Rate the race: 2014 Canadian Grand Prix

2014 Canadian Grand Prix

Felipe Massa, Williams, Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, 2014What did you think of today’s race? Share your verdict on the Canadian Grand Prix.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2014 Canadian Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (1%)
  • 2 (0%)
  • 3 (0%)
  • 4 (0%)
  • 5 (0%)
  • 6 (0%)
  • 7 (2%)
  • 8 (12%)
  • 9 (37%)
  • 10 (48%)

Total Voters: 885

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

You need an F1 Fanatic account to vote. Register an account here or read more about registering here. When this poll is closed the result will be displayed instead of the voting form.

See the results for past seasons here:

2014 Canadian Grand Prix

Browse all 2014 Canadian Grand Prix articles

Image © Williams/LAT

244 comments on Rate the race: 2014 Canadian Grand Prix

1 6 7 8
  1. Hemz Shaw (@hemzshaw) said on 9th June 2014, 6:23

10. For making me sit on my ass at the edge of the chair and rubbing my nails in a lonely dark room, seeing Perez running second in the SFI. Only if he could have overtook ROS, he would have a great chance to be a winner. Gutted.

I was more disappointed to see Hulk not overcome his 5th place syndrome, while being the Mr. Consistent of the two. Happy for what SFI did with the car but Williams really showed a lot more speed. They just looked like the best Merc customer team out there. They still struggle with tyres as compared to FI.

Happy to see the “smiling F1 man” take his first career victory, but would have loved it more had the battle for the first been more complicated.

2. Keith Campbell (@keithedin) said on 9th June 2014, 8:46

So who had Ricciardo, Rosberg, Vettel, Button, Hulkenberg in predictions championship? Fantastically unpredictable race, plenty of different strategies, unreliability, incidents and drama. I ‘only’ rated it a 9, because the actual wheel-to-wheel stuff wasn’t inspiring, either simple DRS passes or follow the leader with not a whole lot between those extremes – so it was really misfortune that provided the excitement over the racing. Still a great race (though personally i prefered Bahrain).

3. Sean Doyle (@spdoyle17) said on 9th June 2014, 9:17

8. 5/10 first half, 10/10 second half.

That latter half had me on the edge of my seat, tense, willing on Perez until his issues led to heartbreak. Hats off to RIC, but it’s rare for me to be so invested in any sporting event to jump up in a minute-long profane, profuse tirade of screaming. Only a 10/10 latter half could do that.

I know the nature of the sport, particularly after a mandated or innovative equipment change allows for one team to dominate. That first half had me in a stupor of, “Well, Nico will have pit lap choice, they’re two stopping, so either Lewis will kill his tyres putting down qualy laps, or kill his car.” Given Lewis’ rearward bias, it was the latter.

That second half, though… It was bittersweet that Checo’s setup favored Sector 3 while Nico’s favored Sector 1. With Checo so fast in the speed trap to negate Renault + DRS, he could defend easily, but a setup which gave him that was comprised in Sector 1, slowing those who followed while losing most of a second vs. Nico.

Regarding Massa vs. Perez, could Perez simply have moved over to take a line that would require less brakes, cooling them enough over the final lap to defend against Massa? It blocked Massa’s line, and may have saved enough to keep within DRS range of Vettel. We’ll never know, but the idea that Massa had planned his move since the hairpin and went into autopilot afterwards is hard to shake.

4. Osvaldas31 (@osvaldas31) said on 9th June 2014, 10:00

Definetely a 10. It had everything, which a racing fan would want from a race and more: battle for the lead, anticipation for something happening, crashes, dramas, ruined chances and unexpected result. It was the best race since Brazil 2012. It reminded me the old times.

5. Rahul said on 9th June 2014, 10:29

10/10 disappointing for FI :-( but a great race!

6. Mads (@mads) said on 9th June 2014, 11:04

If this isn’t a 10 I don’t know what is.

7. karter22 (@karter22) said on 9th June 2014, 11:26

Good race, gave it a 9.
    Why? ROS should have gotten a penalty; Hamilton out because of engine issues; Ferrari no-where to be found and finally a damn shame MAS and PER didn´t take out Vettel a la Grosjean!! LOL

8. Ricardo Ferreira (@yes-master) said on 9th June 2014, 12:17

A 9. If it was a decisive race, a championship title race, I would give it a 10.
    Brilliant job from RBR, Force India and Williams. And we had to wait 7 races, till finally watch the Mercedes having serious problems.
    A huge victory for Ricciardo. Well deserved. Vettel is improving. Massa was very unlucky. Perez couldn’t handle the pressure or the braking problem, and Nico proved to be a brilliant racer also, as he managed to keep his car safe in second position. So, Ham, he’ll have to work a lot now to get back into the race for the title.
    Another disappointing Ferrari race.

9. Pennyroyal tea (@peartree) said on 9th June 2014, 17:17

8. Dramatic but the downside is that the race is marked by the relative powertrain performances and unreliability.

10. sbl on tour (@sbl-on-tour) said on 9th June 2014, 18:33

come on, if merc hadnt have failed it would just have been the same old bore fest, why people cant see that is beyond me

• MtlRacer (@mtlracer) said on 10th June 2014, 4:29

Seriously? Mercs problems were only a small factor in a fantastic race. There was plenty of action throughout the field that even if they hadn’t had issues and finished one-two, this would still be 9 or 10, as there would have been continued great fight between the two Mercs and all the rest of the fights still going on among the rest of the pack.
      I guess you mustn’t have appreciated Bahrain much either.

• Strontium (@strontium) said on 10th June 2014, 12:05

If the Mercedes hadn’t failed then the battle between Rosberg and Hamilton would have continued, hence giving a potentially equally good show.

11. sonia luff (@sonia54) said on 9th June 2014, 18:48

I only rated it 9 as over my 50 yrs of watching i’ve witnessed better races with overtakes without electronic aids sorry

12. Timothy Katz (@timothykatz) said on 9th June 2014, 20:42

Well I voted it a 1.
    Yes, a one. I was so annoyed with the Massa/Perez crash that I stormed out of the room and felt like thumping partner in the kitchen. It should have ended Ric, Ros, Mas, Per, Vet and I would have voted a ten for the best race of this season, or last.

13. stefano (@alfa145) said on 9th June 2014, 23:11

Didn’t give it a 10, but still a solid 9, because everybody got close on mercedes not on complete merit, but following hard and heavy problems from them, which makes it a little bit unfair to me. When and if the other teams will get close on mercedes and actually overtake them on proper merit, that’ll be a 10 (if the race deserves it)

14. us-brian (@us-brian) said on 9th June 2014, 23:26

This was an awesome race. Even my wife who doesn’t really watch more than 10 minutes of a race couldn’t get away from the TV.
    I gave it a 10.
    But honestly…. after the safety car period I really thought that the Mercedes Cars would take another one… until the reliability bug hit.

15. PJA (@pja) said on 10th June 2014, 19:09

I rated the race an 8.

The Canadian GP is one of my favourites and I am glad the BBC showed it live as if I had to choose races to watch before the season started, Canada would probably be my first pick as it often seems to produce entertaining races.

In the first part of the Grand Prix I thought I would be disappointed as it seemed like it would just be another Mercedes 1-2 with Rosberg holding off Hamilton and there didn’t seem to be that much action overall.

Hamilton then started to get closer but I didn’t think he was going to get past especially when Rosberg was somehow not penalised for cutting the chicane when I thought it was obvious he had gained an advantage.

However when both Mercedes developed car trouble it added some more excitement to the race as it looked like they would finally bet beaten, but then when the other cars caught Rosberg up after Hamilton’s retirement they didn’t seem to be able to challenge him, first with Perez immediately behind on his one stopper or Massa catching the back of the pack up on fresher tyres.

However Ricciardo had been waiting and timed his attack right to get past Perez and then Rosberg to take his first Grand Prix victory.

Then on the last lap there was that massive crash, thankfully Massa and Perez were okay.

I must say that the TV footage could defiantly have been better, there were a few times the director choose to show shots of the crowd or mechanics sitting in the garages when there was action to be seen on the circuit.

Most notably after the second round of stops when Hamilton ran wide at the hairpin with Rosberg retaking the lead the TV then cut to the crowd’s reaction instead of focusing on the cars where Hamilton was trying to get the lead back before ultimately his brakes failed.

We also didn’t get to see how Button managed to get fourth at the end.

1 6 7 8