Vettel and Magnussen escape yellow flag penalties

2014 Australian Grand Prix

Kevin Magnussen, McLaren, Albert Park, 2014Sebastian Vettel and Kevin Magnussen have been cleared of failing to slow sufficiently for yellow flags during qualifying.

The stewards examined whether both drivers had not reduced their speed when yellow flags were displayed at turn three during Q2 following Kimi Raikkonen’s crash.

The stewards said Vettel’s explanation was backed up by telemetry from his car. “The driver had slowed sufficiently and was fully in control,” they ruled.

Although they weren’t able to corroborate Magnussen’s explanation in the same way, he was also cleared.

“While the telemetry was inconclusive due to very different track conditions between laps, the stewards were satisfied from the video and the driver’s explanation that he was sufficiently slow and under control,” they ruled.

Magnussen and Vettel will start from fourth and twelfth respectively.

Fernando Alonso and Esteban Gutierrez are also being investigated for other potential infringements during qualifying.

2014 Australian Grand Prix

Browse all 2014 Australian Grand Prix articles

Image © McLaren/Hoch Zwei

29 comments on Vettel and Magnussen escape yellow flag penalties

1. Lucas Wilson (@full-throttle-f1) said on 15th March 2014, 9:48

Typical, Vettel gets off scot free and poor rookies have to pay the price…

2. JCost (@jcost) said on 15th March 2014, 9:56

Good decision in my book.

3. Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 15th March 2014, 9:57

The driver’s explanation supported by the telemetry satisfied the stewards that, under changing track conditions, the driver had slowed sufficiently and was fully in control.

Upon further review, Magnificent Geoffrey is satisfied that a sufficient investigation and thorough analysis of the alleged infringement was carried out to an acceptable standard and can accept that the conclusion reached by the stewards to take no action constitutes a proper and just application of the regulations by the relevant authority.

4. Patrick (@paeschli) said on 15th March 2014, 9:58

No penality for Magnussen too ;)

5. Tomsk (@tomsk) said on 15th March 2014, 9:58

Bring on the penalty points, says Vandoorne…

6. Daniel Thomas (@iamdanthomas) said on 15th March 2014, 10:34

I’ve just seen the video on the BBC of Vettel getting booed. I know in sports like football the crowd can be hostile, but I never thought F1 would be the same.

Presumably it’s not just the dominance, but the fact he dominated an Australian that prompted today’s booing, and the incidents in Turkey 2010 and Malaysia last year can’t have helped. Hopefully it doesn’t become a feature of the season, because he’s a brilliant driver and a nice guy.

I didn’t like seeing Vettel win every week, but he doesn’t deserve that. Problem is, what can anyone do about it?

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 15th March 2014, 13:08

I’ve been waiting for some sort of outrage, although I didn’t know until you mentioned it that they were booing him. I wondered as soon as they cheered him not making Q3 if that would draw as much outrage as the booing did last year. Seems it hasn’t.

• aka_robyn said on 15th March 2014, 13:20

This and other fan behavior over the past year have pretty much sapped any desire I ever had to attend another grand prix in person. If that means I’m not a “true fan” — well, at this point I’d actually consider that a compliment. I’d prefer not to be considered among their ranks.

7. skipgamer (@skipgamer) said on 15th March 2014, 10:35

Well Magnussen seems to have politicked this well. Inconclusive telemetry (ie, he didn’t actually slow or they would have said it was conclusive) and still managed to “satisfy the stewards with his explanation.”

Lucky, clever boy.

8. ME4ME (@me4me) said on 15th March 2014, 10:54

Antony Davidson showed Vettel drive past Raikkonen on the sky-pad. The first sign of yellow he got was on his dashboard, but this was while he was mid-corner and thus his steering wheel was in the way for him to see the light turn yellow. So a penalty would’ve been harsh. Good news that both drivers were checked and cleared.

9. OOliver said on 15th March 2014, 10:55

Although they weren’t able to corroborate Magussen’s explanation in the same way, he was also cleared.

This is what worries me about these yellow flag infringements. The stewards talk about the driver being in control, which leaves me to believe, a different driver would probably get a penalty if not to the liking of the stewards.

10. Mashiat (@) said on 15th March 2014, 11:20

Alonso escaped penalty as well.

11. Coanda (@ming-mong) said on 15th March 2014, 12:12

I read Alonso is under investigation as well..

12. Jason (@jason12) said on 15th March 2014, 17:22

Inconclusive telemetry but innocent.

Gotta love the stewards.