting to feel more and more of a draw on me.

• WEC is a squillion times better right now @bascb, and this is despite the fact that I haven’t been following it that long compared to F1. Flat out from the word go, no apparent lapping to a delta time, no magic overtaking switches. Just brilliant and beautiful machines going flat out for hours. It’s great!

9. Olivier (@olivenoire) said on 9th December 2013, 19:58

Ridiculous, time to stop watching F1

10. xjr15jaaag (@xjr15jaaag) said on 9th December 2013, 19:58

Wouldn’t it be brilliant if Vettel wins the title at Suzuka next year?

11. Daniel (@collettdumbletonhall) said on 9th December 2013, 20:05

Right, that’s it. No more F1 for me as it’s beyond a joke now. This is the nail in the coffin. Since 2010 the rule changes have been ruining what should have been a great era. 2012 was a great year but I would have enjoyed it more had they shown all the races live on the BBC and had there been no DRS.
    Time to find another hobby.

12. Neel Jani (@neelv27) said on 9th December 2013, 20:11

A very poor idea to say the least.

They are trying to make the sport very synthetic just to keep up the “excitement”. Common man! How would one feel if a driver looses the title in the final round just because of this stupid double points system? Ridiculous.

13. Spawinte (@spawinte) said on 9th December 2013, 20:12

No FIA. That’s a bad FIA. Step away from the NASCAR broadcast.

14. Millirem (@millirem) said on 9th December 2013, 20:22

I haven’t seen anyone comment on a concern with the impact this could have on spending. The expectation of this honeypot at the end of the season is to have a significant effect on championship standings. And at the top of standings we could see one team or driver leapfrog another, but at the bottom of the grid we could see even more drastic impact from these points increases. Drastic impact which will drive the smaller teams to continue development through the last race of the year, possibly spending considerable amounts of money on a bespoke Abu Dhabi setup. No, no,no, I’m not against competition.

I don’t think that this is the right way to increase competition and decrease costs, two goals which seem to be mutually exclusive.

Todt said that cutting cost is his primary objective for F1, though that he wouldn’t be able to do anything about it until 2015. This is truly a joke to me.