BBC’s 2009 F1 team confirmed

The BBC has officially confirmed Jonathan Legard and Martin Brundle as the lead commentators for its F1 coverage in 2009.

Brundle is not the only ex-ITV man joining the team as Ted Kravitz will reprise the role of pit lane commentator alongside Lee McKenzie.

Jake Humphrey will present the studio coverage alongside David Coulthard (who’s just become a father) and former F1 boss Eddie Jordan.

The line-up is exactly the same as that predicted by Pitpass in September, except for the addition of Kravitz. Murray Walker will also be involved in BBC’s online coverage.

I think BBC have made some excellent choices: retaining Brundle was a no-brainer, whatever the FIA had to say about it, and Legard’s proved himself a knowledgeable and enthusiastic F1 commentators in the past.

I’m glad to see Ted Kravitz return too. Lee McKenzie has more than enough motor racing experience (including a handful of rally appearances) to avoid accusations of being a token female presence.

Jake Humphrey is an unknown quantity to me but as far as I’m concerned the live action is the show and I’m not that bothered about the pre-amble. That said, in Coulthard and Jordan he’ll have two pundits who are never short of an opinion.

With that sorted, attention now turns to the technical side of the show. We already expect it all to be available in iPlayer but will we finally get HD coverage? And will we get live footage from all three practice sessions? Watch this space.

More about BBC’s F1 coverage in 2009

28 comments on BBC’s 2009 F1 team confirmed

1. mattclinch said on 24th November 2008, 14:30

i am very happy with that. jake humphrey will come in for some stick, but i think he has the energy and youth exhuberance to pull the info and opinions out of coulthard and jordan.

nice work bbc.

2. Seedy001 said on 24th November 2008, 14:44

Great news about Ted, as you said, Keith, keeping Brundle was a blindingly obvious choice but I thought Ted was rather unfairly over-looked by a lot of people when considering the Beeb’s candidates. He always does a great job and I found his online articles particularly informative, he also (along with Martin) didn’t noticeably suffer from Hamilton-mania: an essential ingrediant they’ll both share with DC I’m sure.

3. Alex Cooper said on 24th November 2008, 14:44

I agree with mattclinch.
    In fact, if I was in charge of the BBC (apart from fearing for my job every half hour due to the likes of John Sergent, Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand) this is the line-up that I’d choose as well.

4. Too Good said on 24th November 2008, 15:10

happy with the BBC team choice.. and happy for Ted Kravitz. Hope to see his Paddock Notebooks on BBC going forward !!!

5. Rob R. said on 24th November 2008, 16:39

Ted Kravitz is an astute chap, I’m pleasantly surprised by that addition. I hope they continue his written reports online.

6. cyanide said on 24th November 2008, 16:41

You lucky Brits! We people watching Star Sports have to make do with Steve Slater and whichever driver/knowledgeable commentator is free that weekend. Sometimes it’s someone nice like Karun Chandhok who can speak and knows the technicalities. Most of the other times though, especially when Alex Yoong is on the mike, the commentary is pretty bad.

7. seems like a great line up
    i’m glad they have Brundle and Coulthard on board for next year

8. Scott Joslin said on 24th November 2008, 17:31

Not a fan of Eddie Jordan….

I wouldn’t say the line up excites me, except Brundle, but I am sure it will be functional and do it’s job.

9. Robert McKay said on 24th November 2008, 17:57

I think the addition of Kravitz gives a good balance between new and original, alongside known quantities that the regulars will recognise.

I’m with Keith – not really bothered about Humphrey and presenting…tuned Rider/Blundell out last year because they had nothing to say. Hopefully the BBC will decrease the build up length but increase the quality of it.

Apparently the support races will be commentated on by other people, so there’s still an announcement on that to come.

10. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 24th November 2008, 19:17

Cyanide – Sorry :-(

But you’ve got five months to hack iPlayer! Here’s what some people have posted so far.

11. ajokay said on 24th November 2008, 19:48

Woot! Nice one Ted! Glad to see he’s staying on.

12. Lady Snowcat said on 24th November 2008, 20:13

Glad about Jonathan Legard who was always a very sane and astute commentator on 5 Live….

Can Jake be worse than Steve Rider… that has to be impossible…

DC and Eddie are likely to have strong and informed views and may even come to blows….

Ted is good news … he has become pretty accomplished … and let’s hope Lee is a good call..

Martin is great…he even made Blundell look relatively knowledgeable at Fuji when we had a welcome release from the nauseating Steve, forever positioned outside the Macca garage ….

I am just praying that it doesn’t become the Lewis Show Mark II…

13. michael counsell said on 24th November 2008, 21:46

Lee Mackenzie is definitely a good idea after presenting pretty much everything else apart from F1. I would have liked to have seen them add an ex top designer or engineer to the line up, like Gary Anderson.

14. Senor Paz said on 24th November 2008, 23:21

Ted Kravitz, oh no!

15. cyanide: I’m with you. Fox Sport (Latin America) is really bad. British viewers are lucky…