Hello to Hector

On the train home from work I usually thrash out a few ideas for articles, listen to podcasts or sleep. The one thing I never do is talk to anyone, because that would violate Rule 1 of Travelling on the London Underground.

This evening, however, someone did speak to me, and I’m glad I resisted the initial urge to pull the passenger alarm. The voice had a friendly face and his name was Hector – he’d spied “F1″ on my laptop and wanted to know if I wrote for a Formula 1 website…

So we shot the breeze and talked about the upcoming season. Hector, it turns out, is from Spain and lives in Britain, so the discussion quickly turned to Hamilton and Alonso at McLaren. He was encouraged by Alonso’s form in testing at Jerez today (see here for more) but we both agreed things are not looking so rosy at McLaren – Hector wondered whether they were missing Alonso’s development input.

Of course we had to talk about the other big story of testing: the surprising pace of Brawn GP’s BGP 001. Will they be among the top four this year? Hector reckoned so, placing them in the top bracket with Ferrari, BMW and Renault. Despite that, he reckons Alonso is Ferrari-bound in the future, “The Tifosi will like him better because he speaks Italian. Raikkonen doesn’t speak much Italian” he said. “Raikkonen doesn’t say much at all,” I ventured.

When we went our separate ways he asked me for the name of the site I wrote for, explaining “I’m an F1 fanatic so I’ll definitely have a look for it.”

Well, I hope you found your way here to meet the rest of us F1 fanatics Hector!

29 comments on Hello to Hector

1. Nice history.

I’m glad another spaniard reads you from Britain! :D

Regards from Spain :)

2. antizyklon said on 16th March 2009, 19:59

You have another F1 Fanatic reader in Palma. Our underground is much smaller though :)

3. Spencer said on 16th March 2009, 20:03

You have a British fanatic who lives in Spain. Does that count?

4. Keith, is it possible to crate a map of your followers world-wide? It may be interesting to see how much user visits this -let’s say- me(e)lting pot from how many different countries (:

Is it?

5. Hounslow said on 16th March 2009, 20:21

Interesting idea from Ali. A map of worldwide appreciation!

6. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 16th March 2009, 20:33

Like that idea a lot. Can you do it on Google Maps? Or does anyone know of another way of doing it?

7. Loki said on 16th March 2009, 20:58

Here’s one way – not glamourous, requires to be done over time, but is free:

8. Loki said on 16th March 2009, 21:02

Actually, a quick search says if you know someone who can programme Google Maps API it should be somewhat straight-forward…

9. ceedas said on 16th March 2009, 21:10

And if Google is too much, you could look at this: http://platial.com/

(although Google Maps do look better)

10. carlos said on 16th March 2009, 22:18

Carlos, in Miami. i visit this website at least once a day. The articles are interesting, informative and lots of insight.Right now i am trying to convince my son to go to the British grand Prix in June.He rather go to Brazil to grandma’s house but I assured him that a GP would be a lot more exciting.
    keep on writing and get the map going…

11. Snoopy said on 16th March 2009, 23:01

So if I am from Finland but live in Australia can i have 2 marks in the map lol.

12. Hector said on 16th March 2009, 23:44

Hello!!

13. Jay Menon said on 17th March 2009, 0:33

Heyy!!! Its Hector!

14. sojcarter said on 17th March 2009, 1:08

I think we have just seen the start of a beautiful friendship!

15. Gman said on 17th March 2009, 1:50

Great story guys- I’ve had a few similar experiences when I have been out in public wearing some of my McLaren gear, or when I see other people in gear from various F1 teams. Some are from other countries, but many are born and raised right here in the U.S.- the more conversations I have like this, the bigger I believe the F1 fanbase over here really is :)

Again, three cheers for good old-fashioned social networking. Enjoy the start of the season everyone, in whatever corner of the globe you may be ;)