2011 Korean Grand Prix discussion

This discussion page is closed. If you want to discuss going to the Korean Grand Prix please go to the new discussion forum here: Going to the Korean Grand Prix

This area is for people who are attending or planning to attend the 2011 Korean Grand Prix at Jeonnam.

Use the comments below to share your thoughts on the race, where on the track you intend to watch from, how you’ll get to the track and more.

Been to the Korean International Circuit before? Tell us about it here: Korean International Circuit ?ǣ spectators? experiences

2011 Korean Grand Prix

Taken any pictures or video at the race?

If you’ve got any pictures or video from the race weekend you can share them with F1 Fanatic by uploading them to our drop.io, or you can arrange to email them in. Contributions are always welcome.

94 comments on 2011 Korean Grand Prix discussion

1. I can’t find anything over here about booking accommodation for the Grand Prix. Can anyone help? I don’t just want to turn up during the weekend with no where to stay, but literally can’t find anything.

• drmikki (@drmikki) said on 1st October 2011, 9:33

Gougie, this close I would probably just ring the accomodation number on the website. I ended up looking for hours the last few weeks, as the accomodation I booked in January (!!!) which was still miles away in Gwangju suddenly ‘changed ownership and cannot honour your booking’.

As I am working there, the organisers are sorting me out for somewhere to stay, but they said even they were struggling.

Good luck! If I can’t work out how to cancel my tickets they are all yours…

• Chris Yu Rhee (@chris-yu-rhee) said on 1st October 2011, 12:41

His wife probably now ‘owns’ it.. LOL Just a ploy to break reservations booked at a low rate, I’d bet (I live here).

I bet they wanted a LOT more per night now, didn’t they? ‘Sa Gee Goon’ is how you describe people like this in Korean-it means “con man”.

I hope it all works out. Are you going to be a marshal?

• drmikki (@drmikki) said on 1st October 2011, 12:53

Not sure about the change of ownership or the price to be honest, it was through a booking agency. The booking agency arranged something else at a similar price in Gwangju but I was in DPRK and had no internet access for 3 weeks so it was gone by the time I got back.

Medical team, should be good. I met Heikki in Singapore and told him I definitely don’t want to see him in Korea!

• Gougie (@gougie) said on 1st October 2011, 13:01

I’ve been asking my friend who lives in Seoul for a while now to help me find something but I think he’s been too busy to look for anything. I have however been emailing a guy I came across from googling things, who seems to organise tours for expats in Korea. This is their site:

So if I can’t find anything else I might just go along with that.

• Chris Yu Rhee (@chris-yu-rhee) said on 1st October 2011, 13:30

DPRK???? Obviously not a yankee like me, then. Have a good time. You’re lucky. They have to find a place for you, and you’ll probably get to see a bit of the race.
            I’ll in my lazy-boy drinking a diet coke…

2. drmikki (@drmikki) said on 1st October 2011, 13:40

I’ll have my Fanvision, but should be in the med centre so won’t see too much.

Americans are allowed in the DPRK – about half of our group were American, there are just slightly more of the ever-present illogical restrictions. For example, they had to fly in and out, whereas I left by train. The border guard examination was interesting – they wanted to look at the books we had. She didn’t care less about the propaganda biography of Kim Jong Il I had bought, but spent ages looking at my Formula One and Business management book, presumably trying to work out if I was trying to smuggle something out. I tried to explain F1 but I learnt that in a land with very few privately owned vehicles and few sealed roads, perhaps trying to explain motorracing and making car noises doesn’t translate!

• Chris Yu Rhee (@chris-yu-rhee) said on 1st October 2011, 17:31

Will Fanvison work in Korea? I have never seen any mention of it here.

• drmikki (@drmikki) said on 2nd October 2011, 8:43

Yes, they work at every race (they get FOM broadcast, team radio, public announcer and (thank god) BBC radio 5Live commentary) and many of the teams use them, particularly for corporate guests etc.

According to the email they sent me, there will be a single Fanvision kiosk site in Korea – it will be on the infield, in “F1 Village” just before the start/finish line.

3. drmikki (@drmikki) said on 3rd October 2011, 2:52

Finally worked out how to cancel my Interpark ticket, since I won’t be using it but will need the $$ – partly as the organisers haven’t told me how much accom will cost yet O_o

I decided that the chance of being able to scalp the ticket at the race was going to be slim to none!

If anyone is looking for a ticket close to the front of a grandstand, Side 1. Row 3. 9 , Grandstand B_3-Day Pass just became available :-P Interpark website

4. Gougie (@gougie) said on 3rd October 2011, 14:37

Did you check out the link I put up? Thought it might be useful! Think it’s what I’m going for!

• Chris Yu Rhee (@chris-yu-rhee) said on 3rd October 2011, 17:09

Looks great! Thanks. There are still a ton of empty camping sites at the city ‘hall’ or wherever the camping is.

• Chris Yu Rhee (@chris-yu-rhee) said on 4th October 2011, 13:46

Wonder why the Korean F1 website doesn’t work? they changed the web address! Pretty brilliant thing to do right before a race. the ONLY reason I found out was I decided to allow pop-ups on the Old site to see if that might help me find out information on camping…
      The new website is;

5. Alan (@dogmop) said on 3rd October 2011, 15:11

Hotelwide might be worth a check, it’s where I booked my hotel though that was a long while ago, and I still have quite a commute to get to the circuit. Wondering if it’s worth renting a car and sitting in traffic or trying to rely on the public transport to get from Gwangju, the information site makes it look so easy but I can imagine it being quite a trek as what Chris has been saying.

6. Gougie (@gougie) said on 3rd October 2011, 18:40

I’m guessing the upper section of the main grand stand will be better than the lower??

7. Chris Yu Rhee (@chris-yu-rhee) said on 4th October 2011, 13:24

The new website is;

Boneheads. That’s all I have to say (except disable your pop-up blocker)

• Chris Yu Rhee (@chris-yu-rhee) said on 4th October 2011, 13:27

As I dig further, it’s blatantly obvious they didn’t use an English-speaking proofreader when making the site…

This is getting (more) embarrasing by the minute.

• Alan (@dogmop) said on 4th October 2011, 14:53

I saw on the guide when I was buying ticket originally, they had driver comments so obviously Vettel, Alonso, Hamilton and ‘Jackson Burton’…. wait who?

• Alan (@dogmop) said on 5th October 2011, 10:26

Noticed it’s different on the English site now, still can’t spell Jenson though, Jensen Button… Closer at least.

• Chris Yu Rhee (@chris-yu-rhee) said on 4th October 2011, 13:31

Ahhh, phone number(s).

(061) 288-4201
      (061) 288-4202
      (061) 288-4203
      (061) 288-4204
      (061) 288-4205
      (061) 288-4206

No, they don’t have rotary phone systems here…

from international;
      011-82-61-288-4201~6

• Alan (@dogmop) said on 4th October 2011, 14:56

I think maybe the site was down temporarily as http://www.koreangp.kr/html/main.jsp still works for me (which is the main url I had for it anyway).

• Gougie (@gougie) said on 4th October 2011, 15:48

Both sites now work for me. I still however can not see anything about camping on either of them!

• Chris Yu Rhee (@chris-yu-rhee) said on 5th October 2011, 3:56

The info for camping is on the right-hand side, in the vertical menu under the checkered flag. It’s the first choice at the top. Disable your popup blocker first, though. It comes up in a new window.

8. Gougie (@gougie) said on 5th October 2011, 16:44

I presume Gootickets are fine? Can’t get the tickets I want on Interpark. …Leaving it all a bit last minute! lol

9. Chris Yu Rhee (@chris-yu-rhee) said on 6th October 2011, 1:35

10 days to go until the 2011 race, and the media silence is deafening… and telling.

10. samuelchang said on 6th October 2011, 12:58

Hey guys, I’m going to the F1. But I also had a big problem finding a place to stay. Can someone help me out too? I really don’t want to do ktx every day of the event.

Thanks – email me at lets_Ride@hotmail.com, I will be in grandstand J… since i heard is a “good one” to stay at.

11. Alan (@dogmop) said on 10th October 2011, 10:35

Arrived in Seoul this afternoon, does seem to be some buzz for the race so that’s good. First time Seoul (heading down to the south coast on Friday), can anyone recommend a good place for a westerner to eat? :)

• Chris Yu Rhee (@chris-yu-rhee) said on 10th October 2011, 13:10

Glad to hear that there’s ‘buzz’ about the race there. I haven’t seen any where I live.

Where are you staying in Seoul? There are so many different areas of Seoul, and many different Western-style restaurants if you don’t want Korean food.

TGI Fridays, Bennigans, Outback Steakhouse, Domino’s pizza, Papa John’s pizza (the best pizza in Korea and California) are just a few.

Any Korean place that has English on the menu would be ok. Use your credit card-it’s easier as most restaurants don’t take foreign currency.

If you don’t like spicy, “Mepp-ddah?”, asked like a question is how to ask if it’s spicy. “Nay”, or “yeah” means yes, “Ahn knee yo” or “Ahn-knee” means no.

Rule of thumb-if it’s red, it’s spicy. “Chun-yang-go-chew” are green peppers that will make your tongue blister. They’ll be cut up in soups, etc. I love ‘em. However, they sometimes serve whole mild green peppers as a side dish with mixed red pepper paste in a little bowl to dip them in. Those peppers are (almost always) not that spicy.

Non-spicy suggestions:
      “Dole-soat-bee-bim-bap” (rice with meat, veggies, and egg in a VERY HOT bowl),
      “cal-gook-soo” (flour noodle soup-you have to add salt and pepper to taste),
      “bull-go-gee” (thinly sliced beef cooked in a stew-like fashion),
      “maan-doo-gook” (meat wonton soup),
      “duck-maan-doo-gook” (meat wonton soup with rice cakes),
      “Kal-bee-taang” (beef rib soup-add salt and peeper to taste),
      “wong-kal-bee” (pork you cook at your own table with lots of side dishes),
      and “doan-kass” (fried pork cutlet with brown sauce) are not spicy.

It is common to cook your meat at your table. The “ahh-joo-ma” (waitresses) usually will help foreigners A LOT. :^)

“kim-pop” is the Korean equivalent of a sandwich. I love the spicy tuna “Chaam-chee-kim-pop” the best. The are kim-pop places everywhere, and they usually serve most of the foods listed above and are inexpensive.

The street vendors are usually very good, too. If you see a lot of people buying stuff, they’re ok. Bad food vendors don’t last long here.
      The bread that is shaped like a fish has mildly-sweet red bean paste inside. If you find ones that sell the bread that looks like a really thick, small pancake, they’re great! It has melted brown sugar inside. Yummmm…

Don’t be fooled by Soju, the national drink. It’s only 20% alcohol, but it’s very, very sneaky!!!! ;^)

Have fun!!!

• peter (@) said on 10th October 2011, 18:30

Hi Alan,

In Seoul, I recommend to take subway line No.2 (Green line) to visit usual Korean young people having night life. Some places recommeded in travel-guides are too much focused on foreign travelers.

If you are staying in city-hall area, ‘Sinchon’ or ‘Hongik Univ.’ stations are good.
      If you are in south-eastern area, ‘Gangnam’ station is most crowded one.
      And ‘Samseong (or Samsung)’ station is near to trade-center, then it’s convienient for foriegners.

As Chris recommended, you could go well known western restaurant brand to easy select. Or you could try Korean restaurant if they show pictures with English menu.

Anyway, I think I could see you on the race-day in Yeongam.
      because my Sunday ticket is showing grandstand ‘R’.upper.block 12.row 6.seat 6.

• Alan (@dogmop) said on 11th October 2011, 14:24

Thanks for the info guys, I ended up going to a BBQ chicken & beer place Daehangno on last night, was very filling since I hadn’t had anything since a small crappy breakfast on the flight! Loving CASS too. I brought quite a bit of Won with me so only had to use the credit card with shopping and cash in restaurants and 7-elevens. Street food vendors look very tempting for a lunchtime bite, they smell SO good.

I noticed they were showing a repeat of the Japanese GP today and MBC had an F1 countdown on the screen occasionally so it does seem they know what F1 is at least.

Chris I’m staying in Jongno, next to Insa-dong (nice area, I like the cafes there)

Looks like you’re in the same section as me Peter, I’ll be probably the only Williams fan in stand so probably easy to spot xD

12. Hi fellas,

I will be staying at Gwangju and will transit to the track on Friday via KTX and on Sat/Sun with waegooktravel.

Any idea if 1.5 hours by KTX, followed by transit to KIC shuttle bus is sufficient? What is the pick up timings at the Mokpo KTX station?

• peter (@) said on 12th October 2011, 11:21

Hi Lioneldude,

I guess you already checked following link for shuttle bus.

Followings are organizer’s plan written in Korean Q&A board.
      Calculate by yourself – how often they are departing.

Shuttle bus plan : Mokpo Station KIC Parking Lot P1
      - Operation days : 2011.Oct.14th(Friday) ~ Oct.16th(Sunday)
      - Number of buses : (Friday 10, Saturday 20 , Sunday 30)
      - Number of departures : 5 times per day for each bus
      - Distance : 17 Kilometers (35 minutes, might be delayed by traffic)
      - Operation hours
      – Morning : 09:00 ~ 13:30
      – Afternoon : when race finishes ~ 19:30

I will arrive in Mokpo station at Sunday 11:30, and will take above shuttle bus.

13. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 11th October 2011, 16:54

Hello everyone.

Thanks for joining in here to share your experiences of the Korean Grand Prix.

Please be aware that this discussion page will be closed after the forthcoming race.

This is because a new group has been set up with a dedicated forum for the Korean Grand Prix. I hope you will find this a useful step forward over the current system of just having a single page.

You can already join in and add comments to the new group here:

Going to the Korean Grand Prix at Korea International Circuit

14. Hi everyone,

I am sorted for entrance to the track on Saturday and Sunday but I don’t have a Friday ticket. Does anyone know if it is free entry or anything like they do in Malaysia? The only tickets available seem to be 3 day or Saturday or Sunday only, no Friday only tickets. If I do need a ticket will it be possible to just buy one at the entrance when I arrive?

• Chris Yu Rhee (@chris-yu-rhee) said on 14th October 2011, 3:44

I’m not sure. I’d just show up and I’d bet they’ll let you in. It’s not going to be crowded, that’s for sure.

• Alan (@dogmop) said on 14th October 2011, 4:21

is it just fp2 left today? I couldnt translate the schedule on the website. I might not bother heading there until tomorrow as would probably only arrive halfway through fp2

• I showed up for fp2 and they didn’t sell one day tickets, and wouldn’t let me in, so I listened to the cars and watched Practice on my fanvision from the carpark. Really stupid to not sell one day tickets when there’s a) people wanting them and b) 10x as many staff as spectators

15. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 9th December 2011, 14:00