Monte-Carlo – spectators’ experiences

This discussion page is closed. If you want to discuss going to the Monaco Grand Prix please go to the new discussion forum here: Going to the Monaco Grand Prix

Rubens Barrichello, Honda, Monte-Carlo, 2006Tell us about your experiences of visiting the Monte-Carlo street circuit.

You may wish to include:

• When you visited the track
  • Where you watched from
  • How easy it was to get to
  • How much of the track you could see
  • What support races there were
  • What you liked and didn’t like
  • How much it cost and whether it was good value

Please use the reply box below to leave your comments.

Are you going to the 2011 Monaco Grand Prix? Chat with other F1 fans who are going to the race here: 2011 Monaco Grand Prix discussion

339 comments on Monte-Carlo – spectators’ experiences

1. Me & my wife went to the Monaco F1 Grand Prix we used a company called Exclusive F1 Experiences we bought balcony tickets from them, but this year they are also selling places on Yachts! We had the most amazing weekend the views were out of this world and we felt like VIP’s drinking Champagne watching the best race in the world in luxury!
    We will never go back to watching the race from general admission or grand stand seats again. has to be one of the best holidays we have ever had together.

Exclusive F1 Experiences. They were really good, we booked a VIP balcony and

2. Gianni T. said on 20th December 2009, 11:52

I witnessed the GP from 1964 to 2004. Every year I enjoied the race that is unique all over the world. If you are a really fan of F1 races You MUST attend at least 1 time to this schocking spectacle!

3. gary laird said on 27th December 2009, 2:00

Hey Everyone,

My bro and I are heading to the Monaco 2010 Grand Prix, for the entire weekend. Have flights and hotel booked in Nice.

Need info on Seat Numbers. We were going to go for GrandStand E High for qualifying and GrandStand O High for race day. My question is:

How does it work on seat numbers. If we purchase High, does that mean that the last few rows are High and whoever gets their first will get the highest seat, or is row and sit numbered already on your ticket which is really annoying because any site we have been to to buy tickets just says GrandStand O High without any info on row height or number.

I hope to god its first come get the best seat on the high row??.

Is there only 1 high row??

Thanks any info here.

Gary

4. Andy Bennetts said on 27th December 2009, 11:02

Gary,
    Generally speaking all the grandstands have stair access from underneath the seating area. Depending on the configuration you exit from the stair into the middle of the grandstand which slopes from the stair exit up for the high seats and below the stair exits would be low seats – we went for high seats & weren’t disappointed. My experience 2009 was that in quali the stands weren’t full and you could move around to some extent (but Schmacher wasn’t there this year) – on race day it was packed with no chance of going anywhere different. All the seats were numbered – you would need to check with your booking agent exactly where the seats are.
    We watched quali from stand L which was great because you got good views of the pits – lots going on everywhere & take bino’s – you could also see the track pretty well.
    Enjoy the race weekend & take the train to Monaco – it’s all set up for race fans.

5. Rachel said on 28th December 2009, 19:10

Hi,
    I am trying to book tickets for my husbands 30th for the Monaco GP and I can’t decide which Grandstand to go for? I think I have narrowed it down to Grandstand T or Grandstand K (High)… can any of you advise which one to go for???
    Many Thanks,

• Hi Rachel, if you haven’t already sorted this I would be careful with grandstand T, you can see into the pits but only above a certain row number. I don’t remember which row but if you still need help let me know and I’ll find out for you. Regards, Ed.

• Denise said on 19th November 2010, 16:13

Hi,
        You said to Rachel back in february that you could let her know which row you have to be above to see into the Pits in Grandstand T, I’m buying some tickets for my husbands 40th, agonising over which seats (Want to get it Right not too expensively!!!) and I think now after further reading I was going to book Stand T1, not n, o, p, but after reading this I’m a bit concerned, which row do oyu need to be in at least to see the pits??? Can you give any good advise on decent seating?!?!?!?
        Many Thanks
        Denise

• Hi Denise, I posted a reply to your query but it has not shown. I don’t know why but have emailed Keith to find out. I’ll try to post again separate to this with the info. Didn’t want you thinking I just hadn’t responded. Regards, Ed.

6. Hi We are driving down to Monaco in our motor home & are looking for a campsite near the track. Does anyone know of anywhere that is near the race track? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

7. We are coming to Monaco for the Grand Prix in 2010, are there any good restaurants in town to watch qualifying?

Thanks,
    G

• Hi Gwen

There are a few decent restaurants on the pit straight to watch qualifying from with good packages for lunch and viewing etc. but there are a few which aren’t so great. If you still need help let me know and I’ll point you in the right direction.
      Regards
      Ed

• can you let me know whcih restaruants you woudl recommend and which ones to stay away from – thanks

• Hi Stephen

Some of the restaurants were closed or undergoing refurbishment last time I was in Monaco in April but i’m going there again tomorrow to set up for the GP so i’ll have a look at which of the good ones will be open for the GP and let you know.

Regards
          Ed

• Hi Stephen

Sending you this from Monaco harbour now – sorry couldn’t resist :)

Weather not great, hopefully it clears for the weekend, and hopefully the ash cloud disperses to allow flights in. Check your with your airline everyone if your flying to Nice in the next couple of days.

OK, good restaurants on the start/finish straight – chez bacco and le dolce vita. There is one on the first corner also which is quite a good spot (although the thick support posts cause a little obstruction depending where you’re sitting) – the one on the corner used to be called Venezia but it is undergoing complete refurbishment and is under new ownership apparently. Their plan is to have it open for the race but when i walked past today they still had a lot of work to do. Hope that helps, Ed.

• Thanks – and hope the weather gets better!

What is your opinion of quai des artistes or Racass?

• Some people love Rascasse, some hate it. I personally don’t think it’s good value for money but there are people who will disagree. It’s slow and you’re close but you’re close inside, not outside. Artistes is nice but restricted view, they have a website with a video on it so you can get an idea of exactly what you can see.

• let me know what you go for in the end, i’d be interested in what you think of it.

8. gary laird said on 31st December 2009, 11:03

Hey Rachel,

We were thinking about GrandStand High O..It’s rite out on the docks, at the swimming pool & if I’l rite u should get a great view of them coming out of the tunnel, down to tabac, around the swimming pool & also my bro & i r going 2 try and crash a party or 2 on 1 of those yachts…Gotta be able 2 get onto 1….Monaco Baby…Monaco….& Sch is bad…..bring it on!!!!

Also GrandStand K looks good. Its’ at the corner of tabac, where they come out of the tunnel down the straight and turn into the swimming pool area. I read that u need to go GrandStand HIGH K, probably on the left hand side I think. that way u have unlimited views from the tunnel down to tabac, and then into the swimming pool area.

Thats our thoughts. GrandStand E is also another choice. Its the Grandstand situated where they come right ouf the tunnel. You have to get a ferry to it, no other way of getting out there i hear, but if you have tickets for high E you should great views.

Any thoughts here people??.

Also someone where to stay. We started looking at hotels in Nice, somewhere near the train station, NICE-GARE but they say that Monaco Prices have yet to be determined, so my Bro, it has to take credit for this thought about hostels.

Here’s a link, very cheap, all we want is a bed and you can book a private book just for 2.

If you click on the Map link on that page it will show u exactly where the hostels/hotels are relate to the train station. We picked Chambres Chez L’habitant, got great reviews, ight at the train station, very cheap…

Hope some of that was helpful

• Glynn said on 7th February 2010, 18:12

I’m thinking on your wave length, surely one party must be crash-able???
      I ll be in St Tropez the week of the event so will be doing some serious SAS type surveillance but from what I can gather the days before the race is open to some serious parties. I will be out their on my own from the Friday of the race so will be up for a big shin dig so will be trying Rascase. If you think the more the merrier is the way to role I will be up for the crashing. Let me know!!!

9. Glynn said on 4th January 2010, 1:45

Hi am looking to take my dad to Monaco for his 60th. I know that is a great gift but i would love to get something personal signed by a f1 driver. Does anyone know if the drivers are about the week of the race or example walking the track on wednesday etc.

It just you see films on youtube of drivers just walking around the open circuit or at the football game (are tickets available for the charity match).

Thanks
    Glynn

• F1_Gal said on 10th March 2010, 17:26

Yes, as far as I know you can attend the charity football match. Look for more information closer to the GP.

The drivers are definitely around (especially since there isn’t a Friday session) and Monaco is a pretty accessible track in the days leading up to the race. You just have to be in the right place at the right time. Find the track entrances/exits and ask around the other F1 fans where they think the best place to go is because they’ll know where to go.

10. Dave Entrican said on 12th January 2010, 14:38

Myself and my wife are going to Monaco 2010. We would like to watch from a couple of grandstands on the Thursday as prices are around £70, not in the hundreds.

As there are two 90mins practice sessions, we wondered if anyone would like to swap grandstand tickets between the sessions.

We’d like to start with Casino Square and then try maybe Grandstand L next to pits and pool. E-mail daveentrican@googlemail.com if you’d like to do do this too and we can work out how and where to meet between sessions to swap tickets.

Thanks, Dave and Kath

• Dave Entrican said on 20th January 2010, 7:42

Further to above post, we have booked 2 tickets on Thursday 13th May at Grandstand V.

This is opposite the corner leading to the main straight and is the closest you can get to the cars apparently.

As there is 2x 1.5 hrs of F1 practise on Thurs, it would be good if 2 other people wanted to meet between the sessions and exchange tickets, so we can both enjoy viewing from somewhere else on the track.

Reply here or email if you’d like to: daveentrican@googlemail.com.

Thanks

Dave and Kath

11. CORAL said on 25th January 2010, 22:08

hi we are arriving in VILLAFRANCHE

• CORAL said on 25th January 2010, 22:11

hI
      we are arriving in villafranch by cruise ship on the 13th May 2010 – we would love to catch some of the practice on the Thursday but have 2 boys 5 & 8 – how is the transport there and back – do you think it is advisable for a day trip – It is my partners birthday on this day as well – so was hoping to be a surprise present for him

• F1_Gal said on 10th March 2010, 17:22

I believe it is possible to do.

There is a regional train connecting pretty much every town in the Cote d’Azur and Villefranche is about 6 miles west of Monaco so it wouldn’t be a long journey.

You don’t really have to plan ahead for this. Once you arrive in Villefranche just head to the local train station to check the timetables and get your tickets.

As far as the racing, you don’t need tickets to see practice on Thursday. Best advice with that is to check ahead of time when the practice session is supposed to be occurring and see if you can find a train schedule that enables you to watch.

12. I went to the Monaco GP in 2008. It was one of the best experiences of my life. My family did not follow F1 at all and we didn’t know that the GP was going to be happening while we were there so it was a wonderful surprise. We did Monaco on the cheap and so here are some tips for those wishing to spend as little money as possible:

-You do not need to buy tickets to any of the days except race day. If you look hard enough there are places you can watch the qualifying sessions from for free (one of the days we got into grandstands for free but I forget which day that was). You won’t be close up but because Monaco is so small and they put megatrons everywhere you can find spots across the harbor from the track near the aquarium gardens and still see and hear see the race just fine.

-On race day they crack down on security and all the spots we had searched out previously were closed to spectators. We broke down and bought General Admission (Le Rocher, or The Rock)tickets on the day of for 70 euro each.

-We arrived early on race day but Le Rocher was already packed even in the rain. Luckily, early on in the week I decided to pick up a cap for Lewis Hamilton and cheer for the McLaren team. I remembered seeing a whole section of people cheering for McLaren earlier in the week so I decided to search Le Rocher for them and see if they had spots for fellow fans. This particular group of people have come to Monaco for years and are established at the circut. They literally rope of the best seating of the whole section for them and their friends. They have the whole set up of food, drink, chairs, etc. I spotted them and yelled across the rock at them, waving my Lewis cap and asking if they had room for two more Lewis fans. After a slight hesitation they invited us in. Success!

-Because I was lucky to be invited into this roped off section my family had a wonderful experience sitting in General Admission and I would never choose to sit anywhere else. If someone invited me to their balcony or yacht I would pay them a visit to be gracious and then truck it over to Le Rocher for the real fun to begin. This is where the die hard F1 fans sit and the atmosphere is amazing.

-The Le Rocher section sees the pit lane and track entrance exit, has a big megatron adjacent to it, and has a view of the pool straight and a couple turns, as well as fabulous views of almost all of Monaco. They put food vendors here and there are bathrooms located further up the rock.

-If you decide to go all out and sit in Le Rocher be sure to prepare for the weather, bring good shoes and outdoorsy clothes (you are sitting on a mountainside, after all), plenty of food and drink, and a comfortable seating apparatus (towels, chair, etc). The most important thing, however, is a positive and friendly attitude.

-There is a small hostel in Cap d’Ail, the closet French town that is right next to Monaco. This is the closest, cheapest accommodations you can get. I also recommend camping in the area. Traffic is horrible on race day and trains are not always dependable so always have a backup plan.

13. just a few clips i took last year at monaco. this is from Venezia Cafe who have there own private grandstand http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6GSvO2H-IA and the next is from grandstand E just after the tunnel. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87P7RcL_ssc going again this year and will be staying in nice and taking the train to monaco. if you love f1 you have to go to monaco!!

14. Jigar Muni said on 3rd March 2010, 10:46

I am visiting the GP with my wife but am fairly uncertain on which days to visit the GP. My priority is for my wife to see the cars roar by from as close as possible & for her to feel the atmosphere on a race day. I donot want to push the budget for tickets beyond 200EURO/person. What I intend to do is as follows:

* Book tickets in the K stand for thursday practice (approx. 85 EURO)
    * Book tickets for the Rocher for Sunday race (approx. 85 EURO).

OR

* Just book tickets for an T lower for Qualifying (approx. 175 EURO)

Again, I am quite optimistic about thursday practice, since the security is low and drivers are also fairly relax with less crowd. This makes a good setup to sneak into the pits if u are lucky & have really close look at the cars practising, probably even sit inside the cockpit (Happened to me at the Malaysian GP).

Remaning for the expereince of the race, thought Rocher would permit my budget.

thanks

15. Jack said on 25th March 2010, 22:20

Hi,

how is the toilet situation while watching the race from grand stand k during the race?

Thanks.

• Hi Jack

there is a toilet close to K in the underpass to St Devote corner but expect to queue, at times last year we counted more than 50 people waiting in line for the toilets.
      Ed

• Jack said on 29th March 2010, 14:33

Thanks.

I am not sure whether Stand K(6-upper) is better or Stand O(upper)

Could you or other give some tips?

On K I think you see the cars only left and right from you but not in front because they drive on the left side.

Stand O is more far away but the overview should be better.

I booked K6 already but I am thinking of the possibility to change to O …

• Jack said on 29th March 2010, 14:34

Some correction ;-)

… because the drive on the RIGHT side …